Excerpt from

Coronation Year Souvenir 1937


EDWIN F. WARREN
Postmaster
Newport.

THE POST OFFICE NEWPORT
STAFF


WILLIAM H. JENKINS
Chief Superintendent
and
Deputy Postmaster.

E.F.WARREN
W.H.JENKINS
A,B.DOWNES
H.J.HILL
T.F.FORWARD
A.W. IVINS
A.E.NURSEY
Miss F.BROWN
A.J.DAVID
T.H.FINCH
H.G.BROOKS
T.LLOYD

Head Postmaster.
Chief Superintendent
Superintendent
Assistant Superintendent
Assistant Superintendent
Assistant Superintendent
Inspector
Sup'or in charge Telephone Exchange
Insp'r in charge Auto Tel Exchange
Insp'r in charge Repeater Station
Sales Representatives
P.O. Telephone Dock Street

THE POST OFFICE
by E.F.WARREN, Postmaster

THE Newport Head Post Office occupies a central position in High Street, and besides providing for the needs of the town, serves as a distributing office for all the mails for Monmouthshire and most of those for Breconshire and Radnorshire. The area for the administration of which it is directly responsible covers four-fifths of Monmouthshire and extends in places over the borders of neighbouring counties. The total area is about 400 square miles and its total population is greater that that of the area of any comparable Head Post Office. There are 182 subordinate post office.

The first record of a Post Office at Newport is dated 1864 when the total staff employed was 10. The total staff to-day numbers over 300. The first Post Office on the present site in High Street was occupied in 1907, but the original building has since been altered and enlarged, reconstruction schemes having been carried out in 1911, 1917,and 1918. The present building is however, now too small for modern requirements, and further scheme of reconstruction, in the course of which the whole of the adjoining Savoy Hotel site (purchased in anticipation in 1914) will be absorbed, is due to be commenced this year.
[Sadly the Post Office Sorting & Delivery Office was moved to Mill Street in 1969 and the Post Office Counter was moved to Bridge Street]

The first Post Office Telephone Exchange in Newport was opened in August 1881, but there is no record of the number of subscribers. The Exchange was converted to automatic working for local calls in 1913, being one of the first exchanges in the kingdom to be so converted. The number of local subscribers is now nearly 3,000.There are 39 other telephone exchanges in the administrative area.

The use of motor transport in the postal service is increasing rapidly. There are now 17 vans and motor cycle combinations operating from the Newport Office, and this number will be increased very shortly to 27. To provide garaging and maintenance for these the Post Office is now building in Rodney Road a new garage and workshop, which, is hoped, will be completed this year. Besides collection and delivery services in the town, the Post Office vans operate road services to Chepstow, Monmouth (and intervening places) and the towns in the Eastern, western, Sirhowy and Rhymney Valleys. Other vans and motor-cycle combinations operate from the subordinate offices; the total number of vans operating in the administrative area being 43.

There are direct letter and parcel mails between Newport and all the important towns in the kingdom, including places as far distant as Perth in Scotland and Waterford and Dublin in Ireland. The average number of letters posted in the town and the average number of letters delivered both exceed fourteen millions annually. More than 140,000 bags of letters and parcels are despatched annually from the Head Office and over 300,000 bags are received.

Telegraphically, the Newport Office is in direct communication with all the neighbouring towns as well as with London, Bristol and Birmingham.

The average number of telegrams dealt with annually is nearly 500,000. And the traffic is now steadily increasing after some years of depression

 


Opening of the New Post Office by the Rt Hon S.C.Buxton M.P. July 18th 1907
Click HERE for larger view

 

Back