The Corbett One Name Study


Arms displayed by various members
of the Corbet/t family and some
Moreton Corbet Wall Ornaments
 

The descriptions which follow come 
from a variety of books.

Thanks to John Maxwell Corbett 
(now deceased) for this display of shields.


The Corbet family is generally identified with the single raven on a golden shield. However there are other shields which represented various lines of the Corbet family. (Many with the surname Corbet or Corbett think that they can use this shield however this is not the case.)
Or, two corbyns proper, a bordure engrailed gules. Sir Roger Corbet, temp. Edw.III.
Argent, two bars and a quarter gules, a label of the first, were those of Sir Johan Corbet at the Battle of Boroughbridge in 1322.
Or, two corbyns in pale sable, Sir Peter Corbet, 2nd Baron of Caus, displayed two ravens at the Battle of Falkirk in 1298 and sealed the Baron's letter to the Pope in 1301 as 2nd Baron of Caus.
(Brian Timmins: appears on the Falkirk Roll, H27; Glover's Roll, B198; The Camden Roll D64 & St George's Roll, E74). Also used by Thomas Corbet (no date.)
Barry of four argent and sable, in chief and in base three crosses potent fitchee counter-coloured, were carried by a Corbet, date unknown
.
Or, three ravens sable, displayed by Sir Thomas Corbet at the First Dunstable Tournament in 1308. They were also the arms of Rafe (temp Edw II), Roger (Edw I) and William (Hy III.)
Argent, two bars gules, on a canton gules a cinquefoil of the first, are those of Sir Roger Corbet, knighted at the capitulation of Calais in 1348
Argent, two bars gules "une fece d'azure", the arms of William Corbet at the Second Dunstable Tournament in 1334.
Or six ravens sable on a canton gules two lions passant gardant argent.Thomas Corbet 1567.
(Thanks to Brian Timms' excellent website
Studies in Heraldry.)
 

Moreton Corbet Castle

The drawing below is of ornaments on the 'New Part' of Moreton Corbet Castle. These appeared in A E Corbet's book 'The Family of Corbet -It's Life and Times'. (Reproduced in 1990 by Hugh Corbett of the Ynas Maen Gwyn line. Copies are still available.)

In the centre of the page are two columns dated 1667. Beneath is a lion. At the top left a bird on a frieze and on the right an elephant with a castle on his back also on a frieze. Some of the creatures appear in the Corbet arms stained glass window at Moreton Corbet church.

A frieze surrounds the whole of the outside of Moreton Corbet Castle (new part) in which a variety of symbols and animals appear, see lower right of the drawing below.