M, #1317, b. 13 October 1837, d. 22 November 1887
Alexander Wood|b. 13 Oct 1837\nd. 22 Nov 1887|p1317.htm|George Wood|b. 5 Nov 1811\nd. 14 Jan 1858|p534.htm|Margaret Mair|b. 8 Nov 1813\nd. 9 Jun 1890|p1443.htm|Alexander Wood|b. 5 Jun 1778|p527.htm|Helen Pirie|b. 16 May 1780|p34.htm|James Mair||p1283.htm|Helen Sclater|b. 15 Apr 1786\nd. 23 Sep 1859|p1284.htm|
Alexander Wood was born on 13 October 1837 at Portknockie, Banffshire, Scotland.1 He was the son of George Wood and Margaret Mair. Alexander Wood was baptized on 19 October 1837 at Parish of Cullen, Banffshire, Scotland.1 His family was known by the tee-name of "King". He was a fisherman. He was the skipper of the Zulu fishing boat 'Maggie King.' He was the informant for, and present at, George Wood's death at 208 Portknockie, Banffshire, Scotland, on 14 January 1858.2 He married Jane Gardiner at Seafield Church, Portknockie, Banffshire, Scotland, on 23 October 1863.3,4 Alexander Wood witnessed the birth of John Wood on 27 March 1871 at Portknockie, Banffshire, Scotland.1,5 Alexander died on 22 November 1887 at sea, off Portknockie, Banffshire, Scotland, at age 50. He perished with the Portknockie Zulu fishing boat 'Maggie King' that foundered 2½ miles off Portknockie harbour. The entire crew were lost. They were Alexander Wood "King" (skipper), Alexander Pirie "Buxer", William Pirie "John", James McIntosh and John McIntosh (owner).6,1
- Chart (box): Descendants of George Pirie "Buxer" (b. c1672)
Chart (indented): Descendants of George Pirie "Buxer" (b. c1672)
Chart (box): Descendants of William Wood "King" (b. c1695)
Chart (indented): Descendants of William Wood "King" (b. c1695)
Children of Alexander Wood and Jane Gardiner
- [S773] Robert Mair, Neil Pirie, Information kindly supplied by Robert Mair of Durham, England.
- [S1774] George Wood, 1858 Register of Deaths in the District of Seafield in the County of Banff, "George Wood, Fisherman (Married), died 1858, January Fourteenth 6h 30m P.M. at 208 Portknockie, Rathven, Male, 47 years, Father: Alexander Wood Fisherman (Deceased), Mother: Hellen Wood Maiden Name Pirie (Deceased), Cause of death: Ulceration of his Lungs, several months, as certified by Hugh Sharp, surgeon who saw deceased January 13th, Burial Place: Old Churchyard, Cullen, as certified by James Eddie, Sexton, Informant: Alexander Wood, Son, Present, Registered: 1858, January 15th at Portknockie, Jas Cumming Registrar."
- [S2024] Alexander Wood to Jane Gardiner, Marriage entry, "1863 on the Twenty-third day of October at Seafield Church. After Banns, according to the Forms of the Established Church of Scotland. Alexander Wood, Fisherman (Bachelor), age 25, usual residence Portknockie, parents George Wood Fisherman (Deceased) and Margaret Wood M.S. Mair. Jane Gardiner, George Wood Witness, George Wood Witness, (Spinster), age 22, usual residence Cullen, parents John Gardiner Fisherman (Deceased) and Jane Gardiner M.S. Pirie. George Henderson Par. Minr. Cullen. George Wood Witness. George Wood Witness. Registered 1863 Oct: 24th at Portknockie, Jas Cumming Registrar."
- [S897] LDS Church, International Genealogical Index, "Alexander Wood, male. Spouse: Jane Gardiner. Marriage: 23 OCT 1863, Seafield, Banff, Scotland."
- [S901] LDS Church, International Genealogical Index, "John Wood, male. Birth: 27 MAR 1871 Seafield, Banff, Scotland. Father: Alexander Wood. Mother: Jane Gardiner."
- [S930] Alexander Wood, Statutory Register of Deaths in the District of Seafield in the County of Banff, "See Reg. of Cor. Ents., Vol. 1, p.43, December 21st 1887. Alexander Wood, Fisherman (Married to Jane Gardiner), died 1887 November Twenty-second, at 3h 30m P.M. About 2½ miles off Portknockie Harbour, Domicil Portknockie Seafield (Rathven), Male, 50 years. Father: George Wood, Fisherman (Deceased), Mother: Margaret Wood M.S. Mair. Cause of death: Drowning By Boat Foundering. Informant: George Wood, Brother. Registered: 1887, November 29th at Manse of Seafield, James McIntyre, Registrar."