The Handley Page HALIFAX
Tholthorpe originally opened in the 1930s as a 'basic' grass airfield and officially opened in August 1940 as the home of 77 Squadron who left in December. After they left, the airfield was closed so that it could be rebuilt to the standard 3-runway pattern airfield, the runways being 5700ft, 4200ft and 4050ft long.
June 1943 - December 1943 ---- 434 (Bluenose) Squadron RCAF
July 1943 - December 1943 --- 431 (Iroquois) Squadron RCAF
December 1943 - 1945 --- 425 Squadron
December 1943 - 1945 --- 420 Squadron
Very little remains today of what was the airfield and its buildings. The control tower is now a private residence, although viewing is possible by appointment. Scattered around can be seen remains of other buildings and various industrial units occupy what was the technical section. A monument dedicated to the four RCAF Squadron who served here can be seen on Tholthorpe village green.