Manor House is one of 8 buildings in Herefordshire built using the
Base-cruck construction, most of them belonged to 'wealthy' farmers
but this one was probably the home of a 'merchant' or 'trader'. It is
a timber frame house built about 1320. It consisted of 2 wings with
a large central hall open to the roof. During the early 17th century
the two wings were joined and a stone fireplace was put in backing onto
the SW Wing. The joining of these two wings provides a large 'landing'
approx. 22' x 16' which gives an upstairs 'lounge' area overlooking
the garden. The staircase built at this time still has its original
moulded grip-handrails. Both wings and the 'Hall' (upstairs lounge area)
have the original roof trusses which are very attractive.
The image below is a drawing of what the left wing of Manor House use to look like, Note how the windows once looked!
This next drawing shows a cross-section of the house 'Base-cruck' and how it once looked before a 1st floor went in. All of the original beams can still be seen in the Guest Lounge.
© ManorHouse Copyright ©