The Handley Page HALIFAX
Built near the village of Sutton-on-the Forest, north-west of York, the airfield was built to the standard pattern of three concrete runways, the lengths being 5610ft, 4620ft & 4290ft., and three 'T2' hangers. The rest of the airfield buildings were to the west of the airfield. The airfield, now named East Moor, opened in June 1942.
June 1942 - Aug (?) 1942 --- 158 Sqn
Sept 1942 - May 1945 --- 432 (Leaside) Sqn RCAF
July 1944 - May 1945 --- 415 (Swordfish) Sqn RCAF
Situated just east of the village of Sutton-on-the-Forest, on the B1363 from York, very little remains of the airfield or buildings. Small mounds of rubble can be still seen in the fields and this is what left of the airfield. Recently viewed aerial photos still show the runway layout, the perimeter track, 'frying pan' dispersal points, and other features. In the village center is a memorial to all who served here.