Robot Project Video's & Pictures
Here are the videos of the robot in action; they were included on a CD Rom that was also handed in as part of my final project to demonstrate it did work, just in case things didn't go according to plan on the day (thankfully everything was OK).
The quality may not be fantastic, but I've cut it down so that the clips shouldn't take too long to download.
NB. The track was composed of four sheets of A3 paper taped together and standard black insulation tape to mark the track. The fold over piece to make the track open ended was A4 size.
Clip No.1 Shows the robot tracking anticlockwise around the track.
Clip No.2 Shows the robot tracking clockwise around the track.
Clip No.3 Shows an unexpected bonus of the program, that is, that the robot is able to locate the track by itself when started from the centre of the layout
Clip No.4 Shows the what happens when the track is made open ended.
Clip No.5 Shows a close up of the robot tracking anticlockwise around the track.
Clip No.6 Shows a close up of the robot tracking anticlockwise around the track.
I decided to add a few close up higher quality photo's of the robot, because when I was making my design I found there were very few close up design examples out there.
This is a photo of the finished robot. Note the sensor PCB located just behind the front wheel, the two sets of red/green LEDs to indicate if each sensor can see the track and how the motors are mounted using plumbing clips.
This picture is a close up of how the motor was mounted, using two 22mm pipe clips bought from a local DIY shop. The cap across the motor was a safeguard against interference from the motor.
This is a picture of both motors - note that one motor is mounted in the opposite direction to the other due to the position of the gearbox, and that they were labelled to help when doing the final wiring up.
This series of three photos detail the line sensor module. The final photo in the series shows the IR LED and detector (LED - two legs, detector - three legs). Note that I had to paint the detector body (you can see the actual lens is clear) with matt black (blackboard) paint to prevent external IR sources from triggering it.
This photo shows the control box opened to allow access to the pcbs. I built each part of the circuit individually then wired them together. This modular method allowed me to test and verify each part of the design as I progressed.
This series of photos shows the various pcb modules. From left to right - line sensor indicator, power supply, microcontroller, motor drive.
Accurate and clear labelling of wires was essential!