COLLIERIES OF THE NORTH STAFFS COALFIELD (C)

All National Grid references shown thus G.R.999666


Back to list of Pit Names

CHATTERLEY

CHATTERLEY COLLIERY ( SNEYD ESTATE. )

Leases from the Sneyd Estate.

( I ) Jan / Dec. 1859 Mr. Allinson mining ironstone.

( II ) Jan 1st. 1860 to Jan 3rd 1864 .
Leased to the Chatterley Company of Messrs. Baird Robertson Todd and Simpson.

Note in Sneyd’s minerals got book.

“ - The present Chatterley Company have disposed of the Chatterley colliery unto Frederick Bishop. --“(Of the Mount, Penkhull. Retired to Cannes, d 1891.)

( III ) 4th Jan 1864 Frederick Bishop and Company. 25th March 1866 end of first two years, minimum rent now£3000 p.a. Workingironstone, slack coal and bricks. ( By 1870 also working alum shale, oil shale and making oil. ) 31st March 1871, end of seven years, minimum rent now becomes £4000 p.a. for the next five years Last entry in Sneyd’s minerals got book 31st March 1872.Frederick Bishop became a director of the Chatterley Iron Company.

CHATTERLEY IRON COMPANY( REGISTERED 1865. )

Manager C.J.H. Homer. Company offices, Chatterley Hall.

Three blast furnaces opposite Ravensdale forge. A blast engine was built for the Company in 1868, it was an Adamson ( of Manchester ) vertical blower. The engine house was finally demolished for the construction of Mitchell Way. Oil was made from the cannel row coal prior to 1875, 50 to 60 gallons of oil per ton of coal. Also the Great Row, five feet to eight feet thick in the north of the take, was overlain by a cannel which gave 30 gallons of oil per ton. The residue from the distillation, ( in iron retorts ), yielded “—a fair ironstone –“ and was used as such.

Homer resigned from the Company in the 1870’s in a dispute with the other directors who disagreed with his policy of expansion. The Company went into voluntary liquidation in Jan. 1879. There was a court order to continue winding up in 1881, stayed in Dec 1881. Another court order to continue winding up under supervision 26th April 1884 and to dissolve 12th Feb. 1896. Whitfield Collieries were purchased by the Company in 1872. ( Chatterley Whitfield Collieries Ltd. was registered in 1891. )

WILLIAMSON’S NEWFIELD AND CHATTERLEY COLLIERIES

WILLIAMSON’S NEWFIELD

NO.S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 & 13.

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Ironstone; Red Shagg, Red Mine.

Abandoned about 1857.

WILLIAMSON’S CHATTERLEY COLLIERIES

NO.S 4 5 6 7 8 9 & 10.

Sneyd estate leased to the Goldendale Company of Messrs. Williamson Bros.

Lease commenced 3rd March 1854. Ending 3rd March 1876. Royalties show that the pits were worked continuously for ironstone slack and coal from 1st June 1854 to 1st July 1873. 221 acres 3 roods and seventeen perches, all coals and ironstones were included in the lease. Royalty on coal 1/8d. per ton of 2880 lbs. Royalty on slack 6d. per ton of 2880 lbs. Royalty on calcined ironstone 1/3d. per ton of 2400 lbs. Bricks tiles and quarries 1/-d. per thousand.

Messrs. Williamsons to pay half the cost of a machine man whose wage is not to exceed 18/- per week. Also to supply tracings of minerals got every half year, 24th of June and 25th of December within one month of each. Messrs. Williamson to keep a book and to enter therein all the weights regularly, such book to be accessible at all times to Mr. Sneyd or his agent.

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Williamsons 4 5 6 7 8 9 10.

Ironstones; Red Shagg, Red Mine Abandoned 1875. Plans held by R. Sneyd, Estate Office.

However two of the pits continued after 1875.

Chatterley No.4.
Ironstone; Half Yards, Red Shagg, Red Mine. Abandoned 3rd June 1891.

Chatterley No. 6.
Ironstone; Half Yards, Red Shagg, Red Mine. Abandoned March 1892.

CHATTERLEY COLLIERIES & WORKS

There were two ironworks at Chatterley, those worked by the Williamson Brothers at 515 852 approx, which were known as the Goldendale Ironworks and which worked under various guises until the 1970’s and included Ravensdale Forge. Ravesdale New Forge was originally worked by a Mr Bate circa 1860. ( Possibly Alfred Bate ? )

Mr Bate applied for permission to build a canal branch under the NSR at Ravensdale to obtain Talke coal without paying NSR transfer charges. (The line from Talke to Chatterley exchange sidings was a private line worked by Talke engines.) Permission for the canal was granted in 1864 and it was built, but Bate went bankrupt in 1870 and the ironworks etc, were taken over by Robert Heath and Sons Ltd.

Also there were the Ironworks of the Chatterley Ironworks Ltd.

CHATTERLEY COLLIERIES

1851 White’s Directory, Mathew Hodgkinson, mineral agent and grocer, Chatterley. (The combination of Colliery Official and Grocer infers the truck system.) It is possible that this man was an agent for Williamson’s pits.

In 1860, Frederick Bishop 1815-1891, a Solicitor, took a lease from the Sneyd Estate to mine ironstone at Chatterley and he continued until circa 1865. He became a Director of the Chatterley Iron Co.

In 1864, Charles James Horatio Homer (1837-93), became Managing Director and Mining Engineer of the Chatterley Ironstone Company until his resignation about 1875-6.

(Chatterley Iron Co Ltd, registered 1865. Voluntary liquidation Jan 1879. Court order to continue winding up under supervision Dec 1881; to stay proceedings Dec 1881; to continue winding up under supervision 26 April 1884 to dissolve 12. Feb 1896.)

The Chatterley Company made iron. The blast engine house stood until demolished for Mitchel Way. It was built from blue engineering bricks in 1868 and contained an Adamson vertical blast engine, built in Manchester. (Adamson himself was a member of the NSIMM Eng’s and was known by Homer.)

In 1865 Homer had a vertical winding engine installed at No4 pit of Chatterley Iron Company. He appears to have had a distinct preference for vertical engines, installing them whenever he had a choice. (The Chatterley Pits were numbered consecutively from 1, certainly to 6, probably to 10 or more and there were also the “Top Pits”.)

Whilst Homer was at Chatterley he installed plant to produce oil. Iron retorts were used to roast coal and produce oil. Prior to 1875 the Cannel Row coal was used for oil making, 50 to 60 gallons of oil were produced from each ton processed. In the north of the Great Row take, the Great Row was overlain by a black Cannel from which 30 gallons of crude oil per ton processed was obtained. The residue from oil distillation was used as ore for the blast furnaces and was described as a “fair ironstone”.

Homer was a founder member of the North Staffordshire Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers and the President from 1874-6. In 1874 his professional address was Chatterley Hall, Tunstall. (Previously the offices of the Williamsons.) He would appear to have encouraged his staff to join the Institute as the following all did, during his presidency.

Elected

1874 W. Wells Bladen Chatterley Works

1874 Frederick S. Dale Chatterley Works

1874 Henry Horne Chatterley Works

1872 John Salt Chatterley Works

1874 James Worthington Chatterley Works

1875 Joseph R. Wain Secretary to the Chatterley Works

1875 George Greatbach Surveyor to the Chatterley Works

1875 John Lewis Cartwright Chatterley Works

1875 James Marshall Engineer to the Chatterley Works

Homer owned freeholds in which the Whitfield Colliery was sunk and the Chatterley Ironstone Company bought the Whitfield Colliery in 1871-2, supposedly to increase coal supplies to the company. It would seem that the several collieries worked by the Chatterley Whitfield Company in Hanley, Northwood and Bucknall areas were originally the property of Homer and became part of the Chatterley Whitfield Company after his involvement with the Chatterley Iron Company.

WHITFIELD COLLIERY

Whitfield takes its name from a hamlet in the parish of Norton in the Moors and coal had been mined there for centuries. Hulton Abbey rented coal pits in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries for the customary rent of one mark (or 13 shillings and fourpence) per year. This was the usual rent to cover one bell pit or one pick man.

The original Whitfield Colliery was half a mile south on the west side of Ball Green. The Gentleman’s Magazine for October 1816 states, “Coal abounds in the Parish and is mined at various depths. The principle works are at Ford Green, Whitfield and Bemersley, at the former price is 5d per hundredweight or 8s and 4d per ton”.

Simeon Shaw in his book ( 1828 ), referring to the eighteenth century says, “Ralph Leigh, 83 years of age in 1813 was employed by John Taylor of Hill Top, (Burslem) to look after his horses and was the first man whose wages were raised from 10d to 1/- per day. With four or six horses he went twice to Whitfield or thrice to Norton in a day, for coal: of which each horse brought back 2 ½ hundredweights on its back; along lanes extremely dirty and roads scarcely passable.

At the pit coals then cost 7d the draught, whether 2, 21/2 or 3 hundredweight; for the colliers guessed at the quantity and did not take the trouble to weigh them. The charge for carrying each load from Norton to Burslem was threepence the mile.”

By 1853, Hugh Henshall Williamson was working the Cockshead Coal by two footrails at Ridgeway. Williamson worked westwards and shafts replaced footrails. They were known as the Prince Albert or the Albert Pit and the Laura Pit. The latter being later widened and deepened. The first pits on the Chatterley Whitfield site were sunk by H H Williamson in 1863, they included the Engine Pit, the Middle Pit also known as the Ragmans and an 80yd pit which later became the Institute Pit.

In 1867, the Whitfield Colliery Company Ltd was formed with a capital of £25,000. The company was incorporated on 14 July 1868. However, H H Williamson died on 3 December 1867.

Emanuel Lovekin, in his autobiography, says Orlands (Bawson?) sank the two 10 foot pits at the Whitfield Colliery Company. Mr Andrews the Manager and Mr Joseph Mack Undermanager. Whitfield colliery gave it up and the Chatterley Colliery Company took it off Mr Charles Homer.

It would seem that C J H Homer replaced H H Williamson’s control of the Whitfield Colliery and was responsible for the formation of the company. As we have already stated in 1872 the Chatterley Iron Company Ltd bought the Whitfield Colliery Company. C J H Homer being deeply involved in both companies.
In the depression of the 1870’s Homer was determined to invest and expand but could not carry the other directors with him. As a result, some time around 1875-6 he resigned and started, together with the Duke of Sutherland, John, Bourne and John Pender MP, the Stafford Coal & Iron Works at Great Fenton.

This left the Chatterley Company to retrench and continue, and like most other North Staffordshire iron works, to collapse into bankruptcy as competition from foreign ores and steel producers became ever fiercer. However, prior to the final demise of the Chatterley Iron Company, Chatterley Whitfield Collieries Ltd was formed and registered in 1896 and continued until nationalisation.

After the voluntary liquidation of the Chatterley Iron Company in 1879, Joseph Renshaw Wain, the Company Secretary, was appointed as the liquidator to administer the company. His son Edward Brownfield Wain, 1861-1925, was by 1882 the under-manager of Chatterley Whitfield Collieries and manager in 1886. In 1920 he was still the manager and his son, Roger Clement Wain, the under-manager.

A railway connection of 2 miles 55 chains was built to link the Chatterley and Whitfield works in 1878. The paddy trains which operated consisted of ex Barnum and Bailey’s circus vans.

By 1928, the colliery employed 4402 men including 249 boys under 16.

In 1939 the manager was Roger Clement Wain and 3771 men were employed underground and 827 aboveground (a total of 4598 men and boys). During the 1930’s the colliery was the first in the country to achieve an annual production of over 1 million tons of coal per annum.

CINDERHILL

Longton 1869, Charles Leighton.

PARK HALL ; WESTON COYNEY ; CINDERHILL

COAL; Birches, Yard, Mossfield, Holly Lane, Hardmine. Ab. 1882-88.

18NE 1925. H 3.4. 18SE 1925. A 3.4. B3.4.

CLANWAY COLLIERY
529 862, 523 8585. app.

Was developed by John Henry Clive 1781 1853. Born in Bath the son of Richard Clive, the younger brother of Clive of India. Richard Clive died in a debtors prison and the Clive family rejected Sarah his widow, who came with her son to live with the Heathcote family at Longton Hall. Sarah later married Charles Simpson, a potter and moved to Newfield Hall where the young John Henry Clive joined Admiral Smith Child in running a potworks.

Clive married twice firstly Lydia Cash, by whom he had five children and secondly Ann the widow of Henry Roylance. Clive lived for some time at Clanway Hall. In 1825 Clive went into business on his own account. (See Newfield, Tunstall). In 1838 Clanway colliery was owned by Messrs. Child and Clive. By 1850 it was working both coal and ironstone, a tramway was built to a wharf at Newfields and to the Trent and Mersey at Chatterley. A considerable number of shafts were sunk, Number 26 existed and may not have been the last.

Slater’s Directory 1851.

Clanway. Messrs Child and Clive.

1896 Clanway Numbers 1 ( Limeheath. ) 3, 7, 21.

Messrs. Clive Son and Myatt. Manager W.B. Clive undermanager F. Heathcote. 127 u/g, 45 a/g.

Coal and ironstone, Spencroft, Great Row, Little Row, Chalkey Mine.

1900 Clive Son and Myatt.
Diamond, Goldenhill, Limeheath, Mostyn and Queen pits.

1905 Jubilee and Queen pits manager W. Clive. 168 yards to the Chalkey Mine.

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Clanway and Goldenhill, Diamond, Jubilee, Lime Heath 4245.

Coal, peacock, Chalkey, Spencroft, Great Row, Little Row, Ironstone, Bassey Mine, Gubbin, Half Yards, Chalkey Mine. Shale, Brown Mine. Abandoned prior to March 1902.

Clanway 7703 Coal, Cannel Row roof, Ironstone bass Abandoned June 1923.

Clanway 9100 Coal, Great Row. Abandoned about Aug 1925.

Clanway Coal Great Row, Roof coal, Bass, Cannel Abandoned 1913

CLANWAY AND GOLDENHILL

Diamond, Jubilee, Limeheath.

6SE 1926. H 12.

11NE 1925. A 10. 11. 12. B 10. 11. 12. C 10. 11. 12.

12NW 1925. A 1. B 1. C 1.

CLANWAY FARM 525 863 app.

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Clanway Farm. Coal and ironstone, Brown Mine. Abandoned 4 10 1920. 11NE 1925. C 12.

CLANWAY LANE

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Clanway Lane. Coal, Great Row. Abandoned 30 March 1926. 12NW 1925. B 1.

CLOUGH HALL COLLIERY. See Kidsgrove section.

CHELL COLLIERY. 534 873, and 534 869. app.

(See Oxford colliery, Chell and Oxford Collieries. )

Slater’s Directory 1851.

Chell Colliery.

Robert Beswick.

White’s Directory 1851. R. Beswick, Chell and Watergate Street, Tunstall.

Chell Colliery Beswick Bros. 1880.

Robert Beswick born ca. 1804 at Halliwell, near Bolton, Lancashire. By 1841 he was living in Watergate Street, Tunstall and by 1851 working a coal and ironstone colliery at Great Chell trading as the Chell Coal and Iron Company. He also had interests in potworks, brick and tile making and building.
In 1862 a rail connection was established to the N.S.R. Biddulph Valley line.

N.S.I.M.M.E. Robert Beswick Jnr, 1873, and Willian Scragg 1874 were both Elected, from Chell Collieries near Tunstall.

Luke Bishop Colliery Proprietor, Chell Colliery, Near Tunstall. Elected 1875.

1896 Chell Colliery Company. Manager Robert Beswick undermanager James Brunt. 56 u/g, 21 a/g.

Coal and ironstone, Winghay, Burnwood, Twist.

In 1900 the name was changed to the Tunstall Coal and Iron Company Ltd. but the company closed in 1901 and was scrapped by T.W. Ward.

CHELL AND CHELL HEATH

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Coal, Burnwood 1900, Twist 1875, Winghay 1887. Ironstone, Burnwood 1900, New mine 1872, Rusty Mine 1891. Plans Chatterley Whitfield Collieries.

7SW 1925. H 3. 4.

12NW 1925. A 3. 4. B 3. 4. C 3. 4. D 3. 4. E 3.4.5.

CHELL AND TURNHURST.

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Coal, Rowhurst 1885, Winghay 1892, Burnwood, Twist, 1893. Chalkey. Ironstone, Rusty 1879, Lark 1880, Brown Mine 1882, Burnwood. Plans Robert Heath.

7SW 1925 G 1.2.3. H 1.2.3.

12NW 1925. A 1.2.3.4. B 1.2.3.

CHELL HEATH AND CHELL MEADOWS. 2447

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Coal, Winghay. Ironstone, Chalkey Mine. Abandoned 18 5 1890.

12NW 1925 A 1.2.3. B 1.2.3. C 3.4. D 3.4.

CHELL HEATH AND HIGH LANE 2172.

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Ironstone, Rusty Mine Abandoned 13 3 1888.

12NW 1925 A 3. B 3. C 3.4. D 3.4. E 3.4.

CLAYHOLES 484 892 app. See Shelton pits.

On east side of Chell Street at Providence Square. Two Shafts shown on O.S.

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Clayhole, 9327. Coal, Ragman Abandoned 1860.

CLAYHILLS (TUNSTALL.)
Slater’s Directory 1851. Christopher Netherwood, coalowner, Clayhills.

CLINK PIT
Wood Lane. No details known, probably derived from Nibble and clink.

CRABTREE COLLIERY

A plan of 1819 for the construction of the turnpike from Biddulph to Mossley shows a pit and engine house on the land called Throstle Nest, ( at the lower end of Grangefields ), owned and occupied by Edward Mainwaring. This pit known as the Crabtree colliery had ceased working in 1830 when the land was owned by John Bateman.

CROMER ROAD See Hanley and Northwood.

CRACKLEY COLLIERY ( TOP CRACKLEY.) 504 834. app.

Sunk as an ironstone pit by Stanier on Sneyd’s land. It was from these pits that Stanier’s wagonway ran across the road across Parkhouse to join the Chatterley Iron works tramway and then the Trent and Mersey canal. Stanier’s Top pits were reputedly filled in about the year 1884 by J.T. Minshall, the Apedale Company Engineer. They were subsequently reopened by T. Bentley, Red Street.and worked until 1921.

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Crackley. Ironstone, Red Shag, Red Mine, Blackband. Abandoned about 1875. Coal, Great Row. Abandoned 1902.

Crackley 7214 Coal, Great Row. Abandoned 2 April 1921.

11NE 1925. G 5.6. H 4.5.6.

11SE 1926 A 4.5. B 5.

COBRIDGE COLLIERY 490 876 app.

White’s Directory 1834.

Baddeley and Company,

Sneyd and Cobridge collieries

John Hales was a potter of Cobridge, part owner of the Cockshead Colliery, Norton and stepfather of William Adams II 1748 1831. Adams was a very successful potter but for some reason transferred his interest to collieries. In 1780 he built Cobridge Hall and bought up some of the land in Cobridge. He leased numerous pits in Hanley, Sneyd and Cobridge as well as owning collieries on his Cobridge land, which were eventually sold for £35000. As early as 1792 he had a Boulton and Watt engine erected at one of his pits. Adams became a religious fanatic and increasingly eccentric, he died in 1831 at Cobridge Hall.

John Ward ca. 1838 mentions the Cobridge Colliery Company. But by 1851 Thomas Brindley, born 1814 is listed as a coal and ironmaster, Cobridge Colliery, employing 40 men and boys and living at Elder Cottage, Elder Road, Burslem.

Slater’s Directory 1851.

( 1 ). Cobridge colliery. Thomas Brindley

( 2 ). Cobridge colliery. William Heath.
( 3 ). Cobridge Colliery, Near Shelton. Fox and Tinsley.

So, evidently there was more than one Cobridge colliery.

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Cobridge 2893 Ironstone, Gubbin. Abandoned 4 2 1891. 12SW 1926. C 4.5.

Cobridge 3125. Coal, Peacock, Spencroft. Marl, Hoo Cannel, Peacock. Ironstone, Bassey Mine. Abandoned Feb 1894.

12SW 1926. C 3.4. D 4.

CALLY (CALIFORNIA ?)

Possibly California. No details known. Kidsgrove area.

CO-OPERATIVE COLLIERY 491 800 app.

Small colliery situated under Halmerend workingmens club, small dirt tips were levelled for the club. About the year 1880 it was bought by the Yorkshire Miners Federation, but failed.

CHURN FLAT See White Star

WHITE STAR OR CHURN FLAT Biddulph.

Coal; Cockshead ab. 4th April 1913. 7NW 1900. D 5. E 4.5.

CENTRAL COLLIERY
Formerly Ubberley Hall Colliery. 460 912 app.

Just off Dividy Road, near Ubberley, Bucknall. Working ca. 1880 1900.

Central colliery Ltd. Bucknall. John Pye 1896.

1896 Central Collieries Ltd., Longton, Staffs. Manager George Lake. 60 u/g, 15 a/g.

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Central ( Formerly Ubberley Hall ). 3872.

Coal, Ten Foot, Bowling Alley, Holly Lane, Hardmine. Abandoned prior to 1886. Banbury, Cockshead. Abandoned Dec. 1898.

Central 8768. Coal, Ten Foot. Abandoned 31 Mar 1927.

18NW 1925. B 12. C 12. D 12.
18NE 1925. B 1. C 1.2. D 1.2.

CHAPEL LANE 557 861 app.

1900 Chapel Lane. Thomas Bennett, Birch Vale, Stockport, Cheshire.

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Chapel Lane 4161. Parish, Newchapel. Coal, Rough 7 Foot, Stoney 8 Foot, 10 Foot. Abandoned April 1900.

6SE 1926. B 12. C 12.

7Sw 1925. B 1. C 1.

CLOUGH LANE

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Parish, Caverswall. Coal, Crabtree. Abandoned 18 11 1926.

18NE 1925. A 6.

CHEADLE PARK One mile north of Cheadle.

1896 Cheadle Park Colliery Co. Ltd. manager Stephen Offer 47 u/g, 22 a/g. Coal, Woodhead.

1908 Cheadle Park Colliery Co. Manager W. Lockett. 49 u/g, 12 a/g. Closed ca. 1914.

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Cheadle; Birches; Cheadle Mill. Coal, Woodhead. Abandoned 1876

Plans Park Hall Colliery Co., Cheadle.
Cheadle and Birches. Coal, Woodhead. Abandoned 1881.

Cheadle Park. 6376 Coal, Cobble Abandoned June 1913.

6377 Coal, Woodhead. Abandoned 12 Sept 1914.

19NW 1925.F 10.11. G 10.11.12. H 10.11.12.

19SW 1925. A 12.

CHEDDLETON See Shaffalong.

1908 Westwood Manor Coal and Iron Co. manager B. Parker. 30 u/g, 26 a/g.

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Shaffalong or Cheddleton 5444. Parish, Cheddleton. Coal, Cobbler or Cockle. Abandoned Dec 1909.

CHEADLE OPENCAST Deliveries 1954.

CHEADLE ; BIRCHES; CHEADLE MILL

Coal; Woodhead ( 1876 )
Plans Park Hall colliery Co. Ltd. , Cheadle.

19SW 1925. C 12. D 12.

10SE 1925. B 1.2. C 1.2.3. D 1.2.

CHEADLE AND BIRCHES

Coal; Woodhead ( 1881 ) J.T. Onions 162 Lea Rd. Wolverhampton

19SW 1925. C 12. D 12.

19SE 1925 B 1. C 1.2. D 1.

CHILDERPLAY COLLIERY Biddulph.

1834 James Bateman.

1851 John Bateman.

CHURCH HILLS.

Footrail. Audley. Smallwoods.

COCKSHEAD COLLIERY

John Hales, died 1757, was a part owner of the Cockshead colliery, Norton. His Stepson William Adams obtained an interest in the Cockshead colliery. He encouraged a local engineer named COPE to experiment with atmospheric engines. Eventually Adams bought two Boulton and Watt engines.

( COPES of Norton supplied at least one engine to Silverdale collieries. )

CHURCH LANE Mow Cop 572 861 app.

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Church Lane 2381. Coal, Hoo Cannel. Ironstone, Oil Shale, Fireclay Abandoned 5 July 1889.

Church Lane 2691. Coal, Hoo Cannel, Ironstone, Oil Shale, Fireclay Abandoned Dec 1890.

Church Lane 6874 Parish, Newchapel. Coal, Little Row. Abandoned 5 March 1918.

Church Lane694 Parish, Newchapel. Coal, Little Row. Crabtree. 25 June 1919.

11NE 1925. A 10.

CHURCH LANE Newchapel. Coal; Little Row Ab. 5th March 1918, Crabtree Ab. 25th June 1919. 6NE 1900. G 12.

CHURCH LAWTON Footrail. Deliveries to m/d 1960.

COLCLOUGH LANE

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Parish, S-on-T. Coal, Spencroft, Great Row. 1886 ( and seam unnamed. ) Ironstone, Blackstone. Plans Goldenhill Colliery Co.

6SE 1926. H 11.12.

11NE 1925. A 9.10.11.12.B 10.11.12.

CONGLETON ROAD 579 865 app.

Footrail. Worked the 2 Foot Coal ? Deliveries to m/d 1952.

COVRY See Apedale, Bassiloes.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Apedale – Recovery 2555A
Coal, Cannel, Little Row, Chalkey. Ironstone, Blackstone, Little Mine, New Mine, Brown Mine. Abandoned 6 Dec 1890.

COPPICE

Knight’s Coppice. J. A. Knight, 128 London Road, Chesterton, Staffs. Coal, Rough 7 Foot. Manager J. A. Knight. 7 u/g, 2 a/g.

COAL PIT HILL Talke.

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Coal Pit Hill 7403 Coal, Bottom Two Row. Abandoned 16 July 1921.

6SE1926. H 4.

CHERRY HIGH Froghall, Cheadle.

1896 Cherry High, Froghall. Thomas Bettany, Kingsley. 8 u/g, nil a/g.

1908 G.H. Key, Matlock Bath. Manager T. Bettany 7 u/g.

1918 G.H. Key, Matlock Bath. Manager T. Bettany 7 u/g. Stevenson 5 u/g, 2 a/g.

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Cherry Eye or High 5559 Ipstones, Ironstone, Red Haemetite. Abandoned June 1908.

Cherry Eye or High 7667 Ipstones, Ironstone, Red Haemetite. Abandoned June 1908.
“ “3 June 1923. 13SE 1925. E 2.3. F 2.3.

CALFCROFT

S-on-T. Coal; 18NW 1925. G 11.

CAMP

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

Parish, S-on-T. Coal, Rowhurst. Abandoned 25 11 1901.

12NW 1925. G 5.6. H 5.6.

CLEWS PITS 483 827 app.

Discovered when building the entrance to the Loomer Road speedway track and made safe.

Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Clews Probably Chesterton, ironstone.

Directory of 1863 R(alph) Aston Clews, Coal merchant, Higherland Wharf, Newcastle.

CANNEL See Harecastle.

CHALKEYsee Pinnox.

CROWCUTTER WOOd
Consall. John Hargreaves, Buxton. Manager Thos Beardmore . 1908 Standing.

CALLOW HILL

1869 Plant and Co. Cheadle.

1880 C Salt.

1882 C. Salt.

CLAYHILLS

Slater’s Directory 1851 Clayhills, Tunstall. Christopher Netherwood.

CONSALL

Consall Scott and Co. 1882. Ironstone, Haemetite Ab. July 1923.

13SW 1925. D 11.

COPPERS
Silverdale

CROMER ROAD See Hanley and Northwood.

CLAY See Woodhead.

CHEADLE
Plant and Co. 1882.

COMMONSIDE

Cheadle. William Malkin 1882.

CONSALL

Cheadle. Scott and Co. 1882.

CHESTERTON COAL AND IRON CO

J. Wilson Browne general manager, Alfred Ebenezer Wenham secretary 1880.

CHESTERTON

CHESTERTON COLLIERIES

HEATHCOTE AND KINNERSLEYS CHESTERTON COLLIERIES

( See Partridge Nest ironworks.)

The Chesterton collieries were continued after the deaths of both these gentlemen until 1826 when R.E. Heathcote commissioned "A Report upon the Chesterton colliery and coal mines belonging to R.E. Heathcote and T. Kinnersley Esquires, by N.N. Bailey mining engineer and mineral surveyer. September 1826."

Bailey in his report quoted existing accounts for the colliery from 1809 to 1814 inclusive, six years during which time the colliery consistently lost money. At this time the colliery was owned by Sir J.E. Heathcote and the debt was incurred to Kinnersley's Bank. By 1820 the colliery and estate was indebted to the bank to £2414-13-9

The bank statements from the 1st. January 1823.

1.1.1823. £3243-2-4 in debit

1.1.1824. £2550-19-5 in debit

1.1.1825. £2179-15-11 in debit

1.1.1826. £3205-2-4 in debit

30.6.1826. £4033-7-2 in debit

During these years the colliery had absorbed all the surface rents from the estate. Bailey observed, during the past eighteen months the price of coals and slack had considerably advanced, the price of labour had not risen proportionately and the colliery was still losing money. A "new recovery" had taken place prior to January 1826, after this the losses were amounting to £136-0-4 per month. After three years another new recovery would be necessary with an outlay of £3000 to £5000.

Bailey's conclusions were, the estate contained both coal and ironstone, "--- the latter is not worth one moments consideration ---". It was pointless to work out the coals at a loss and he advised the immediate stoppage of the colliery to save the coal property and to protect the partners from further loss. It was better the minerals should stay in the ground until times were more profitable.

It seems the report was acted upon and no further mining took place on the estate until after R.E. Heathcote's death (1850) when his son began to lease mineral royalties to speculators.

CHESTERTON ESTATE post 1850

The first reference to the name Eaton we have seen is to Thomas Eaton in 1807 and it is possible he was engaged in the coal trade at this date. However, between 1844 and 1854 Charles Eaton made a series of land leases in Chesterton. ( White's Directory of 1851 lists a Charles Heaton as a coal master in Chesterton ).

On the 24th. June 1854 J.E. Heathcote provided Eaton with a "covenant to produce" and a conveyance of a parcel of land. Eaton then sub-leased or set a contract to Joseph Heath, Samuel Dale and Henry Sherratt on the 31st. July 1854. These men were probably butty colliers.

Ten years later on the 12th. December 1864 there was a further agreement between Eaton and Samuel Dale, Henry Sherratt, George Barker and Charles Cope, who were by this time trading as the Chesterton Mining Company. ( In 1866 this was stated to be a new company, only formed a few years ). This company worked what became known as the Forge pit, they merged with the Chesterton Company Ltd. in 1876 and were absorbed into the Midland Coal and Iron Company in 1890. The Forge pit was retained by the Midland Company until it closed in 1930.

THE GLASSHOUSE COLLIERY O.S. S.J.85 502 827 app.

The colliery took it's name from Glasshouse farm ( 73 acres) which in turn took it's name from an eighteenth century glasshouse which was situated on the farm. The availability of coal and refactory seat earths may have influenced the choice of site, the glass industry started to use coal as a fuel in the seventeenth century.

Sometime about 1850/5 William Henry Dutton and Gavin Addie leased the mining rights. By 1865 they were working as the Glasshouse Company as in that year they entered into an agreement with the N.S.R. Co. concerning rail access to the N.S.R. Chesterton branch, ( opened 1866). The Glasshouse company was a short lived enterprise lasting only about ten years. Walcot Gibson states in the 1905 Geological survey that the Great Row was worked at 400 yards under Roggin Row. The Catalogue of Abandoned Mine Plans gives the seams worked as the Great Row coal and the Red Mine and Red Shagg ironstones and a seam unnamed. The abandonment dates are given as 1865/1867.

By 1866 Gavin Addie was the owner of one of the High Carr collieries but by 1875 his address was given as Rawyards and Western Glentore colliery offices, 25, Robertson Street, Glasgow.

The Glasshouse lease was taken by Robert Heath in October 1867. Heaths changed the method of working from pit to footrail and worked coal and the Blackband and Red Shagg ironstones, this working was abandoned in May 1922.

A small footrail was worked for coal after the war and continued until about 1960. The site was finally opencasted before becoming a housing estate.

THE PEARTREE COLLIERY O.S. S.J.84 499 826 app.

The area is now covered by part of the Crackley housing estate and Peartree Lane takes it's name from the site. The O.S. map surveyed 1875/8 shows the site abandoned and cut across by the N.S.R. Chesterton branch to the Chesterton Iron Works. There is also an engine pool adjacent to Audley road. The wayleaves for the railway were agreed about 1865/6 and it appears the colliery was abandoned before this date.

It seems the most likely owner of this colliery was Charles Eaton who was perhaps working these pits when mentioned as a coalmaster in Chesterton in 1844, although we have no evidence to show this. There is no mention of it in the Catalogue of Abandoned Mine Plans.

THE CLEWS PITS O.S. 84 483 828 app.

Ralph Aston Clews was a coal merchant at the Higherland, Newcastle. The shafts were rediscovered when the Speedway Stadium was built in Loomer Road Chesterton they were found at the site of the entrance and were made safe.


The catalogue of Abandoned Mine Plans lists only Clews, probably Chesterton, Ironstone. The pits would appear to date from 1866 or before. The Memoir of the Geological Survey, 1905. by Walcot Gibson states, "--- an old shaft known as Clew's shaft to the east of the Apedale ironworks on the downthrow side of the Apedale fault. The water is drained off by a shallow shaft in the red sandstone at the Knutton Ironworks, which is also situated on the downthrow side of the Apedale fault ---".

At some time after the abandonment of the pits a pump was installed in one of the shafts and it was used as a source of water for the Apedale works.

(New) HEM HEATH COLLIERY O.S. S.J.84 8345 499 app.

The first reference we have to this colliery is in Keate's Gazeteer and Directory of the Potteries and Newcastle of 1875/6, Hem Heath Mining Co., Edward Moss manager. The colliery was situated on what is now Parkhouse West, two pits were wound from a central winding house, no details of the machinery are known. The 1905 Memoir of the Geological Society states, "--- At Hem Heath colliery the Red Shagg ironstone is at 275 yards ---". It was an ironstone mine working the blackband ironstones so the safety regulations were not as strict as in a coal mine. Some of the coal associated with the ironstones was got for rucking the stone and probably for the associated brickyards.

The colliery was known as Hodgkinson's after the owner, who also owned brickyards. ( early maps show three brick and tile works surrounding the colliery ). He lived in Chesterton, his house later became the Fanny Deakin Hospital. The manager was Mr. Hassam who was involved in local politics. ( Hassam Parade?)
On the 25th. of February 1915 there was a fire in the engine house at the bottom of the downcast shaft, ( reputedly started from a Blacksmith's hearth used to sharpen picks ). The air current carried the products of combustion into the workings and twelve men died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. Two men, Harry Bickerton and Thomas Gleaves were awarded a gold medal for bravery in the incident.

The Catalogue of Abandoned Mine Plans gives, Hem Heath, coal and ironstone, Red Shagg; Red Mine and Blackband abandoned 31st. March 1921.

BIRCH HOUSE COLLIERY O.S. S.J.84 8325 500 app.

The colliery site is now covered by part of the Crackley estate and is commemorated by Birchhouse Road. The pits were sunk on Birchhouse Farm, the Post Office Directories of 1860 and 1872 list William Gray as the farmer. The pits were sunk by Stanier about 1870 to provide ironstone, towards the end of the North Staffordshire iron boom years. It is shown on early maps on the west side and very close to the road, ( Crackley Bank ). The colliery was always known locally as "bottom Crackley".

It was connected by a tubway to a siding on the N.S.R. Chesterton branch, as was usual rucked stone was loaded into railway wagons by a chute.

We have a description of the pits from Dank's valuation of 1883.

Birchouse No. 4 Drawing Shaft 8'dia x 180yds. 9" brickwork.

35' pitch pine frame, two 12' flat rope pulleys.

366yds. pitch pine conductors and oak stays.

260yds. 3.5" x 3/4" flat wire rope.

single deck cage, Lander and wagon, signal wire etc.

Castings in air furnace.

Birchhouse No.5 Drawing shaft 8'dia x 183yds. 9"brickwork.

570yds. pitch pine conductors, oak stays.

270yds. 3.5" x 3/4" flat wire rope, iron.

Single deck cage.

Engine.

Pair of horizontal, H.P., winding engines, coupled.

22"dia x 4' stroke mounted on cast beds.

22' 6" x 3' winding gear, two drum rings.

Boilers. Three, cylindrical with spherical ends and steam domes.

35' x 5' x 7/16"

Boilerhouse chimney, brick 84' high.

Self contained steam pump 6"dia x 13" stroke, 3.5" plunger, 36" flywheel.

Railways. 838 yds. of permanent way.

The Catalogue of Abandoned Mine Plans lists, Birchhouse, Chesterton, Ironstone, Blackband; Red Shagg and Red Mine abandoned October 1888. It seems to have been abandoned at the end of the Stanier lease probably worked out for ironstone.

TOP CRACKLEY O.S. S.J. 834 504 app.

These pits were so called to distinguish them from Birchhouse colliery which was also owned by Stanier and was always known as bottom Crackley. Top Crackley pits were situated on the east side of Crackley Bank in the area later occupied by the Michelin factory and it was from here that Stanier's wagonway ran down to the Chatterley Valley. ( There was another colliery, probably older, immediately adjacent to the north west but it was possibly on the High Carr royalty.)

Top Crackley was sunk by Stanier on Sneyd's land. It was an ironstone pit working the Blackband, Red Mine and Red Shagg stones and was abandoned in 1875. Dank's valuation of 1883 gives the pits as standing and they were filled in about 1885 by J.T. Minshall, who was the engineer of Stanier's Apedale Company.

Some time before 1900 the pits were reopened by T. Bentley, Red Street, Chesterton and were known afterwards as Bentley's pits. Bentley worked the Great Row coal until about 1921 when the colliery was finally abandoned. In 1928 the headgear was still standing and one of the shafts was reputed to be used as an air shaft for Parkhouse, so the royalty may well have been included in that of Parkhouse.

Dank's valuation of 1883 describes the colliery.

OLD AIR SHAFT 7' x 92yds. 9" brickwork.

NO.1. LATE DRAWING PIT. 7' x 124yds. 9" brickwork.

22' pitch pine frame, 6' dia. Pulley pitch pine conductors, oak stays.

220 yds flat wire rope, 3.5" x 3/4"

single deck cage.

NO.2. LATE DRAWING PIT. 7' x 154yds. 9" brickwork.

20' pitch pine frame, 6' dia. pulley.

pitch pine conductors, oak stays.

220 yds. 3.5" x 3/4" flat wire rope.

single deck cage.

NO.3. LATE PUMPING, NOW AIR SHAFT. 7'6" x 164yds. 9" brickwork

20' pitch pine frame 6' dia. flat rope pulley.

225yds. 3.5" x 3/4" flat wire rope.

ENGINE.

Engine Horizontal H.P., winding engine, 18" cyl x 4' stroke.

BOILERS.

One cylindrical, egg ended. 28' x 5' x 7/16".

One cylindrical, egg ended. 31' x 5' x 7/16".

ENGINE.
Old pumping engine, horizontal, H.P. 26" cyl x 5' stroke.
On cast bed 21' x 5'4".

BOILERS.

one cylindrical, egg ended, 37' x5' x 7/16".

two cylindrical, egg ended, 35' x 5' x 7/16.

CHIMNEY STACKS.

Boilerhouse, 72' high brick.

Enginehouse, 45' high brick.

PARKHOUSE COLLIERY O.S. 839 501 app.

Another colliery sunk by Stanier and numbered under his system No.s 6 and 7. Originally ironstone pits, the Red Mine, Red Shagg and Blackband being abandoned in 1920/1. The Memoir of the geological survey 1905 gives:-

Halfyards ironstone. 320yds.

Red Shagg ironstone. 340yds.

Red Mine ironstone. 360yds.

Worked by Stanier until c.a. 1890, then by J.H. Pearson & Co., Farcroft, Handsworth, Birmingham. Pearson was a Black Country ironmaster who also worked the Millbank and Gorsty collieries for some years, rucked stone from both pits being sent by rail to his works. From about 1900 until 1929 Parkhouse was worked by Robert Heath & Sons. The pits were then worked by John Summers & Co through one of their subsidiaries the Shelton Iron and Steel Co.

In 1931 Parkhouse No.s 1,2 & 3 pits were managed by Mr. James Scott and employed 600 men producing 180,000 tons of Great Row coal p.a. The colliery was closed for coal winding on 21stJanuary 1968. Part of the dirt tip was purchased and used by Tarmac Construction in phase two of the potteries D road.

The colliery site was reclaimed in Phase two of the Parkhouse reclamation scheme in June / October 1977 by Contractors John H. Berry, Kinoulton, Notts.

Dank's gives a description of Stanier's pits.

PARKHOUSE NO. 6 DRAWING SHAFT.

9' dia. x 328yds. 9" brickwork. 37' high pitch pine frame, 12' round rope pulley. pitch pine conductors, oak stays. Single deck cage. 430yds. 1.25 " round wire rope, (iron). Loading wagon, double purchase winch.

PARKHOUSE NO.7 DRAWING AND PUMPING SHAFT.

10' 6" dia. x 328yds. 9" brickwork. 37' high pitch pine frame, 12' round rope pulley. 656yds. 4.5" x 5" pitch pine conductors, oak stays. 430yds. 1.25" round wire rope, (iron). Loading wagon and bowk. Two single deck cages. Two water rings, wrought iron cistern. winch with drum 36" x 6' long.

ENGINE WINDING.

in enginehouse. Pair of horizontal, H.P., winding engines, 28" dia. cylinders x 5' stroke, by J. Warner & Co, Winding drum 17' dia.

BOILERS.

Five, Cylindrical with spherical ends. 54' x 5' 6" x 7/16". Self contained steam pump, 2 x 8"dia cylinders x 17" stroke, 36" flywheel, working two 5" ram pumps. Boilerhouse chimney 120'.

CAPSTAN ENGINE

in enginehouse Pair of H.P. horizontal engines, 14" dia cyl. x 22" stroke , on cast bed plate 10' 6" x 4' 9" with two 6' 3" drum rings, with 40" cast drums 6' long. 440yds. 3" hemp rope.

PUMPING ENGINE

in enginehouse. Direct action vertical pumping engine, 54" cyl. x 8' stroke, fixed direct over the shaft on cast iron girders. Balance beam 28' with balance blocks etc.

PUMPS.

TOP LIFT.

40 yds. 14" dia. x 1 3/8"

40 yds. 14" dia. x 1 1/4"

MIDDLE LIFT.

40 yds. 14" dia. x 1 3/8"

40 yds. 14" dia. x 1 1/4"

44 yds. 14" dia. x 1"

BOTTOM LIFT.

45 yds. 14" dia. x 1 1/4"

80 yds. 14" dia. x 1"

PUMP RODS.
440' of 14" pitch pine pump rods.
440' of 12" pitch pine pump rods.
Railways, 820 yards of permanent way. Ventilation was by a De Bay ventilator.

CHESTERTON FORGE.
(Chesterton Mining Co. )

The Chesterton ironworks was situated at O.S. 495 828 app. on the site now occupied by the Downing / Steetly / Redland brickworks. The land was bought by Edward Copson Peake from Jane Stanway and William and John Gilbert in January 1872 and was paid for in three installments between October 1872 and 1874.The enterprise, a forge, was called the Chesterton Company Limited and between 1872 and 1876 two mortgages of £2000 and £9840 were raised and a supplemental lease from J.H.E. Heathcote in April 1873.

In 1876 agreement was reached with the partners of the Chesterton Mining Company, ( formed about 1860 by Samuel Dale, Henry Sherratt, George Barker and Charles Cope ) to merge the two companies. The new company was formed in February 1877.

On the 1st. August 1879 the colliery and ironworks were mortgaged for £25000, it seems the company became more indebted to the bank (Lloyds ), which when the opportunity arose in March 1889 foreclosed on the mortgage and sold the company to the fledgling Midland Coal and Iron Company on the 24th. January 1890. Chesterton forge was closed but the Forge pit was retained by the Midland Company as a source of ironstone until it’s demise in 1930.

THE PARTRIDGE NEST IRONWORKS O.S. 499 821 app.

Sir John Edensor Heathcote’s Chesterton estate consisted of part of the waste at Red Street and included the Patridge Nest, Robin Hood, Waterhays and Glasshouse farms.

Shortly before 1790 Heathcote formed a partnership with Thomas Kinnersley to build an ironworks on Partridge Nest farm and in 1790 they ordered a blowing engine from Boulton and Watt for the works, the engine house and furnace still stand. The site was self sufficient in coal and ironstone, the pits, which predated the furnace were drained by a gutter, probably to Gresley’s canal.
The furnace was not profitable and was closed by the partners after about ten years. An attempt was made to sell it as a going concern in 1801 but there was no takers. A description of the works is given in the sale advertisement.

Staffordshire.

Capital Ironworks with Extraordinary Advantages. To be sold by Private Treaty.

The Chesterton and Partridge Nest works, situated within three miles of Newcastle under Lyme, in the County of Stafford, and adjoining to the North road from London to Liverpool, with the valuable Estates and Interests thereunto attached.

The works consist in their present state, of a large fire engine, Furnace, Casting Houses, Warehouses, sundry workmens houses and other appropriate buildings. Also a sett of potworks, all fit for immediate employ, and capable of being carried on to almost any extent as the mines of ironstone and coal are commensurately adequate to a large consumption for a great number of years.

The estates ( comprehending various freehold, copyhold and leasehold lands and premises, lying contiguous to each other ), contain in the whole upwards of 270 acres, and abound with fine beds of proved ironstone, and the various mines of coal found in that part of the country of different thicknesses, from three to ten feet, and of qualities adapted as well for the use of the ironworks and potworks, as for the Oxfordshire market, and other purposes, and a great part of which are laid dry by a gutter level already completed.

Clays of proper strength for firebricks, as well as sand are found in various parts of the estate. By means of a short railway ( for the making of which, Powers are secured in the Newcastle Junction Canal Act ), and some connecting branches, now in the course of completion. A communication will be established from the works with the Grand Trunk Canal, and consequently with almost every place of importance in the Kingdom. Taking it all together, it is an opportunity that cannot be exceeded for advantages, and those who wish to embark in the iron trade, will find it a position particularly well calculated for their purpose.

Further particulars may be known on application at the Banking House of THOMAS KINNERSLEY ESQ. In Newcastle under Lyme aforesaid, or to MR. TOMLINSON, solicitor, Hanley, in the Staffordshire potteries, and offers to treat will be attended to in the order they are received.
The works were not sold and in 1805 a clearance sale of the stock was held. The stock included firegrates, boiler firebars, cylinders, pipes, sash weights, kettles, bake plates, pestles and mortars, weights of all sizes, smoothing irons, rakes, vices and smiths tools including saws and planes.

From the variety of goods produced there must have been considerable skill in the casting house. The furnace and ironstone working was abandoned by the partners and only the coal pits were continued but these too were unprofitable and were closed by R. E. Heathcote in 1827.

Back to list of Pit Names