Welcome to Photo Page No 2

Photos taken in the Gwent/Monmouthshire Area

Old disused halt on the Former Eastern Valleys Railway - 12th Dec 2009. Passenger services ended in 1941 North of Pontypool and in 1962 throughout the rest of the line.

The line from Newport to Cwmbran closed on 27 October 1963, with traffic being switched to the Pontypool, Caerleon and Newport Railway route.On 3 May 1980 the Big Pit closed, and with it the remainder of the railway line. A section of the northern extension of the line is in preservation as the Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway.

Sections of the line through Cwmbran have been used as the route for the A4051 road, known as Cwmbran Drive

The above platform can be seen close up in the undergrowth on the RHS. The path is route 46 on the National Cycle Network. In the distance is Cwmbran, whilst behind the camera is Panetg & Griffithstown. 

The Open Harth Pub, Sabastapool on the Monmouthshire Canal - 12th Dec 2009. The Pub is located just off cycle route 46 near the Griffithstown Railway Museum. The pub stocks a good selection of Real Ales.

Site of the former Sebastapool Railway Station - 12th December 2009. The station is situated approx 0.5 mile from the Panteg & Griffithstown Station seen in the pictures below. National Cycle Route No 46 now follows the line of the tracks. All the following photo's are taken on the former Eastern Valley's Railway Line, now part of route 46 on the National Cycle Network. 

 

 

 

Looking south along Route 46 of the National Cycle Network Towards the former Sabastapool Train Station.

 

 

 

Griffithstown Railway Museum adjacent to route 46 of the National Cycle Network

 

 

 

 

 

 

Griffithstown Railway Museum adjacent to route 46 of the National Cycle Network.It is housed in a former Great Western Railway goods shed dating from 1879, adjacent to the former Griffithstown railway station.

Martin Fay - an avid collector of railwayana - owns and runs the museum. He was able to purchase the former goods shed, which was in a derelict state, and following renovation opened the museum to the public in 2002.

The museum houses a fine collection of railway memorabilia and model railways. Amongst the items on display are signs from a selection of local Great Western Railways stations. A complete stationmaster's office has been rebuilt within the museum.

 

Former Panteg & Griffithstown Railway Station - 12th December 2009. The station closed in 1962 though the line remained open until 1980 serving Big Pit Colliery. The tracks were lifted shortly after the colliery closed. National Cycle Route No 46 now follows the line of the tracks.

The station building is now in use even today by Ron Crouch Builders Merchants.

Former Panteg & Griffithstown Railway Station taken from the other side. The Path is Route 46 of the National Cycle Network, looking in the direction of Pontypool.

 

 

Canal boats tied up at Goytre Wauf near Pontypool on the Monmouth and Brecon Canal. May 2008. Goytre Wharf, the busiest wharf on the Brecon Canal. The wharf is built on the site of an old lime kiln furnace. Also on site are boat repair workshops, restaurant and private accommodation.

Site of the seven arch Cwmynyscoy Viaduct near Pontypool - May 2010.The Path is Route 46 of the National Cycle Network

Me "hanging on for dear life!!" on the top of the Newport Transporter Bridge 28th May 2007

Me standing at the top of the Sugarloaf Mountain near Abergavenny - 22nd August 2009. Elevation 1955 feet.

 

Big Pit Mining Museum Blaenavon - May 12th 2007.

The Big Pit: National Coal Museum. The pit was first worked in 1860, called "Big Pit" because it was the first shaft in Wales large enough to allow two tramways. In the late 1870s the shaft was deepened to 293 feet. By 1908, Big Pit provided employment for 1,122 people, but this number gradually decreased until by 1970 the workforce only numbered 494. It closed on the 2nd February 1980.

 

Site of Pontypool Blaendare Road railway station near the local comprehensive school - West Mon. May 2010- The Path is Route 46 of the National Cycle Network

 

 

Site of Pontypool Clarence Street railway station - May 2010. The A472 now occupies the site.

Driving across the Llanstephan Suspension Bridge over the River Wye near Builth Wells - August 2007. The bridge was built in 1922 and currently has a 2T weight limit. Only one vehicle at a time is allowed on the bridge.

 

 

Goytre Wauf near Pontypool on the Monmouth and Brecon Canal. May 2008

 

.