Fair Lady and Bang Up shafts at Leycett supposedly named after famous stage coaches.
FENTON PARK COMPANY 454 905 app.
John Aynsley came to the potteries in the late 18th century from Northumberland and became the first chairman of the Fenton Park Company. By the end of the eighteenth century this colliery was already well established with a Boulton and Watt steam engine.
A second engine was purchased in 1802/3 for £1476-8-0. About this time several of the more successful and wealthy potters decided to buy into the colliery business and ensure a supply of good coal. Josiah Spode II (1755 1827) bought into the Fenton Park Colliery Company about the year 1802 and paid the outstanding debts.
White’s Directory 1834.
Fenton Park Company, William Baker actuary.
Simeon Shaw c.a. 1828:- ---“ Fenton Park, where is a colliery of great magnitude and value; in one part of which is a steam engine of about sixty horses power, on the best principles and adapted to work four lifts of pumps to raise water from the mines.”
John Ward c.a. 1838:- ---“ Fenton Park a large colliery worked for many years by the neighbouring potters as the Fenton Park Co., now in the hands of W.T. Copeland and others.
( W.T. Copeland 1797 1868 acquired assets from Spode trustees.)
1839 much use was made of underground boilers and steam engines .Coal was being hauled mechanically up five inclines one of them in 1839 was four hundred yards long.
c.a. 1840 Fenton Park Co. and Oldfield Colliery Co. are now in the hands of Charles Smith Esqre.
1842 Chartist Riots ---“At Mr Smith’s colliery at Longton Mr. Burgess the agent was kicked and much abused. In one of the pits three men were ducked in the engine pool.”
George Stevenson, Fenton Park Colliery elected 1874.
Mr. Murrow, Agent Fenton Park Colliery elected c.a.1875.
1869 Fenton Park Coal and Iron Co.
1880 Fenton Park Colliery Co.
O.S. 6” 1877 Tramway from Glover’s Farm Colliery, Victoria and Fenton Park collieries via old sites to a wharf just north west of a junction of Victoria Road and King Street Fenton. 447 894 app.
Cat. Ab. Mine Plans 1929.
Fenton Park. Psh. S-on-T. coal and ironstone, Chalkey, Deepmine, 1866. Ragmine, 1864. Plans Berry Hill Colliery Co.
Fenton Park coal, Yard; Birches, 1869. Ironstone Knowles; Chalkey, 1864
Fenton Park Mossfield. Psh. S-on-T. coal, Yard, Moss, 1879 Birches, 1867. Ironstone Knowles, 1867. Plans Berry Hill Colliery Co Ltd.
Fenton Park Estate. Psh. S-on-T. Coal, Mossfield, Knowles, Ash, Deepmine, Spencroft.1837.
18NW 1925. C 11. D 10.11.12. E 188.8.131.52. F 9.10.11
1896 Florence Coal and Iron Co Ltd., Longton. Manager G.A.Mitcheson undermanager L. Holliday. Underground 23 aboveground 23 SINKING.
( One of the Duke of Sutherland’s pits, named after Lady Florence Leveson Gower.)
1905 Geological Survey.
Numbers one and two shafts Longton, manager G.A. Mitrcheson. O.D.520’. The shafts of this colliery have been carried to a depth of 891 yards, being the deepest in the district.
The colliery became a subsidiary of Shelton Iron Steel and Coal Co. until vested in the N.C.B.
Florence Coal and Iron Co. Ltd. Directors. Col. W.S. Williamson, The Grange, Hednesford, Staffs. B.A. Prowse, The Holts, Ashley Road, Epsom. Viscount Chaplin, 9 Hill St., Berkeley Square, London. Secretary G.A. Green. Manager R.J. Cunliffe. 906 underground, 305 aboveground. Coal:- Yard, Main.
THE FALLS COLLIERY 575 877 app
( see Moody Street Colliery)
The Falls a small group of buildings on the O.S. to the south west of Gillow Heath at 584 877 app
A Falls colliery was worked before 1808 by H.H. Williamson, in 1808 a 31 year lease was obtained by Williamson from Edward Mainwaring. This was necessary for the construction of a tramway to Congleton Edge for use by the Congleton Coal Company. Possibly the original colliery was at 575 877 and connected to the Towerhill and Stonetrough tramway of the Williamsons.
White’s Directory of 1834 lists the colliery as owned by H. Henshall Williamson (1785 1867). A description of 1847 gives four shafts on the western Rearers working the Cockshead, Bullhurst and 7 foot Banbury. Two shafts near the site of Biddulph station worked the Bullhurst and Winpenny. In 1848 it was stated to be a “model” colliery. One engine wound from three pits at this time thought to be a technical achievement.
White’s Directory of 1851 makes no mention of the Falls so it may well have been worked out by this time.
Cat Ab. Mine Plans 1929.
FALLS. Psh. Biddulph, coal; Bullhurst, Winpenny, Newpool,Froggery.1847.
Plans held by Robt. Heath.
C.R. Hall Moody Street Colliery.
7NW 1900. C 4.5. D 184.108.40.206. E 3.4.5. F 3.4.
OTHER FALLS COLLIERIES
There have been several colliery enterprises to the west of the railway between Gillow Heath and Newpool.
1905 Geological survey -- West of Holly Lane Farm a footrail managed by Mr. T. C. Cottrell worked the 7 foot Banbury or Froggery and the Ragman ironstone. Also at the Falls colliery and adjoining Moody Street Colliery the 7 foot Banbury is worked by an adit.
1900 FALLS T. Brammer and Co. Biddulph , S-on-T
Cat. Ab. Mine Plans 1929.
FALLS 4597 psh Biddulph coal , 7 foot Banbury, Iron mine, Whitehurst Row. Aug.1903.
(Another Falls colliery is connected with the Biddulph Mining and Pottery Co.) FALLS psh. Biddulph, coal, Little 1911, Winpenny 1911, Whitehurst Row 1907, Bullhurst 1907, 7 foot Banbury, Little, Bright row 1903, Iron mine 1905. Plans held by the Biddulph Mining and Pottery Co.
FALLS psh. Biddulph, coal, Bullhurst, Newpool and Froggery. Plans held by the Biddulph Mining and Pottery Co.
7NW 1900.D 4.5.
7NW 1900. C 5. D 4.5. E 3.4.5. F 3.4.5
FORD GREEN COLLIERY
Slater’s Directory 1851. Ford Green Colliery, Norton. Charles Hales.
Robt. Heath and Sons.
1905 Geological survey. New pit Ford Green. O.D. 492.1feet. 377 yards to the Cockshead. Manager J.H. Cole.
(In the Bellington Lane pits, Ford Green, the Bullhurst is 7 feet thick at 482 yards.)
FORGE PITS, CHESTERTON 496 827 app.
(see Chesterton Collieries.)
Sunk c.a. 1850/6 closed 30 April 1930.
447 977 app. Two miles north north west of Cheadle.
1896 Foxfield Colliery Co., Dilhorne. Manager B. Parker, undermanager Henry Parker. 143 underground, 44 aboveground. Coal worked, Woodhead.
1905 geological Survey.
Manager A. Fisher. Two shafts, 245 and 335 yards sunk about 1880.
Railway to junction with the N.S.R. at Blythe Bridge 1893.
14 10 1918 control obtained by Park Hall Colliery Co.
1908 manager John Stevenson undermanager G.H. Pointon, 284 u/g, 67 a/g.
1918 manager John Stevenson undermanager Geo. Worthington, 145 u/g, 53 a/g.
1945 manager P. Brown undermanager A. Moores, 384 u/g, 178 a/g.
Closed by the N.C.B. August 1965.
(See Berry Hill.)
White’s Directory 1851 Samuel Taylor, coalmaster, Foxholes (Talke)
Foxholes Colliery Talke. Poole Bros. Manager T.E.Poole. 5 u/g, 2a/g.
Coal worked Two Row.
Foxholes footrail deliveries 1952.
1896 Henry Johnson, Ipstones. 2 u/g, 1 a/g. Fireclay.
Cat Ab. Mine Plans 1929.
Foxt 6532 psh. Ipstones. Coal, Sweet abandoned 23 Nov 1915 13SE 1925.E 5. F 5.
FOLEY COLLIERY Longton.
Probably between Swingle Hill and Oldfield Colliery. Old colliery perhaps taking its name from the Foley family of ironmasters.
George Mitcheson c.a. 1795 – 1850 who was born at Long Benton, Northumberland worked with George Stevenson at Killingworth colliery. It was Stephenson himself who recommended Mitcheson as agent to the Lane End ironworks and Foley colliery about 1828.
One of Mitcheson’s sons William Summersides Mitcheson followed his father as agent at Lane End and Foley until 1851. In that year his brother George John Mitcheson, who was already a colliery manager, succeeded him as agent for the Foley colliery company.
About 1860 G. J. Mitcheson again followed his brother as the manager of W.H. Sparrow’s mines and ironworks at Lane End and continued until Sparrow sold out to Thomas Goddard and Son in 1867. G.J.M. then became the manager of Meir Hay colliery until his death in 1880.
. 1869 Foley Colliery Goddard and Sons.
1880 Foley Colliery Goddard and Sons.
1905 Geological Survey.
“ It was first discovered (a fossil ) by the present writer in 1863 during the sinking of a shaft at the Foley colliery, Longton.” “ Under the name of the Little Mine ironstone, this bed, ( the Burnwood ), was formerly worked at the Foley colliery.”
Cat Ab. Mine Plans 1929.
Foley 117 coal and ironstone Deep mine abandoned prior to July 1874.
“ 532 “ “ New mine “
May 1876. “ 1004 “ “ Cannel Row “
May 1878. “ 11954 “ Cannel Row “
Oct 1886. “ “ “ Chalkey “
1876. Foley and Oldfield 1434 coal, Little mine, Ash, abandoned prior to September 1882.
Foley and Oldfield, coal and ironstone. Great Row ; Little Mine; New Mine; Chalkey; Knowles; Bassey; Hanbury; Cannel Row; Ash;
Deep Mine. Abandoned 1867 - 1876.
Foley Ash coal, Cannel Row 1886. (see Botteslow.)
FOLEY AND OLDFIELD
18NW 1925. F 9.10.11.g 220.127.116.11.12. H 18.104.22.168.12.
18SW 1925. A 9.10.11. B 22.214.171.124.
18SE 1925. B 1. C 1.
A big footrail near to Apedale ironworks sunk by the Midland Coal and Iron Company in 1914 and closed in 1930. Inundation in 1921 caused by water from the abandoned Lily pit workings. Cyril Darlington who worked at the furnaces at the time and later at New Hem Heath remembered the incident. He recalled Two Tilstones, Ben Russell, John Thompson, Cornwall and the overman Ernest Thornton as lost. Charles Davies, the manager, lost his certificate.
1905 Geological Survey. “ Shafts at the Ford Hayes Colliery, close to the stream, struck the Bullhurst at 40 to 50 yards. A shaft 100 yards to the south struck it at 95 and a half yards. “ --- Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929. Ford Hayes, psh. S-on-T, coal. 18NE 1925. Probably B 4.
( See Ashwood colliery.)
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
FROGHALL 2857 psh. Ipstones, Kingsley. Ironstone hydrate abandoned Dec. 1892.
FROGHALL BOOTHSWOOD 6369 psh. Ipstones. Coal Crabtree abandoned Sept 1914.
FROGHALL DISTRICT psh. Ipstones. Ironstone New or Red abandoned 1872.
Park Hall colliery co. Cheadle.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929. No minerals worked abandoned 1927. ( New sinking abandoned ?)
White’s Directory 1851. Furlong colliery Robert ( Richard ? ) Heathcote. 1869 Reps. Joshua Heath. 1880 William Adams.
Len Maddocks who worked for many years at the Rookery maintained that the Diglake inundation was caused by the water from this colliery. During the 1930’s Amos Daniels was the manager of the Rookery colliery and he was very interested in the old workings in the area, Len Maddocks sometimes accompanied him on his explorations.
Mr. Daniels took him to the bottom of what he called the Foxglove colliery shafts. Len described these as only shallow about 90 yards and not bricked, but “ in the Metals “, just bricked around at the top.
As a result of the long time they had stood flooded everything was covered in carr. Len described it as half an inch thick and you could wipe it off with a finger just like margarine.
It is possible that these were the shafts of the first Diglake colliery sunk by Robert Rigby and abandoned in 1852/3, when they filled with water.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929
Fenton psh. S-onT, Coal, Spencroft 1856.
Fenton psh. S-on-T, Coal and Ironstone; Bassey mine, Peacock, Spencroft, great row, Cannel row, Deep mine, Knowles, abandoned 1861
18NW 1925. F 8.9. G 8.9.
GREAT FENTON COLLIERY.
STAFFORD COAL AND IRON COMPANY.
Thomas Nicholls Great Fenton, S-on-T. elected 1874
John Pender M.P. 18 Arlington Street, London elected 1874.
In the mid 1870’s, at a time of depression in the iron trade C.J.H. Homer resigned from the board of the Chatterley Iron company and together with the Duke of Sutherland ( the landowner ) and John Bourne and John Pender M.P. formed the Stafford Coal and Iron Company.
Shafts. Kemball, Bourne, Pender,where ironstone was mined
The two other shafts were the Homer and the Sutherland vertical winding engines installed by Homer.
Hem Heath sunk 1929.
Homer died in 1893 aged 56. By 1902 Joel Settle was buying bulk supplies of coal from the Stafford company for his Jamage washer and coking plant. Stafford Coal and Iron Co Ltd. Was acquired by Settle Speakman in 1934. The ironworks was closed and sold as scrap to T.W. Ward in 1935.
The colliery was closed by the N.C.B. in April 1969.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Fenton Great – 3396 coal and ironstone little mine abandoned Dec.1895
Fenton Great - 4742 coal, Peacock, Knowles, Moss, little mine, ironstone, little mine abandoned 1904.
Fenton Great Homer 3068 Ironstone, Knowles abandoned 20 3 1894.
18NW 1925. H 4.5.6.
18SW 1925. A 4.5.6. B 5.6.
THE FLATTS 520 891 app.
(see Pinfold colliery.).
1869 Earl Granville.
Coal; Bullhurst, Winpenny Ab. April 1913. Bullhurst, Winpenny Ab. Sept 1918.
7NW 1900. H 1.
Back to list of Pit Names