COLLIERIES OF THE NORTH STAFFS COALFIELD (G)

All National Grid references shown thus G.R.999666

GLASSHOUSE COLLIERY.
Sites at G.R.827 502, 826 505, 827 508. app.
See Chesterton collieries.
Coal; Great Row
Ironstone; Red Mine, Red Shag, seam unnamed. Ab 1865-67.
11NE 1925. H 3.4.
11SE 1926. A 3.4. B 3.4.
Blackband, Red Shag Ab. 20th May 1922.
11NE 1925. H 4.
11SE 1926. A 4. B 4.

GLEBE COLLIERY. G.R. 893 445 app.
Possibly took its name from Stoke church glebe lands. ( Those lands provided to a clergyman for his benefice.)
Thomas Goddard c.a.1791 1872, was educated as a doctor, and set up in practise in Longton in 1814..
He acquired an interest in a potbank and also an ironworks and colliery. (Glebe.)
John Hackett Goddard, his son, was also a potter, (Goddard and Burgess, Longton). He inherited Glebe colliery and ironworks from his father. J.H. Goddard had five sons and despite heavy losses in the collapse of the iron trade he still left £100,000 to be divided equally between his sons in 1883.
1880 Glebe Colliery, John Challinor and Co.
N.S.I.M.M.E. 1890
Mr. Charles Challinor, coalmaster, Glebe colliery, Fenton.
Charles Challinor 1829 1893 was born in Leek and was a successful industrialist. His Pinnox works at Tunstall employed 3000 people.He was however killed in an accident with a steam engine at Glebe colliery on the 13th of February 1893.
1869 Glebe Colliery Challinor and Co.
"1896"Glebe Colliery , John Challinor and Co. Ltd. Manager Thomas Ashworth Junior, 174 u/g, 87 a/g,
Coal, Peacock, Spencroft, Mossfield, Yard, Great Row.
1900 Glebe Colliery, J. Heath and Co.
1905 Geological Survey, Number 3 shaft 592 yards. O.D. 480 feet. Manager J Ashworth.
Glebe Colliery John Heath and Co. Man. Alan S. Heath. U/man H. Ball. 369 u/g, 99 a/g.
"1919"Glebe Colliery, Fenton Collieries Ltd. Man Thos. Yates. U/man Thos. Foster 879 u/g, 262 a/g.
1945 Man P. Cashmore, U/man P.W. Johnson. 490 u/g 244a/g.
18NW 1925. C 12. D 11. 12. E 12.
18NE 1925. D 1. E 1.

GOLDENHILL COLLIERY. (Tunstall.)
In March 1760 James Brindley partnered his brother John, Thomas Gilbert and Hugh Henshall in the purchase of the Turnhurst estate from Sir Nigel Gresley. Of particular interest to them were the Goldenhill collieries thereon. A quarter share cost Brindley £543- 6-8. To which sum John Gilbert contributed £109-5-0. for a part share.

GOLDENHILL. (WILLIAMSONS) G.R. 858 531. app.
White’s Directory 1831
Robert Williamson , Coalmaster, Goldenhill
John Henry Clive Coalmaster, Goldenhill. ( Clanway.)
White’s Directory 1851
Ditto as above.
James Brindley’s widow married Robert Williamson Senior and her two sons Robert II and Hugh Henshall inherited Brindley’s property. The Goldenhill collieries were connected by tramway to the Goldendale ironworks of the Williamson Brothers. A great many pits were sunk by the Williamsons in the area between Latebrook, Ravenscliffe and Chatterley. By the time the N.S.R. was planned and built they were aware of the potential of subsidence damage to railway structures so the railway company bought out the mining rights in the areas surrounding the Harecastle tunnels.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Goldenhill or Ranscliffe.
Coal, Great Row, Little Row, Ten foot, Spencroft. Ironstone , Cannel Mine, Brown Mine, abandoned 1847. Plans held engineer’s office L.M.S. Crewe.
Goldenhill or Ranscliffe Numbers 18, 19, 20, 21, 22.
Coal, Rough 7 foot, Ten foot, Four foot, Great row, 7 foot Banbury, Little row.
Ironstone, Cannel mine, New mine, Winghey, Brown mine, blackstone. Abandoned about 1847.
Plans held engineer’s office, L.M.S. Crewe.
Goldenhill (Williamsons) Hodgefield Number 3, 9305
Numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9., 10, 11, 14, 16, 17, 19.
Coal, Great row, abandoned about 1831.
Ten feet, Spencroft, abandoned about 1840.
Ironstone, Top cannel abandoned 1856.

N.S.I.M.M.E.
Thomas Hancock, Goldenhill Colliery, Tunstall. Elected 1872.

GOLDENHILL COLLIERY.
Slater’s Directory 1851.
Goldenhill .
Obadiah Booth.

GREENGATE COLLIERY. G.R. 865 515 app.
1869 H. Meir.
Old colliery shown on the 1878 O.S. 6 inch near Greengate , Tunstall.

GOLDENHILL.( FENTON ). G.R. 909 442 app.
The colliery was owned by John Smith until his death in 1840.
William Summersides Mitcheson was a partner of John Hackett Goddard at Goldenhill Colliery from 1854 to 1858. "1869"Goddard and Sons. "1880"Thomas Goddard and sons, Goldenhill Foley and Oldfield collieries and Lane End ironworks.
John Ward F.G.S. 1837 1906 became a clerk at J.H. Goddard;s Goldenhill colliery.

GLOVERS FARM. ( Part of Fenton Park Collieries.)
Farm at G.R. 908 455 Colliery G.R. 909 454 app.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Psh. S-on-T, Coal Mossfield, abandoned 1868.
18NW 1925. C 12. D 11.12. E 12.
18NE 1925. D 1. E 1.

GREEN LANE. ( See Kidsgrove section.)

GORSTY.
( See Apedale and Podmore section.) 1896 Stanier and Co. Standing.

GORSTY BANK. ( See Apedale and Podmore section.)
Halfr Yards, Red Shag, Red Mine. Ab. 4th March 1893.
11SE 1926. G 2.3. H 2.3.

GAINSMORE. (See Hulme. )
1880J and C Waine. 1896 Hulme colliery Company Ltd., Longton, Staffs. Coal, Standing.

GRANGE COLLIERY. G.R. 869 498, 869 487, 871 489. app.
The colliery was sunk about the year 1860 on the slope between Cobridge and the Trent and Mersey canal it was worked for many years by Robert Heath and Sons as an ironstone mine for the Bassey mine stone. The stone was calcined on the pit bank and then taken to Ford Green Furnaces. A tramway from the colliery to the N.S.R. Grange branch opened in the late 1860,s.
N.S.I.M.M.E.
Thomas Chadwick Grange Colliery elected 1874.
Henry Doorbar Grange Colliery elected 1874.
1896 Robt. Heath and Sons.Manager Thomas Roberts undermanager Henry Whitehurst Bassey Mine pit, Grange Colliery, Cobridge. O.D. 450 feet
233 yards to the Peacock coal.
Pumping pit, Grange Colliery.
1910 King Edward pump, Grange Colliery and Brickworks, four and a half strokes a minute, 158 tons per hour.
Heaths abandoned the colliery in the early 1920;s but the Shelton Company used the shafts as drainage pits for the Racecourse colliery and installed a very slow electric winder.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Grange 2721 Coal and Ironstone, Half yards, Red Shag, Red Mine. Abandoned Dec. 1891.
; 6058 Ironstone, Half Yards “ 14 1 1913.
; 6378 Red Shag 2 5 1914.
6379 Red Mine 2 5 1914.
6831 Coal and Ironstone Peacock “ 21 1 1918.
Grange and Sandbach.
Ironstone, Bassey Mine and probably Half Yards abandoned 1917.
Robt. Heath and Lowmoor.
12 SW 1926. B 2.3. C 1.2.3. D 1.2.3. E 1.2.3.

GREENFIELD. ( Tunstall.)
( Greenfield Hall site now Beresfords Transport.)
Simeon Shaw 1828 Greenfield or Smithfield, this was late the property of Jesse Breeze Esquire whose daughters have it in possession; but neither the colliery nor the manufactuary as at this time are in operation.”---
So, presumably Jesse Breeze, when alive was working the colliery.
Jane Breeze married William Adams in 1827 bringing Greenfield Hall, the pottery and presumably the colliery into his possession. John Ward 1838 says that the Greenfield colliery was owned by W and E. Adams and White’s Directory of 1851 lists William Adams as the owner.
In 1853 William Adams separated from his brothers at Stoke and occupied himself exclusively with the potteries at Greenfield and some neighbouring collieries. In 1858 he bought Newfield Hall from Smith Child. After he died in 1865 the pits were taken over by his son Thomas Adams
Slater’s Directory 1851.
Greenfield, Tunstall.
William and Edward Adams.
1880 William Adams.
11NE 1925. C 12.
12NW 1925. C 1. D 1.

GREENFIELDS.
1880 Chatterley Iron Co.

GREENFIELD.
1869 Talke Coal Co.

GOLDENDALE COLLIERY.
Tunstall.
Numbers 18 and 20 pits.

GIBBONS BANK.
Kidsgrove.
Coal; 8 ft. Banbury. Ab. Sept 1902.
6SE 1926. E 8.9.

GILL BANK
Kidsgrove, S on T.
Coal; Top Two Row, Bottom Two Row, Winghay or 8 ft. Ab. Dec 1895.
6SE 1926. G 9. H 8.9.
11NE 1925. A 8.9.

GILMOOR.
Ipstones.
Coal; Crabtree, Sweet. Ab. 30th Aug 1928.
13SE 1925. E 4.5. F 4.5.

GOOD HOPE.
S on T.
Coal.
12NW 1925 C 2.

GRANGE Nos. 1 2 3.
Audley.
Coal; Five ft. Ragman, Rough 7 ft. Ab. 31st Jan 1928.
11NW 1900 H 10.11.

GROVE. ( Silverdale. )
Silverdale.
Ironstone. Blackband, Red Shag, Red Mine. Ab. Jan. 1893.
11SE 1926.G 2.3.4.5. H 2.3.4.5.
17NE 1926 A 3.4.

GOLDENDALE NO 3. S on T.
Coal and ironstone. Red Mine Bass. Ab. March 1923.
11NE 1925. B 9.10.

GREASLEY SIDE. S on T
Coal; Winpenny. Ab. 12th March 1913.
12SW 1926. D 12.

Back to list of Pit Names