the photographs were taken in 1992 and are the copyright of ŠJean C
feel free to copy them for your own Corbet albums but remember
the copyright remains with Jean C Noble.
see an enlarged photograph, click on the photo.
Moreton Corbet, Shawbury, High Ercall etc.
Moreton Corbet Hall
Built by Sir Andrew
Corbet to the east
of the castle in the mid 16th century.
The date 1579 appears.
It was captured by the Roundheads
and damaged during the Civil War
and fell into ruin in 18th century.
Moreton Corbet Church
Corbet tombs and monuments have been erected
both inside and outside the church which stands
a short distance from the ruins of Moreton Corbet Castle.
Stained glass in Corbet window
Note the squirrel, elephant, raven,
mermaids, sheaves of wheat and
various heraldic devices.
Tombs in the church
The tomb of
Richard Corbet d.1566/7 (the son of Sir Robert Corbett and
and his wife Margaret (Wortley nee Savile) - the 3rd daughter of
Sir John Savell of Thornhill, Yorkshire.
Note the chrisom babe on the panel. This depicts Edward their
from tomb of Richard Corbet which include
mermaids, fish, lions, birds,
elephants and castles, sheaves of wheat.
There is more about
Richard and Robert at the bottom of the page.
tomb of Sir Robert Corbet of Moreton Corbet, d.1513
and his wife Elizabeth Vernon of Haddon Hall, Derbyshire,
They had 8 children one of whom was Richard,
(who married Margaret Savill)
whose coloured tomb is also in the church.
High Ercall church and High Ercall Hall
lived at High Ercall for many centuries.
The church was used a stable by the Roundheads,
who, during the Civil War, also sharpened their pikes
on a stone at the foot of the bell tower.
High Ercall was under siege during the Civil War.
The hall was being refurbished at the time the photograph was taken in 1992.
The area between the hall and the church was featured in a 'Time Team' programme.
Corbets had connections with Shawbury as early as 1383
with the marriage between Sir Roger Corbet and Margaret,
daughter of Giles de Erdington, Lord of Shawbury.
However it was not until Sir Andrew Corbet moved from Acton
Reynold to Shawbury Park in the 17th century that strong
connections with the parish were forged.
The Charity Board at Shawbury
Elizabeth Corbet was the daughter of Francis and Beatrice (Corbet)
(and Beatrice was the daughter of Sir Andrew Corbet and Elizabeth
Elizabeth married Sir Vincent Corbet her first cousin, the son of Sir Vincent
Corbet and Sarah Monson. Elizabeth was buried at Moreton Corbet in 1702.
about Richard Corbet:
'At the West End (of St Bartholomews, Moreton Corbet) is (an) altar
tomb with effigies of a man and woman.
The man has a peaked beard, the head rests on a helmet with the sable
Raven as crest. He is in plate armour with an apron of mail; the neck
frilled - the feet rest on a lion and are spurred. He has gauntlets
and dagger on his left side, no sword, and his wrists are frilled. The
figure of the wife has a wreathed head-dress with long top peak bent
back under the head, which rests on two cushions, she wears a frilled
black embroidered gown with pomander in front and has a ruff.
Below the shields are an Elephant and Castle, and an owl.
The inscription round the verge is in Latin and states that Richard
Corbet, armiger, was the second son of Sir Robert Corbet, knight, -
that he died July 1566 - that he married Margaret the daughter of Sir
John Saville of Thornhill, Co. York; and that she was the widow of
Thomas Wortley, armiger, of Wortley, Co. York.'
(Shropshire Archaeological Transactions)
about Robert Corbet:
The description of the tomb is to be found in the Transactions of the
County Archaeological Society. The inscription on the tomb in Latin,
states that 'Sir Robert is here buried and Elizabeth his wife; the
which Robert died 11th April 1513, and Elizabeth on the 29th March
1563'. Below the ledge bearing the inscription, on either side and at
the ends, is a lozenge sable, with a squirrel sejant or. At the west
end is a civilian as a weeper, bearing a shield of arms emblazoned:
and on his right and left hands are figures of winged angels. The same
arrangements of weepers bearing shields with coats of arms, supported
by winged angels, is repeated on the south side.
At the east end appears a monk in brown dress and a winged angel on
either side, in the right hand of one of these is a black cross.
The whole is very highly coloured and ornamented. Figures of children
stand round the sides of the tomb. The two effigies, life size, which
lie on the top are of Sir Robert and his Lady. The former is in plate
armour with an apron of mail, the head lies supported on his helmet
with its crest - (in place, and rather unusually large) of the Raven -
a dagger is on his right side and a sword on his left. The feet rest
on a lion. The Lady's head rests on a cushion borne by angels, and a
dog lies at her feet: she wears a wreathed head-dress and her dress is
the rather stiff costume of Queen Mary's reign.
of all records, photographs and articles on this site
belongs to J C Noble unless otherwise stated.
Limited permission is given to copy various articles, photographs
and/or indexes etc provided the author's name and URL are cited
as the source if they are published on another website,
used in any publication or are printed or copied in any form,
and provided the copy is not sold.)