The Handley Page HALIFAX
Opened in 1936, Dishforth was the home of twin-engined bombers until 1943. With the introduction of the heavier 4-engined bombers, it was closed in June 1943 for the construction of the standard pattern 3-runway airfield and was re-opened in Dec 1943. Runway lengths were one of 5900ft and two of 4400ft.
1939 - 1941 --- 51 Sqn
Nov 1943 - Dec 1943 --- 425 Sqn
Dec 1943 - April 1945 --- 1664 HCU
---- ? --- - --- ? ---- --- 1331 HCU
Dishforth can be seen just off the A1(M) in North Yorkshire. Still used as an operational airfield by RAF LEEMING for 'circuits and bumps' and also by helicopters from Catterick, the runways are still there, along with some of the original 'frying pan' sites and most of the original buildings including the hangers, although these have been extensively renovated.