|The Quaker Meeting House stood in the centre of the village. It was built in 1745 and replaced an earlier building dating from between 1675 and 1710. It closed in 1940 and was then used by the Methodists until 1965. It was sold in 1970 to be converted into a private dwelling. Just south of the old Meeting House is a burial ground, laid out on two levels, and in use until 1990.|
|This war-time aerial view is the only known picture which shows the Meeting House in its original form. There were no windows on the seaward side of the building.|
Beckfoot Woollen Mill was built around 1795 by John Saul. It was powered by a waterwheel, 12ft. (3.7m) in diameter and was equipped with all the machinery necessary for carding, spinning and weaving the wool. The power for the mill came from the tiny stream which flows into the sea just below the site. A substantial dam and millpond were constructed. It was not a financial success, was put up for sale in 1803 and then converted to a corn mill. By 1925, milling operations had ceased and the building was being used as a Primitive Methodist Chapel. It was finally demolished around 1930.
|This bottlenose whale was washed up on the shore at Beckfoot in 1897 and was buried there. In 2004, Tullie House Museum in Carlisle received some bones which had been washed out of the beach. These proved to be bottlenose whale vertebrae and are thought to belong to this very creature.|
|Beckfoot had the only two Council Houses in Holme St Cuthbert Parish. They were built in 1925 and have since been modernised and extended. The picture on the right shows them in their original state.|
|The banks at Beckfoot have always been a popular spot for bathing and picnics. They also make a good car park, as can be seen from this 1960s scene.|
The shore at Beckfoot has been a source of gravel for building and road
making, probably since Roman times. In this photograph, Tommy and Billy
Thornthwaite of Allonby are loading their cart. Bill Storey from
Beckfoot, and his father before him, also made a living this way.
version of this
John Molyneux has compiled a list of burials in the Beckfoot Quaker Graveyard. This is available as a word processed document to save or print.
CLICK HERE TO START DOWNLOAD
|Read more about Beckfoot Roman fort in our history pages|
|Home | Places | People | History | Nostalgia | Farming | Local Information | Podcast | Contact Us|