We visited Shugborough (owned by NT) on 5th August 2011 in the afternoon. Weather wise it was a little overcast but brightened up later.
Shugborough is located about 4 miles from Stafford and adjoins Cannock Chase. The estate was purchased in 1624 by William Anson from Thomas Whitby. The Bishops of Lichfield were the original owners before dissolution. A new house was built in about 1693 after the old one was demolished. There have been several major alterations made to the house up to the present day. Queen Victoria has stayed there and the famous photographer Lord Lichfield lived there. Some of the Anson family were famous for their naval exploits including George Anson who sailed around the world in the 1740's.