The Handley Page HALIFAX
Situated to the north of North Luffenham, the airfield was, when first constructed, just a grass strip with the normal technical buildings/accomodation and hangers, ('J' & 'T2' types), situated to the north-west of the airfield. As hostilities continued, the airfield underwent reconstruction with the addition of 3 concrete runways plus additional 'B1' and 'T2' hangers to the north, and re-opened in March 1944.
March 1944 - October 1945 --- 1653 HCU
December 1946 --- 21 HCU