Bells of Liverpool
..
Samuel M Austin



Liverpool, St Mary, West Derby
5 Bells plus service bell, Tenor 33-0-0 in C#

Grid Ref.: SJ412929
Frame: Wooden, in the central tower
Retuning:
Chiming apparatus: Clock Chime but there is an Ellacombe apparatus which clocks the bells, ropes falling in the order 45321.
Sound: A
Go: C

 

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Founder

 

 

 

 

 

Treble

 

25”

F

John Taylor & Co. Loughborough 1888

2

 

27”

D#

John Taylor & Co. Loughborough 1888

3

 

30”

C#

John Taylor & Co. Loughborough 1888

4

 

36”

G#

John Taylor & Co. Loughborough 1888

Tenor

33-0-0

56”

C#

John Taylor & Co. Loughborough 1888

Service Bell

 

32˝”

C#

J. Warner & Sons, London 1856

Inscriptions

Treble: JOHN TAYLOR & CO., LOUGHBOROUGH

2: JOHN TAYLOR & CO., LOUGHBOROUGH

3: JOHN TAYLOR & CO., LOUGHBOROUGH

4: IOHN TAYLOR AND CO LOVGHBOROVGH MDCCCLXXXVIII

Tenor: IOHN TAYLOR AND CO LOVGHBOROVGH MDCCCLXXXVIII

Service Bell: J. WARNER & SONS CRESCENT FOUNDRY LONDON 1856

The third bell of the chime and the service bell are both hung for ringing although the service bell clapper has no flight. There is an Ellacombe hammer which is roped into the chancel crossing. . The service bell is the original bell in the present church, the building dating from 1853-6.

A brass plate in the church records:

To the Praise and Glory of God and in memory of John Pemberton Heywood, late of Norris Green, West Derby, Esquire. The clock and chimes were placed in the tower 1888, by Arthur Pemberton Heywood Lonsdale, of Shavington, Market Drayton, Shropshire, and Robert Gladstone, of Court Hey, Broad Green, Lancashire, the representatives of Anna Maria the widow of the above named John Pemberton Heywood in fulfilment of her intention to erect such a memorial in loving remembrance of her deceased husband, and in commemoration of the Jubilee Year of our beloved Sovereign Queen Victoria.

Historical Events

• 1552: “Twoo lytill bells.”
• 1625: the bells were stated to be “out of frames”
• 1786: Chapel rebuilt
• 1853-6: Present building was erected, the old chapel being pulled down. Bell cast by Warner’s. An old bell was given to St Mary’s School.
• 1888: Clock chime installed.

 
www.bellsofliverpool.co.uk