Bells of Liverpool
..
Samuel M Austin



Widnes, St Paul
Formerly 8 bells, 10-3-0

Grid Ref.:
Lancashire Association
Frame: Hung in South Tower.
Retuning:
Ringing room: Upstairs
Sound:
Go:

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Founder

 

 

 

 

 

Treble

3-2-23

24½”

G

John Warner & Sons 1907

2

3-3-26

25½”

F#

John Warner & Sons 1907

3

4-1-19

27”

E

John Warner & Sons 1907

4

5-0-7

29”

D

John Warner & Sons 1907

5

5-3-21

31”

C

John Warner & Sons 1907

6

6-3-21

33”

B

John Warner & Sons 1907

7

8-1-15

7-2-17*

357/16”

35”*

A

Gillett & Johnston 1935

John Warner & Sons 1907*

Tenor

10-3-0

39”

G

John Warner & Sons 1902

*Particulars of the bell before recasting in 1935.

Historical Events & Dates

• 1902: Tenor bell cast and hung in the tower
• 1907: Other seven bells added. Opened on 5th September 1907. First peal rung.
• 1928: Last peal on the bells rung
• 1935: 7th bell came out of it’s pit during ringing and as well as causing a lot of damage to in installation, broke itself and had to be recast
• 1950s: All ringing had stopped by the 1950s due to the deterioration of the installation due to the corrosive atmosphere in Widnes at that time. (home to numerous chemical works)
• 1980s: Bells removed from the tower by the MBRG. They were intended for St. Paul’s Stoneycroft but that scheme fell through. It is now intended to install them at the bombed out church of St. Luke Bold Street, Liverpool.

Inscriptions


Sources

Bell News 14 Sept.1907
Weights of bells (from notice in the tower) and diameters recorded in Taylors’ inspection notebooks, 1923
Gillett & Johnston foundry records, 23 August 1935
All from Chris Pickford.

www.bellsofliverpool.co.uk