CANON                                                                                                                                               
xxxx
1933

1934


1935

1937


1944




1947


1951

1956



1968


Goro Yoshida and Saburo Uchida founded Seiki Kogaku Kenkyujo.
Seiki Kogaku produced the Kwanon. Only one example is known to exist and this is owned by Canon (who purchased it in the 1950's).
First production model (Hansa) introduced.
Formation of Seiki Kogaku Kogyo Kabushiki Kaisha. This event is recognised, by Canon, as marking the official founding of the company.
Up until 1944, Seiki Kogaku was a small company relying on other companies for components. Principal amongst these was Nippon Kogaku (later to become Nikon) who supplied lenses, mounts and rangefinder parts. In 1944 an optical company was acquired and major bought-in components were gradually phased out.
Seiki Kogaku name changed to Canon Camera Company Ltd. First interchangeable lenses introduced.
Company name changed to Canon Camera Company Inc.
Canon V series introduced. These cameras moved away from the traditional Leica styling of earlier models. Innovations, such as a lever in the baseplate to facilitate rapid film advance and a self-timer, were introduced on certain models.
Interchangeable lens rangefinders discontinued with the Canon 7s (the first Canon SLR had been introduced in 1959).
Detailed information is available in the book Canon Rangefinder Cameras 1933 - 68 by Peter Dechert - Hove Photo Books
                         Return To Index Page