The Handley Page HALIFAX
Opened in September 1942, Holmsley South was a standard pattern 3-runway airfield, and was in constant use by many other aircraft and Squadrons.
58 Squadron arrived from Stornoway on the 2nd December 1942, and converted from Whitleys' to Halifax IIs'in the same month. After other moving to St.Eval in March, 1943, they once more returned here on the 29th June 1943 for a further 5 months before moving yet again.
In February, 1942, 502 Squadron flew in a detachment from St.Eval to complete their conversion to Halifax IIs'. After conversion and a 4 week stay, they moved back to St.Eval, only to return the following month.
At that time, Holmsley South was used as a CU for Halifax squadrons towing 'Horsa' gliders, which were to be used in operations over Sicily. Although the training resulted in several crashes, the crews and aircraft were ready in time.
295 Sqn, with their Halifax Vs', stayed here for a short time from the 1st May, 1943 until the 30th June, 1943, before moving to Hurn.
From July, 1943, 58 Squdron and 502 Squadron took take part in anti-submarine operations, and after some successful misions they both left for St.Davids in December.
On the 1st December, 1944, 246 Sqn moved here from Lyneham with it's Halifax IIIs', and remained here until it was disbanded , or renumberd 511 Sqn, in October 1946.