The Handley Page HALIFAX
Completed in 1942, Burn airfield was a standard, 3 concrete runway airfield, with two 'T2' & one 'B1' hanger.
Runway lengths being 5700ft, 4620ft and 4290ft.
11/11/42 - 14/07/43 --- 431 (Iroquois) Squadron, RCAF
06/02/44 - 13/03/45 --- 578 Squadron
Today, what remains of the airfield can still be seen. Situated just north of J34 on the M62, and before entering the village of Burn, the airfield is now used by local glider club although no hangers remain. The water tower is still there, and scattered around are a few of the original buildings which are used by local farmers and building companies. Two buildings remain in Burn, along with the Memorial opposite the 'local', and are in very good condition. The Wing Commanders residence as been converted into a bungalow and the foundations of the mess/dance hall still remain nearby.