The Handley Page HALIFAX
Rufforth airfield opened in November 1942, and is situated to the north of the A64 and on the south-side of the B1224 road, a few miles west of York. It was built, as normal, to the standard 3-runway pattern, the lengths being 5940ft and two of 4020ft. The bomb dump was to the south-east, whilst the rest of the buildings lay to the north.
November 1942 - February 1943 --- 158 Squadron
March 1943 - May 1945 --- 1663 HCU
Part of one runway remains, and this is used extensively by the local Gliding Club. The airfield was used as a racing circuit but this as now stopped.