Solway Plain - past and present by the Holme St Cuthbert History Group



By the late 1800s, Allonby had ten pubs - serving a population of about 400!

Allonby, aerial view showing 19th century pubs

The locations of seven of the pubs are shown on this aerial view. The others were up the lane behind The Ship. Their positions are indicated on the view below.

Aerial view of Pubs

 Allonby, filling station formally The Sloop pub

The Sloop was located at the south end of the village and seems to have closed in the 1870s. It was the building on the right of this postcard view from the 1950s and is now a private house.

Grapes and Solway

The Grapes (left) and the Solway Hotel stood close to each other on the green.

Allonby, Queen's Temperance Hotel

The Queen's Head was located at the other side of the bridge. It closed as a pub around 1850 and became a Temperance Hotel.

Allonby, Ship Hotel

The Ship was always Allonby's premier hostelry. Charles Dickens and Wilkie Collins stayed there in 1857. This view dates from the early 1900s and shows a magnificent collection of horse-drawn vehicles which were probably waiting to take the members of the local Band of Hope on their annual trip.

Allonby, sketch of Swan and Sun Inns

The Swan and the Sun stood in the narrow lane behind The Ship.

The Greyhound was also located in this area, in Temple Square, named after the family which owned it.

The Globe, originally known as The London Apprentice, was nearby on the road leading to Westnewton and Aspatria.

In both cases, the buildings have been much altered and it is difficult to pin-point the pubs' exact location.

All the pubs would offer special events for their customers such as that advertised on the right in 1856.
Handbill for Cellar Opening at The Swan

Allonby, view of the buildings which housed The Spirit Vaults

The Spirit Vaults was located somewhere in the block of buildings seen in the postcard view above. Again, many changes to the structure have occurred since the pub closed.

Stoneware Bottle with Costin name The Vaults was a traditional 'grog shop' run by the Costins who had family links with the West Indies.

It is thought they imported their rum directly from there. It was sold in the stoneware bottles seen in the picture on the left. These are now highly prized by bottle collectors.

The last landlord, Alfred Costin, lost his licence in 1903 when its renewal was opposed by both the police and the local Temperance Movement led by Sir Wilfred Lawson, MP, of Aspatria.

The pub was described as a 'darksome place' with a large rum barrel which had been constructed in the premises. There were only rudimentary furnishings and most customers had to stand.

Allonby, sketch of Spirit Vaults interior
A 'Merry Neet' at The Vaults.

Research by Dennis Irwin : Sketches by Josephine Best
Aerial photography by Simon Ledingham

Printer-Friendly
version of this
page
 

Home | Places | People | History | Nostalgia | Farming | Local Information | Podcast | Contact Us
 
The lost pubs of Allonby