Bells of Liverpool
..
Samuel M Austin



St Helens, St Thomas, Eccleston
8 bells, 9-0-7

Grid Ref.: SJ506954

Liverpool Branch
Frame: Wooden, 60ft in the tower. Mears & Stainbank London 1933
Retuning: 1-4 never subsequently retuned, 5-8 retuned by Mears & Stainbank London 1933
Ringing room: Upstairs.
Sound: C. (Ding, ding, ding, ding, bamm, bammm, bammmm, bammmmm)
Go: C. Some of the pulleys feel as if they are thrip’ny bit shaped!

Bell

Diameter

Weight

Note

Inscription

 

 

 

 

 

Treble

25"

3-2-2.

F#

Mears & Stainbank London 1933

2nd

26"

3-3-13.

E#

Mears & Stainbank London 1933

3rd

28"

4-1-21.

D#

Mears & Stainbank London 1933

4th

29¾"

4-2-5.

C#

Mears & Stainbank London 1933

5th

31"

6-0-0

B

C & G Mears Foundry London 1845

6th

33"

6-1-18.

A#

C & G Mears Foundry London 1845

7th

34¼"

6-2-18.

G#

C & G Mears Foundry London 1845

Tenor

38½"

9-0-7.

F#

C & G Mears Foundry London 1845


Inscriptions:

Treble:         MEARS & STAINBANK LONDON 1933

On waist:

                    THIS BELL WAS GIVEN IN MEMORY OF JAMES CRESSWELL PIGOT, M.A. VICAR OF
                    THIS CHURCH 1877-1898


2                  MEARS & STAINBANK LONDON 1933

3                  CAST 1845 RECAST 1933. M&S LONDON

4                  CAST 1845 RECAST 1933. M&S LONDON

5                  C & G MEARS FOUNDRY LONDON 1845

6                  C & G MEARS FOUNDRY LONDON 1845

7                  C & G MEARS FOUNDRY LONDON 1845

Tenor           C & G MEARS FOUNDRY LONDON 1845

On waist:

                    THE GIFT OF P. GREENALL M.P. 1845

Historical Events & Dates

• 1845: Ring of six bells installed by C & G Mears.
• 1898: First peal on the six bells.
• 1901: Bells were buried in the churchyard for safekeeping, the church becoming unsafe was due to be demolished.
• 1907: Church demolished
• 1934: An inspection by Messrs Mears and Stainbank was carried out, the treble and second were found to be cracked in the crown. These were recast and two new trebles added. The remaining bells were retuned. The bells were rung for the first time on the 5th May. First peal rung on the eight bells on the 8th December.
• 1960: Church gutted by fire, the tower being relatively undamaged.
• 1961: All ironwork in the tower was replaced and all eight bells rehung.

Visited S.M.A. 2004

Sources

Diameters and inscriptions from an article in the ringing world by Jim Hedgecock, weights from a card in the ringing room and notes by S.M.A.
 
www.bellsofliverpool.co.uk