M, #2694, b. circa 1894, d. 22 March 1941
William Slater|b. c 1894\nd. 22 Mar 1941|p2694.htm|John Bruce Sclater|b. 1851\nd. 13 Apr 1931|p1844.htm|Ann Mair|b. 3 Mar 1849\nd. 12 May 1928|p1920.htm|James Sclater|b. 22 Nov 1818\nd. 6 May 1897|p1821.htm|Ann Sutherland|b. 24 Mar 1826\nd. 17 Jan 1900|p1833.htm|Alexander Mair|b. 22 Feb 1816|p1119.htm|Margaret Wood|b. 2 Apr 1816\nd. 8 Apr 1892|p1525.htm|
William Slater was born circa 1894. He was the son of John Bruce Sclater and Ann Mair. William Slater was a fisherman. He married Jessie McKay. The Buckie and District Directory for 1925 shows that William Slater lived at 19 Church Street, Portknockie, Banffshire, Scotland.1 William died on 22 March 1941 at sea, outside Portknockie Harbour, Banffshire, Scotland. He perished with the Portknockie seine-net motor fishing boat 'Sickle' BF 353 that was struck broadside by a large wave and capsized close to the outer harbour mouth at Portknockie. Three of the four crew drowned. They were John Alexander Slater (skipper), his son John Bruce Slater and his brother William Slater (engineer). The sole survivor was deckhand and part-owner Alexander Mair.2,3,4 He was buried after 22 March 1941 at Hillhead Cemetery, Portknockie, Banffshire, Scotland.2
- Chart (box): Descendants of James Mair "Bobbin" (b. 1755)
Chart (indented): Descendants of James Mair "Bobbin" (b. 1755)
Chart (box): Descendants of William Wood "King" (b. c1695)
Chart (indented): Descendants of William Wood "King" (b. c1695)
- [S728] Buckie and District Directory, 1925, page 78: PORTKNOCKIE, "Slater, Wm., 19 Church St.", page 111: PORTKNOCKIE, CHURCH STREET, "19, J.B. Slater, fisherman; William Slater."
- [S2012] William Slater, Gravestone inscription data, "NM175346, William Slater, c. 1894 to 22 MAR 1941. Occupation : Fisherman. Date of Birth : c. 1894. Headstone Ref : H145. Date of Death : 22 MAR 1941. Place of Death : At sea."
- [S2021] William Slater, Statutory Register of Deaths in the District of Seafield in the County of Banff, "See Reg. of Cor. Ents., Vol. 2, page 35, April 23rd 1941. William Slater, Fisherman (Married to Jessie McKay), died 1941, March Twenty-second, About 4h 45m P.M., Near Harbour Entrance, Portknockie, Usual Residence:- 19 Church Road, Portknockie, Male, 47 years. Father: John Bruce Slater, Fisherman (Deceased), Mother: Ann Slater M.S. Mair (Deceased). Cause of death: (blank) Informant: W.G. Donaldson, Friend, 17 Church Street, Portknockie (Present). Registered: 1941, March 24th at Portknockie, William Falconer, Registrar."
- [S1333] Mary Laing, Neil Pirie, Information kindly supplied by Mary Laing of Dinnet, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.