A Parish for Battyeford

Christ Church

Christ Church was built complete with west tower, on a site given by Mr Benjamin Wilson, by the local firm of F & E Ellis at a cost of £1778 and was consecrated by the Bishop of Ripon on the 28th of October 1840.

.

Originally proposed by the reverend Ralph Maude the parish was finally constituted in November 1841 and a former curate of Mirfield Parish Church, the Reverend Thomas Nevin, became the first vicar. A year later a school was built next door and in 1845 a girls school was built next door but one. (both are now private dwellings) only after that was a vicarage built showing where the priorities of the church management lay at that time The Tower Bell was installed in 1843 and an Organ in 1851. In 1858 Miss Fanny Wormald of Field Head donated the font. The chancel was built in 1865-6 however a plan to replace the side isles with a central one was abandoned because of cost.

The church continued relatively unchanged until 1971 when it was severely damaged by being vandalised and set on fire and had to be demolished


more.....

After the fire 1971

Back to Home Page