There is evidence of a settlement of one sort or another at Dover since the Iron age, although the first castle was not built here until 1066.
William the Conqueror built the first earthwork castle at Dover before proceeding to London.
Much of the present castle was built during the reign of Henry II, the centre piece has to be Henry's great keep.
Dover castle withstood a great siege in 1216, when Prince Louis of France attempted to seize the English crown from King John.
The castle once again saw military service during the Napoleonic wars and gun batteries were added in the 1870's.
In both world wars Dover castle was used as the Royal naval headquarters and in May 1940, Vice-Admiral Bertram Ramsey
successfully organised the evacuation of British troops from Dunkirk from his headquarters in tunnels deep inside the cliffs.
In the event of a nuclear attack, the tunnels were to be used as the Regional Seat of Government but were finally abandoned in 1984.