The Handley Page HALIFAX
Leconfield, now named Normandy Barracks, can be found about two miles north of Beverly, and east of the A614 road. Leaconfield opened as an airfield in 1939 and was home to many aircraft, including Heyfords, and was also used as a fighter base. It wasn't until the end of 1941 that it saw the first Halifaxes arrive.
October 1941 - December 1941 --- 28 Conversion Flight
December 1941 --- 107 Conversion Flight
After the Conversion Flights departed in December 1941, it was decided to rebuild the airfield, ready for the heavy bombers. It was built, as was the norm, to the standard three-runway pattern, and was re-opened one year later in December 1942.
September 1943 - June 1944 --- 466 Squadron
January 1944 - April 1945 --- 640 Squadron
December 1944 - ? --- 96 Squadron (Transport)
April 1945 --- 51 Squadron
Today, many of the buildings still remain having been converted to other uses. The airfield as been taken over by the Army School of Transport who use it for driver training.