COLLIERIES OF THE NORTH STAFFS COALFIELD (D)

All National Grid references shown thus G.R.999666

DALES GREEN 561 853 and 560 855
Cat Ab Mine 1929
Dales Green – 4919, parish Newchapel, coal: Crabtree, Biddulph Moor, 4 feet, abandoned 17 March 1906 6SE 1926. B 10.11.
Dales Green Co Ltd, 12 Price Street, Burslem Staffs.
Dales Green No 2 Coal: 8 ft. Banbury, 3 underground 0 aboveground, Manager A Birchall
Dales Green No 3 Coal: 7 ft. Banbury, 2 underground 0 aboveground, Manager A Birchall (Bank Colliery formerly Dales Green No 2 Bank, Mow Cop.)
Dales green, Whitehills Colliery, 1949. ( Footrail ? )

DEEP PIT 483 885 app. O.D. 580’ (Second deep pit for Shelton Co.)
Part of Shelton Collieries Ltd (which see.) Sunk by Earl Granville & Co in 1854.
1896 Deep. Shelton Iron, Steel and Coal Co. Manager J J Prest, Undermanager Edward Thomson, underground 502 aboveground 133.
Closed for coal winding May 1962, but used for man riding for sometime. Man killed by a gas explosion when the shafts were being filled for Hanley Forest Park.

DEEP OLD; PEARTREE AND ROWHURST
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929
Ironstone New Mine 1858-1874 Shelton Co (See)

DEEP (NOT SHELTON)
Berry Hill
1896 Henry Warrington and Son. Manager Timon Barker, Under Manager Frederick Williams, underground 250, above ground 59. Coal: Yard; Moss.

DELPH HOUSE. (Cheadle)
First reference found NSI Mine Eng’s, Enoch Hill Delph House Colliery, Cheadle, Staffs.
Delphhouse, Sir Lionel Pilkington, 1882.
1896 Draycott Colliery Co, Manager Stephan Offer, Undermanager George Wright, underground 18, aboveground 31.
(circa 1903 closed, manager W Lockett?)
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929
Delph House, parish: Cheadle, coal: four feet, abandoned 1874, plans held Park Hall Colliery Co.
19SW 1925. C 9.
Delph House, parish: Cheadle, Dilhorne, coal: Yard, abandoned 1861, plans held Berry Hill Colliery Co.
1880 Delph House Cheadle, Sir Lionel Pilkington.

DELPH HOUSE & HARPLOW NO’S 2, 3; WONDER
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929
Parish: Cheadle; Dilhorne; Forsbrook. Coal: Yard; Littley; Halfyard; Dilhorne 1861 Plans held: J Tonge, 17 Silverwell Street Bolton, Lancs.
19SW 1925. B 6.7.8. C 6.7.8.9. D 6.7.8.9. E 8.9.10.

DELPH
Messrs Rhodes & Dumbhill, Halmerend; Stoke-on-Trent
Delph Halmerend, Coal: 10 foot (manufacturing) 4 underground, 2 aboveground.
Delph No3 Halmerend, Coal: 10 foot (household) 5 underground, 2 aboveground.

DIGLAKE AUDLEY
(See Audley Section.)
1733 Richard Parrot wrote – “At Diglake the Parkers had considerable Cole workes”.
In 1818, the first Diglake Colliery shafts were sunk on Diglake Farm, approximately 513 814 by Robert Rigby for the landowner Sir Thomas Fletcher Boughey. The pits were drained by a gutter which drained to 514 811 approx. During the 1820’s a steam pump was installed which pumped to the gutter level.
The coals worked were the 10 foot, the top two row and the hams. The colliery lasted until the coming of the North Staffs railway. As it had no rail connection it became uneconomic to work and was abandoned in 1854.
With the advent of the NSR Silverdale Alsager branch line completed in July 1870, the picture changed again and Rigby’s, by now William Rigby & Co, sunk the second Diglake Colliery. (See Audley section.)

DIGLAKE
A footrail, deliveries 1954.

DIGLAKE OPENCAST
NCB Opencast Executive, Diglake Opencast, Audley Screens, Bignall End.

DIAMOND
(See Clanway Colliery.)

DILHORNE
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929
Dilhorne Common – 779, parish: Forsbrook, coal: Four Feet, abandoned 29 September 1877.
19SW 1925. C 5. D 5.
Dilhorne District, parish: Dilhorne; Forsbrook, Coal: Yard; Littley, plans held: Park Hall Colliery Co.
19SW 1925. C 5.6. D 5.6.
1869 Joseph Salt & Co; 1880 Joseph Salt & Co

DILHORNE OPENCAST
Deliveries 1960.

DIVIDY LANE
454 921 APP ( DOWNFIELD )
Shown on the original O.S. map one at Downfield and also another at Downfieldside..
John Ward circa 1838, Ball Green Colliery, Charles Hales owner.
Downfield on the road from Leek Road to Ford Green 507 898 app.
Downfield side of the road from Leek Road to Norton near the Cauldon Canal 506 897 app.
White’s Directory 1834. Charles Hales coalowner, Downfield.
Slater’s Directory 1851. Downfield, Norton Park and Ford Green. Charles Hales.

DRAYCOTT
413 989 app. Cheadle
1896 Draycott, Cheadle, Draycott Colliery Co, Manager Stephen Offer. STANDING.
(Colliery thought to have been at Draycott Cross?) See Draycott Cross.

DRESDEN
473 891 app. 1878 6” O.S.
Shown on the large scale O.S. of Hanley. Near the Cauldon Canal, east of the Eagle Pottery. Shown in conjunction with a brickfield and brickworks. (Perhaps working circa 1880.)

DUKE’S FARM
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929
Duke’s Farm – 3751, Parish: Newchapel, Coal: 4 foot, abandoned 21 November 1897. 6SE 1921. B 4.5. C 4.5. D 4.
1896, Duke Farm, Tunstall. Benjamin Holland, Heathcote Street, Kidsgrove, underground 16, aboveground 5, Coal: Little Row Coal.

DUMBHILL
Footrail Rhode’s Deliveries 1949

DINGLE PITS
1905 Geological Survey, Short distance to the north of Madely Heath marl Pit. The cannel row at 83 yards.

DALE HALL COLLIERY BURSLEM
(Ironstone Pit.)
N.S.I.M.M. Eng’s
G Hollins, Dale Hall Colliery, Burslem, elected 1872.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929
Dale Hall, Parish: Stoke-on-Trent, ironstone: Red Mine, Red Shagg and Blackband, abandoned 25 March 1874.
11SE 1926. A 12.
12NW 1925. H 1.
12SW 1926. A 1.

DRUMMER MONKEY
See Brownhills

DUNNINGS
See Silverdale

DODGING
See Silverdale

DOGCROFT
Old Colliery 1878 6” O.S. at 519 882 app

DRAYCOTT CROSS
Cheadle 1869 John Keys.

DRESDEN COLLIERY
Hanley, Just west of Ivy House colliery. 1890 6 inch O.S.

Back to list of Pit Names