M, #2366, b. 10 April 1839, d. 30 August 1902
John Wood|b. 10 Apr 1839\nd. 30 Aug 1902|p2366.htm|John Wood|b. 26 Jul 1802\nd. 27 Dec 1874|p1538.htm|Margaret Smith|b. 3 Dec 1806\nd. 2 Dec 1886|p1539.htm|James Wood|b. 30 Jun 1766|p1387.htm|Margaret Donaldson|b. 7 Nov 1771|p1388.htm|Alexander Smith||p2356.htm|Anne McKenzie||p2357.htm|
John Wood was born on 10 April 1839 at Portknockie, Banffshire, Scotland.1,2 He was the son of John Wood and Margaret Smith. John Wood was baptized on 21 April 1839 at Parish of Cullen, Banffshire, Scotland.1 His family was known by the tee-name of "King". He was a fisherman. He was the skipper and part owner of the Zulu fishing boat Defiance (BF 460).3 He married Ann Gardiner at Seafield Church, Portknockie, Banffshire, Scotland, on 18 October 1861.2 He was the informant for, and present at, Jane Wood's birth at Portknockie, Banffshire, Scotland, on 6 May 1864.4,5,6,2 He was the informant for Ann Wood's death at Portknockie, Banffshire, Scotland, on 17 July 1871.7,2,8 John died on 30 August 1902 at 277 Portknockie, Banffshire, Scotland, at age 63.2
Children of John Wood and Ann Gardiner
- Margaret Ann Wood b. 21 Jul 1862
- Jane Wood b. 6 May 1864, d. 10 Jan 1875
- John Wood b. 24 Mar 1866
- Ann Wood b. 7 Nov 1867, d. 28 Nov 1867
- George Wood b. 27 Nov 1868, d. 28 Dec 1868
- George Gardiner Wood+ b. 6 Jul 1870, d. 30 Jul 1945
- Elizabeth Wood b. 23 Sep 1872
- William Wood b. 27 Apr 1874
- Isabella Jane Wood+ b. 19 May 1880, d. 25 Sep 1966
- [S1745] LDS Church, International Genealogical Index, "John Wood, male. Birth: 10 APR 1839. Christening: 21 APR 1839 Cullen, Banff, Scotland. Father: John Wood. Mother: Margaret Smith."
- [S773] Robert Mair, Neil Pirie, Information kindly supplied by Robert Mair of Durham, England.
- [S3353] George Gardiner Wood, Neil Pirie, Information kindly supplied by George Gardiner Wood of Northern Virginia, USA.
- [S3349] Jane Wood (subsequently altered to Elsie-Jane Wood), Register of Births in the District of Seafield in the County of Banff, "Alteration of Child's Name. See Reg. of Cor. Ents. Vol. 1, p. 6., June 15th 1864. Jane Wood, 1864, May Sixth 10h P.M. at Portknockie (Rathven), Female. Father: John Wood, Grocer. Mother: Ann Wood M. S. Gardiner, married 1861 Oct. in Portknockie. Informant: John Wood, Father (present). Registered: 1864, May 14th at Portknockie, Jas. Cumming, Registrar."
- [S3350] Jane Wood (subsequently altered to Elsie-Jane Wood), Register of Corrected Entries for the District of Seafield in the County of Banff, "In the First Column of Entry No. 26, in the Register Book of Births for the year 1864, prefix Elsie to the name "Jane". The above alteration is made on the authority of a Certificate in the form of Schedule (D.) signed by the Minister who Baptized the Child. June 15th 1864, at Portknockie, Jas. Cumming Registrar."
- [S3143] LDS Church, International Genealogical Index, "Jane Wood, female. Birth: 06 MAY 1864 Seafield, Banff, Scotland. Father: John Wood. Mother: Ann Gardiner."
- [S3208] Ann Wood, Register of Deaths in the District of Seafield in the County of Banff, "Ann Wood (Married to James Wood "Doo", Fisherman), died 1871, July Seventeenth 9h P.M. at Portknockie (Rathven), Female, 29 years. Father: John Wood "King" Fisherman, Mother: Margaret Wood M.S. Smith. Cause of death: Mammary Abscess - 6 months, Anaemia and Exhaustion, As cert. by William Birrell L.R.C.P.E. & L.R.C.S.E. Informant: John Wood King, Brother, Not present, Portknockie. Registered: 1871, July 18th at Farskane, Jas. Cumming, Registrar."
- [S3191] Arnold Pirie, Neil Pirie, Information kindly supplied by Arnold Pirie of Portknockie, Scotland, from notes in the family bible of James Wood "Doo", late of Portknockie and Portsoy (1843 - 1890).