In the middle distance, the Failand Ridge drops toward the outskirts of Clevedon. In the far distance is the coast of South Wales.
The church tower of Holy Trinity rises at the heart of the original settlement of Nailsea. The flat land in front and behind would have flooded extensively before 18th c. drainage and enclosure of the area.
Nailsea can be seen to occupy a slight rise in the surrounding flat land. Behind the Kingshill area, Tickenham church tower nestles below the ridge.
Above and to the right of Tickenham lies the ancient hill fort of Cadbury Camp.
Christ Church and the modern commercial centre of Nailsea lie around the old glass works site, but few landmarks are prominent from this viewpoint.
Extensive housing development followed the designation of Nailsea as a new town in the late 1950s.
Wraxall and its church occupy slightly higher land to the east of Nailsea. Until 1810, Wraxall was the true parish church, although Holy Trinity ministered to most needs of the people.
East End and the Trendlewood area lie south-east of the town centre and encircle the historic remants of the Middle Engine (or Elms) colliery and others. Coal mining was formerly widespread from West End to Golden Valley
From this viewpoint, the geologic basin holding the Nailsea coalfield can easily be seen, lying between the ridges to north and south.
The area north of Nailsea was historically called Nailsea Heath, while Nailsea Moor lay west of the town.