A 5 inch gauge garden railway
LLR No 4
|A 'cut &
paste' mock-up of what I hope to acheive.
Ride on Railways Hercules chassis. The doner photo for the superstructure is of an Avonside
Heisler and can be found here and another view here. This is the 2 cylinder loco, there was also
a 4 cylinder version. I may combine ideas from both designs, and, probably others!
Progress has been a bit slow, especially updating this log!
The cylinders have been
finished, as far as I am prepared to go, and been painted
Milliput epoxy putty was used
to make the flare at the base of the dome. I took the
Other things still to do are:-
cab handrails, headlight, paint the cab inside, cab
steps, tank filler
Until next time.
I have been working on the
cylinder assemblies on and off for some time. The main
The Avonside Heisler was
offered in two sizes, a two cylinder and a four cylinder
versions. I had
One set of cylinders temporarily put in place. I will have to find an alternative route for those wires!
Till next time.....Happy modelling.
Still lots to do!
Progress over the last 11
months has been slow! (too much playing and not enough
I spent an enjoyable few hours fabricating a dummy whistle out of brass tube, rod, etc.
Another project (Sub-project?)
was the fabrication of a smokebox door. This was made
The latest task was the drilling of lots of holes around the smokebox front for the bolt heads.
I feel another paint job coming
Finally a picture to compare with the one below.
|Not obvious in the photo, I
changed the roundhead machine screws on the roof for
wood screws. Also other roundhead machine screws have been changed for hexhead screws, looks
much better. I think I need more rivet detail on the front tank, and some boiler bands. The paint job
is not final! The cab sides needed sealing! Must learn to curb my impatience!
|Still need to find suitable candidates for the smokebox door and dome.|
|Smokebox top and chimney made.|
|I will be making the smoke box part of the
boiler from aluminium sheet.
The chimney will probably be from a length of waste water pipe.
Not quite sure what to make the steam dome out of yet.
|The cab has now been bolted together and the
coal bunker assembled.
The roof was from a piece of ply and screwed down.
Boiler barrel from a plastic paint can.
|The side view. I have now cut out the cab
side sheets. The cab will be bolted together using
angle at the corners. (visible through the cab door)
|The front tank conceals the front battery. The cab will conceal the rear battery and 4QD controller.|
|Latest progress with No4. I have made the
front tank/smokebox and cut out the front and
rear specticle plates. These were made from a peice of 6mm exterior grade plywood. This had
been in use previously as a bath panel, hence the brown stain.
|All this took place during the summer of
2009, and that is as far as I have got!
The chassis has had a lot of testing, and performs very well. For this loco I chose cheap car
batteries, partly because these were the largest that would fit in the pre-assembled battery tray
On reflection, and as I am building my own body, I could have had bigger bateries, which would give
longer running (not that there is any indication of batteries not lasting a days running, as yet)
but would also give more traction. I do find that this loco slips more than the trojan, but then the
trojan has bigger bateries, so more weight per wheel.
|So... I now have a
working chassis! The chassis is designed to have the 4QD
fixed flat on the floor, but as I wanted to have some daylight under the future 'boiler', I bolted
an aluminium plate to the front of the rear battery tray plate in an upright position and fixed the
4QD control box to this. The battery isolator switch mounting plate was also altered and fixed
to this plate, as seen in the above photo. The socket for the hand controller was fitted to the
footplate adjacent to the rear battery.
|The chassis arrived in semi kit form. The
bogie frames and the main chassis/footplate frame were
supplied assembled (as above). The rest needed assembly in the Lyngford workshops.
I forgot to photograph the other parts or the assembly of the wheelsets, etc..
However, the assembly process involved is very similar to the RoR Trojan, No 3.
Top of Page
Email me at
©Terry Bowden. 2010