Weobley was first mentioned in the Doomsday book 1086 and
was spelt 'Wibelai' this shows that it went beyond Norman times to Saxon
days. A castle was built on 'Castle Green' about 1138, unfortunately long
gone except for the remains of a moat. The villages annual carnival (June)
is held on the green and is a pretty sight with its floats and stalls.
Over the centuries Weobley has been famous for its wool trade/ale/hops/and
glove making. It had two members of Parliament but this was changed with
the reform act of 1832. Weobley was a market town, trading well into the
17th century. It had its fair share of witches - dastardly deeds - intrigues
- not to mention benefactors:
There was a bakery which stood on the land opposite the Salutation Inn's
car park. Unfortunately this was burnt down in 1895. Two Border homes
now stand there (photos in Weobley Museum).
King Arthur has many connections with Herefordshire, not the least that his Mother was born in the county. Her name was Ygerne and she was Arthur's father's (King Meurig) first wife. A local beauty spot called Arthur's stone, which marks an ancient burial site can be found at Bredwedine - a few miles from Weobley. There is a small car park here and is ideal for picnics and walking, there is also a inn at the bottom of the lane called "The Red Lion"
During the civil war of 1642-1649 Hereford, along with many other counties, had Royalist leanings, and Charles ist came here to 'rest' after his army's defeat at the battle of Naesby on June 14" 1645 and it is said that on September 511 1645 he slept at the "Unicorn Inn" in Weobley (this is now a private house called 'The Throne').
Nell Gwynne who was the mistress of Charles 2nd for 17 years and bore him two sons, was born in Hereford near the Cathedral. The house was in 'Gwynne Lane' but was demolished many years ago. There is a plaque to show where it had been.
Died 169 1. There is a statue to the Colonel, in Weobley's Church. He had settled in Weobley in 1661 with his 2nl wife (a Weobley lady) at Garstone Manor and he became a member of Parliament for Weobley. Previously in 1645 Colonel John Birch had taken Hereford for the 'roundheads'but later on he changed his alliagence to the King.
Violette's Father was English and her Mother was French and in 1940 she herself married a French Captain, Etienne Sazbo (killed in action October 1942). She used to spend her 'school holidays' with her Aunt and Uncle who owned a house 'Cartref' in Hereford in a village called Wormelow. After her husbands death she was recruited into the SOE and when she wasn't 'working' in France she spent her time at 'Cartref' in the Herefordshire countryside. Unfortunately during one of her visits to France she was captured/tortured and eventually, along with other agents, shot in 1945 at Ravensbruk. There is now a museum in the garden at 'Cartref' dedicated to her memory - well worth a visit.
Brian Huggett MBE Ryder Cup Captain and 6 times player. Born in Porthcawl (Honary member of Royal Porthcawl Golf Club) but has lived in Ross on Wye for many years. He is a past president of Neath Golf club which he joined in 1947 as a junior. Brian turned professional in 1951. He has had a varied career as a professional including Romford, St Pierre, Hong Kong etc. He was known as The 'Welsh Bulldog' and received the MBE for services to golf when he was 42 years old. He designs golf courses at home and abroad including, The Spring Hotel in Oxfordshire, Orchard Leigh in Bath, Hawkstone Park in Shropshire and overseas, Iran, Scandanavia etc. etc.. Brian now plays as a senior and won the Beko Classic in Turkey in May 2000 and was the Senior British Open Champion and Masters Champion in 1998. He is married to Winnie and has two daughters, Yvonne and Sandra who plays Dr Holly Miles in 'Casualty'.
Weobley Museum is situated in Back Lane in part of the old magistrates
court. It opened in 1980 and is run entirely by volunteers from the local