Lantern Slide Page
Above: lithograph slide by Primus and an original Primus slide box
There were 4 main ways of creating images on glass :-
1) Hand Painted
3) Photographic (black & white)
4) Tinted Photo
1) Small strips of glass less
than 3 inches wide bound with red or green paper were usually slides from a
child's toy lantern.
2) Long narrow panoramic slides bound in mahogany frames are usually early slides these are often crudely painted.
3) Three and a quarter inches square. This was the standard size for British lantern slides.
4) Four inches long by three and a quarter inches wide. This size was the standard European and American format
5) Kinetic slides which produce moving pictures vary widely in size and complexity