Bells of Liverpool
..
Samuel M Austin



Liverpool, St Mary, Highfield St
Formerly 8 bells, tenor 13-0-4

Grid Ref.: SJ343909
Frame: Metal. Hung in three rows, 1,3,5 on top, 2,4,6, on the North side of the bottom level and 7,8 on the south.
Retuning: Never subsequently retuned.
Chiming apparatus: Clavier, upstairs, up a staircase which spirals round the inside of the tower.
Sound: B. Trebles a bit weak
Go: B

Bell

Diameter

Weight

Note

Founder

 

 

 

 

 

Treble

21"

 

G

John Taylor & Co. Loughborough 1952

2nd

22"

 

F#

John Taylor & Co. Loughborough 1952

3rd

24½"

 

E

John Taylor & Co. Loughborough 1952

4th

27¾"

 

D

John Taylor & Co. Loughborough 1952

5th

30½"

 

C

John Taylor & Co. Loughborough 1952

6th

32¼"

 

B

John Taylor & Co. Loughborough 1952

7th

36"

 

A

John Taylor & Co. Loughborough 1952

Tenor

41"

13-0-4.

G

John Taylor & Co. Loughborough 1952


Inscriptions:


Even though the bells are only inscribed:

*JOHN TAYLOR & CO. FOUNDERS*LOUGHBOROUGH*ENGLAND*1952

According to the church leaflet, they were Christened with the following names:

Treble: Theodore

2. Damian

3. Romauld

4. Christopher

5. Gregory

6. Joseph

7. Mary

8. Bede


The tenor has an external chiming hammer connected to an electric tolling unit.

There was a chime of 8 cast by Matthew O’Byrne 1920. When the church was destroyed in WWII, the parish priest had the three remaining bells hung in a chime stand so the bells kept calling people to church. The bells were removed in 200? And the church demolished. The front four of the chime are now the back four of a ring of six bells at Stanton in the Peak, Derbys.
 


 

www.bellsofliverpool.co.uk