Pass and Possession - Drill 4
This drill is set out for players of 14 years plus. For younger players decrease the area of the grid.
The white solid arrows are the path of the ball.
The white dotted arrows is running off the ball.
Equipment : - Cones, bibs, footballs (spaced around coned area)
Formation : - 4 reds v 4 blues v 4 Non Bibs (12 players)
Area : - 70 yards x 50 yards with 4 coned 10 yards x 10 yards squares in each corner
Start position : - 4 Non Bibs start in the 4 squares. 4 reds v 4 blues in the middle.
Key factors : - Reds start with the ball
Quality of passing - short or long - inside of foot / laces
Quality of movement - on the ball - off the ball
Note : -
- When we start the session the set up is 8 v 4 (4 reds and the 4 non bibs in the squares v the 4 blues)
- If pass is not available to a bib player inside grid use a non bib player in the squares (who only has 2 touches)
- Play short or long - whatever pass is on
- Or play box to box
- Look at movement off the ball
- If long - follow the pass to the box. Look for the lay off.
- If short - angles - distance
- Look for overlaps - underlaps
> Play quickly - high tempo
- If you lose possession, the opposition then keep possession
> 8 consecutive passes = a goal
Progression : -
Players in the squares on one touch