Create the Mood can portray any period 1066 - 1930's and give classes in most of the craft skills involved in constructing a reasonably authentic outfit or accessory. Students will be older children and adults who want to try out a different craft.
Some compromises have to be made to comply with 21st century health and safety concerns; no open glass bottles with candles in the base to provide light for close work, for example. Reproduction items, and sometimes original pieces, are used together with other artefacts to create the correct atmosphere of a period workshop around an authentically costumed demonstrator and teacher.
Frances works with you to produce an event to fit your students' needs.
Examples of Demonstrations, with have-a-go for older children and adults:
* costume items in the making such as corsets, braiding cords, bags and hats using techniques used in the past on rich and poor people's clothing of the time
* construction of headwear: historic, modern and fantasy - hats, turbans, tiaras, bonnets
* jewellery made and repaired - anything requiring stone/jewel replacement, theatrical styles
and every-day items
* designing and constructing masks - a basic method which is then decorated with fabric, jewels, feathers: use your imagination
* lessons for small groups in the pipe and tabor. This can also be combined with a historical minstrel playing around the event, if required.