These photos are of the Harris Library, Museum & Art Gallery
which in the centre of the town, with the old market square in the
foreground of picture below, known as the flag market. The building
was financed from the will of E. R. Harris and was completed in
1891. A magnificent neo-classical building in Greek revival style.
Extensive collection of fine art, decorative art, social history
and archaeology. The art Gallery has fine examples oil paintings
and water-colours by major 19th century British artists and also
collections of costume, textiles, ceramics and glass.
New the "Story of Preston" gallery tells the history
of town and surrounding area
Exhibitions are arranged on a regular basis Details available from
a quarterly newsletter
The museum now advertises its events and exhibitions on www.visitpreston.com/harris/
The museum also produced a website about Horrockses and the cotton