Solway Plain - past and present by the Holme St Cuthbert History Group

Views of Edderside Village Today

Edderside has a long history and many fine examples of vernacular architecture.  It is a real Cumbrian farming hamlet. The road twists between the farms with several unexpected dead-ends to fool the unwary motorist.

The Archaeological record shows that Edderside was inhabited from the second century AD and field surveys have also shown Roman dwellings.

In 1538, when Holme Cultram Abbey was dissolved, the records show that Edderside made an annual payment of six skeps of Big Meal (A skep is a large basket). In 1847, the Tithe records show that there were six farms, each paying an annual payment of twelve bushels of barley. Today, there are still three working farms in the village.

Edderside Hall

Edderside Hall
William Barwise Fanny Barwise
William Barwise (1798 – 1887) built Edderside Hall. His wife, Fanny Bluck, came from Stanton Lacey in Shropshire. The couple lived in the hall until about 1845 when they left the area. Little is known of their subsequent life but they both died in Liverpool.

Development was slow. Edderside Hall was built by William Barwise in 1828 and the census records show one additional farm labourer's cottage in 1870s but new house building has been a relatively modern feature. The same cannot be said about the barns. Looking at the farm buildings themselves and Ordnance Survey maps, the farm buildings have been extended up and out several times and new ones added.

Likewise the houses have had many "makeovers". All of the old buildings have a floor plan that indicates that they are likely to have been Cumbria Long Barns. Keen eyes will be able to spot early architectural features. The historical significance of the hamlet is demonstrated by two farm houses being listed by English Heritage.

Winnie Jefferson, John Cockburn and dog

In the mid 1900s, Brow Top Farm was home to the Jefferson family. The house at Brow Top used to be in two halves. Young Winnie Jefferson is seen above with John Cockburn sitting in the passageway between them. The sitting room and the bedrooms were on the left. The kitchen and the hired lad’s bedroom were in the right-hand half. The lad’s bedroom had an old well beneath the floor – it was always freezing cold in there.

Croft House, about 1900 Scalop Shell Lintel
Winnie's grandparents, the Pattinsons, farmed at Croft House this is one of two buildings in the village which boast ornate ‘scallop shell’ canopies over their front doors. These are virtually unique in the area. Please contact us if you have any ideas on their origin.
Edderside Lintel
This is the earliest door lintel in the village, again this is an unusual design for the area.
Manor Farm
Manor Farm, one of the village's listed buildings

 Edderside's heyday was clearly in the 1800s. The residents were certainly wealthy if their wills are anything to go by. In fact, Edderside was of sufficient status to have had a ship named after her in 1878 (built by the Whitehaven Ship Co.).

Joseph Hayton's will (1835) left £100 a year, for 5 years, to his son Joseph. His stock crop, household goods and furniture were left jointly to his sons Thomas and Joseph. Joseph also received shares in monies and ships. He was given permission to use these if he needed money to purchase estate to set his children up in business. But was required to leave enough provision for the two grandaughters, Hannah and Nancy, to receive £700.Margaret Barwise's will (1883) tells us her estate was valued at just over ten thousand pounds.

Little family of Edderside

The Little family lived at West End Farm from the 1840s. This photograph of them was taken around 1890.

Research by Deb Muscat. Pictures courtesy of Teddy Glover and Margaret May.

version of this
Deb Muscat has complied a list of all the families and where they lived from 1538 to 1900. This is available as a word-processed file to print or save.

Home | Places | People | History | Nostalgia | Farming | Local Information | Podcast | Contact Us