Local Snippets 2

 

Home
Up

News Items - A Source of Information and Education about our Ancestors...

 

Local newspapers are a great source of information for family historians and researchers. We are especially lucky in Aberdeen with records of one paper - The Aberdeen Journal - dating back to the 18th century. In this section we will record just a few snippets of local interest from our papers - some trivial, some tragic, but all fascinating. Let's hope you find something of interest - I'll be surprised if you don't!

The Aberdeen Journal, September 8th, 1824

The plan for the improvement of Stonehaven harbour is now matured, and everything is in a state of readiness, preparatory to a bill being introduced into Parliament for carrying the work into execution. If a new pier be erected, of which there is every probability, it will be of the greatest importance to the place, and to the shipping interest in general, from the excedent accommodation it will afford, and the easy access which vessels will have to it at all times. The present situation of the harbour is in many places dangerous; we therefore look forward with the greatest anxiety to the completion of a work which will be productive of so much public good.

The Aberdeen Journal, September 15th, 1824

The annual general meeting of the Solomon Society of Free Gardeners of Stonehaven was held on 6th August last, within the Mason Hall there, when after passing the treasurer's accounts for the preceding year, collecting the quarterly dues, and disposing of the subscription made by members in awarding prizes for the three best flowers, the meeting elected the following office-bearers for the ensuing year, viz:- Wm Murray, Master; Alex Sherret, deputy master; John Balfour, postmaster; John Main, senior warden; James Methven, junior warden; Robert Tindal, treasurer; John Thomson, secretary; G Collison and A Paul, Key-bearers; A Caird and James Tindal, stewards; George Smart, tyler; George Jack, clerk; Andrew Lyon, officer; John Beattie, David Beattie, James Jack, Alex Glegg, John Murray, David Fairweather, and A Duthie, committee.

The Aberdeen Journal, October 13th, 1824

On Friday se'enight, Mr Ferrier, precentor at Fetteresso, gave a farewell concert previous to his removal to the desk of Brechin. The audience was numerous, owing to the esteem in which Mr F. is held by the parishioners, and the music was conducted in the first style.

The Aberdeen Journal, November 10th, 1824

At Megray market, on Thursday last, which was held for the first time at Stonehaven, there was a middling show of cattle, which fully maintained the late advance in price.

The Aberdeen Journal, March 30th, 1825

At a meeting of the Directors of the Aberdeen Town and County Bank, held on 21st inst., it was resolved to establish a branch in Stonehaven. This appears to give very general satisfaction, and will, we have no doubt, be well supported, as we understand there are many partners of the bank in Kincardineshire.

The Aberdeen Journal, April 20th, 1825

We are sorry to learn, that between two and three o'clock in the afternoon of Saturday last, 16th currt., a fire broke out in the malting premises of Messrs Barclay, Macdonald, and Co., Distillers at Glenury, near Stonehaven, which spread with the utmost rapidity, and in the course of little more than an hour, burnt down the kiln, the greater part of the grain lofts and malting barn, and also the stock of barley and malt belonging to the company, notwithstanding the great exertions made by the people connected with the work, assisted by a large body of men from Stonehaven. The distillery is separated from these buildings by the mill-lade, but communicated with them at upper storey, by means of a covered passage or platform. The flames laid hold of this passage, and extended to part of the roof of the distillery, when a few intrepid individuals, at the hazard of their own lives, dashed into the passage, and by quickly demolishing it, removed the communication between the two buildings and thereby saved the distillery, spirit cellar, and whole brewing and distilling machinery. The flames in the meantime raged with the greatest fury in the malting premises, and although by four o'clock of the afternoon, it was so far got under as to prevent any further risk, the ruins continued smoking all night and the greater part of the following day. It was purely accidental.

The Aberdeen Journal, May 11th, 1825

On Saturday last, about one o'clock, Andrew Clark, one of the workmen employed at Glenury Distillery, being sent to examine the state of the great boiler, by some unfortunate accident fell backwards into it and was so dreadfully burned, that he died in extreme agony at 7 o'clock in the evening. The water was nearly at burning point, and he was entirely immersed in it. No one was at hand but Mr Buchanan, the distiller, who rushed to his assistance and had his hands and arms dreadfully scalded in pulling him out; indeed the heat of the liquor and the weight of the unfortunate man had nearly overcome him, so that it was with difficulty he escaped being drawn into the boiler himself, by his humane exertion; on behalf of the sufferer, who, we understand, was but recently married.

The Aberdeen Journal, July 27th, 1825

We hear from a correspondent that the new parish church of Banchory-Ternan, the elegance and spaciousness of which have been so much admired, was opened for divine service on Sunday, the 17th currt., when, besides a numerous attendance of the heritors and parishioners, a great many strangers were present. The Rev. Mr Gregory preached an eloquent and appropriate sermon from Genesis xxviii - 16, 17, which, we understand he has been requested to publish.

The Aberdeen Journal, November 30th, 1825

It gives us pleasure to hear that the improvement to the harbour of Stonehaven, so desirable for the safety of the shipping on the east coast of Scotland, and so important for the prosperity of the town and neighbourhood is about to be realised. The Harbour Trustees, we understand, have concluded a contract with Mr Gibb of this place for nearly 600 feet of pier on the south side of the harbour, which, with a corresponding extension of the pier on the north side, inclosing a space of four acres, will, it is expected, render the shelter and accommodation of the harbour complete. The good effects of the intended improvements begin already to manifest themselves in increasing the trade of the place and raising the value of property. A proposal for the establishment of a direct trade with London has been favourably received; and, from the number of shares of the intended company already subscribed for, and the spirit of enterprise which the prospect of a safe and commodious port has given rise to, there is every prospect of this desirable object being speedily accomplished.

The Aberdeen Journal, January 24th, 1827

We are sorry to learn that Mr Robert Wyllie, Mains of Cowie, met a watery grave on Friday last by falling from the Queensferry passage boat, while stepping ashore. Mr Wyllie was on his way to Edinburgh on business.

The Aberdeen Journal, July 4th, 1827

The King has been pleased to present the Rev. Alexander Irvine to the Church and parish of Dunnottar vacant by the death of Rev. John Glennie.

The Aberdeen Journal, October 24th, 1827

A meeting of the feuars of Stonehaven was held in the town hall on 3rd inst when they elected the following gentlemen for the ensuing year to the respective offices undermentioned:- Peter Christain and James Officer, Bailies; William Strachan, Dean of Guild; John Brand, W. Bridgeford, and John Forbes, Councillors; Alexander Low, late of Criggie, Captain Alexander Falconer, and William Brebner, Harbour Commissioners.