St Peters church interior
St. Peters Schoolroom
Around 1868 a mission was started at the Knowl. In order to provide a second curate to work in that part of the parish an endowment fund was started which raised £2000. In 1874 a building was erected to serve as St Peter’s mission church and a school. (See above) In February 1893 the new St Peters church was consecrated. Built of wood and iron the church was built behind the the school house shown above.
After the 1971 fire at Christ Church, the two congregations worshiped at St Peters. St Peter’s and Christ Church worshiped together until the 22nd September 1973 when the two congregations now combined
as Christ the King left St Peter’s for the last time and processed to the consecration of the new Christ the King Church.