The Handley Page HALIFAX
First used by Halifaxes in January 1942, it did so without the usual concrete runways and was later closed so these could be constructed. The airfield re-opened in November 1942. The runway lengths were 5280ft., 4290ft. and 4185ft.
Jan 1942 - June 1942 --- 102 Sqn Conversion Flight
June 1942 - Aug 1942 --- 76 & 78 Sqn Conversion Flight
July 1942 - Aug 1942 --- 1652 HCU
May 1943 - Oct 1943 --- 1666 HCU
Nov 1942 - Dec 1943 --- 420 Sqn
Can be found on the south-side of the A168 (A19), south of Topcliffe, by following signs to Dalton Industrial Estate.
Visited site on October 26th, 2000 and found that a large industrial estate now resides over most of the original site. Several buildings still remain on the technical site. Some are being used as a servicing/repair depot for a local coach company and other small industries occupy the rest. The site of the former 'bomb dump' is still there and is being 'cared' for by a local farmer !.