KENTS LANE. (See Silverdale.)
1896 Kents Lane 14 ; 15 ; 16 ; 17.
Manager J.C. Cadman, undermanager Levi Moulton.
14 & 15.
62 u/g, 16 a/g.
Coal and ironstone, Great Row, Cannel Mine, Brown Mine , Chalkey Mine.
16 & 17.
122 u/g, 43 a/g.
Ironstone Red Shag, Red Mine.
KIDSWOOD. (See Kidsgrove section.)
Sunk about 1837 by Robert Heath for Kinnersleys. ?
KEMBALL. (See Stafford Coal and Iron Co. )
1896 Kemball. Stafford Coal and iron Co. Ltd.
Manager William Barber undermanager F.M. Barnes.
145 u/g, 66 a/g.
Coal and ironstone, Bassey Mine.
KIDSGROVE AND WHITEHILL. (See Kidsgrove section.)
KNUTTON FARM COLLIERY. THE MERRY MICK.G.R. 829 467. app.
Keate's Gazeteer and directory of the Potteries and Newcastle 1875/6.
Knutton Farm Mining Co. Viggars, Tatton and others, proprietors.
Ralph Tatton Colliery Proprietor, High Street Knutton.
John Street Jabez Viggars; Downing Street, Knutton.
Benjamin Viggars Junior manager.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Knutton Farm, Psh. Silverdale.
Coal and ironstone, Blackband, Red Shag, Red Mine.
Abandoned 4 August 1877.
11 S.E. 1926 H 4. 5. 17 N.E. 1926 A 4. 5.
KNUTTON MANOR COLLIERY. G.R. 835 464. app.
1896 Knutton Manor Mining Co. Ltd.
Manager Thomas Bull
107 u/g, 51 a/g.
Ironstone, Blackband, Red Shag, Red Mine.
1929 Red Mine, Red Shag, Blackband, abandoned 14th. Feb 1925.
17 N.E. 1926 A 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. B 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. C 2. 3. 4.
KNUTTON SCHOOLGROUND COLLERY. G.R. 823 474-7 app. (See Knutton section.)
Coal ironstone and bricks. W.F. Gordon leased from The Orme charity.
C.A.M.P. 1929, abandoned prior to September 1875.
11 S.E. 1926 F 2. 3. G 2. 3. H 3.
GORSTY COLLIERY. G.R. 821 472. app.
No. 1. Winding shaft. 7 ft. x 146 yds.
No. 2. Winding shaft. 7 ft. x 146 yds.
Two pitch pine frames 29 ft. high with 9 ft. round rope pulleys.
Two 1.25 inch round wire ropes 200 yds. each.
Two wind pegs with wood drums.
3.75 inch hemp rope x 100 yds. long.
4.5 inch hemp rope x 200 yds. ( much worn. )
Horizontal high pressure winding engine, 24 inch cylinder x 4 ft. 6 inch stroke,
Lifting valves, valve gear, eccentrics on main shaft, bright finished.
12 ft. flywheel, 9 ft 4 inch brake ring, two 12 ft. drum rings.
Self contained Cameron ram pump 5 inch cylinder, 5 inch ram.
Two egg ended 35 ft. 6 inch x 5 ft. 6 inch x 7/16 with mountings, furnaces and pipes.
Wrought iron heater 6 ft 6 inch x 14 ft. x 7/16.
Octagon chimney stack 80 ft. high.
Cabin and blacksmiths shop.
The Post Office directory of 1868 lists Joseph Hickman Pearson, coal and ironstone master, Millbank and Gorsty collieries
. After Pearson Francis Stanier worked the colliery after his Apedale and Silverdale leases had expired.
The abandonment date for the Halfyards, Red shagg and Red mine is given as 4th. of March 1893. At that time the pits were being worked as Gorsty No.s 1 & 2 and managed by Mr. John Strick.
Ventilation was by furnace draught.
GORSTY BANK ( STRIP AND AT IT. ) G.R. 821 472. app.
These pits were situated on the Silverdale side of the old Blackbank road, near to the Gorsty colliery
. A small dirt tip remained and two shafts could be found ( 1976 ). A landsale yard probably existed on Blackbank road. The pits were reputedly sunk for coal not ironstone.
The first reference to this colliery would appear to be that in the Post Office Directory of 1860 which lists under Knutton, Moses Cartwright, ironstone and coalmaster, Gausty Bank colliery.
The nickname of the colliery is reputed to have arisen from the fact that it was a small colliery, run on a shoe string
and deeply unpopular with the men. When no alternative work was available the men stripped and at it on a day wage basis.
However "the strip" was also used as a nickname for the Diglake colliery before 1900.
NEW GROVE. Ironstone.
No. 18. Upcast 8 ft. x 145 yds.
Double pitch pine frame 27 ft. high with two 9 ft. flat rope pulleys.
290 yds. 5 inch x 3.5 inch pitch pine conductors.
58 oak stays 5 inch x 6 inch x 10 ft.
Cage , water barrel, signal and wire.
200 yds. of flat wire rope ( 19 cwt. )
No. 19. Drawing shaft 8 ft. x 150 yds. to the Red mine.
300 yds. pitch pine conductors.
60 oak stays 5 inch x 6 inch x 10 ft.
210 yds. flat wire rope ( 1 ton. ).
Cage, signal and wire
Used by Stanier for ventilation and winding but not after 1878. Stanier left the machinery
Butterley dismantled the same about 1894, the engine being moved to No. 17. Pit Silverdale.
No. 20. Drawing shaft 8 ft. x 180 yds. to the Red mine.
Double pitch pine frame 50 ft. high with two round rope pulleys, cast iron shoes, lever and fence to 20 & 21.
360 yds. 4.5 inch x 5 inch pitch pine conductors
72 oak stays 5 inch x 6 inch x 10 ft.
Single deck cage .
350 yds. of 1.25 inch steel wire rope.
Castings in air furnace. ( 1 ton 8 cwt. )
No. 21. Drawing shaft 8 ft. x 165 yds.
330 yds. pitch pine conductors.
66 oak stays 5 inch x 6 inch x 10 ft.
Single deck cage.
Two signals and wire
Stanier worked the Red shagg and Red mine to June 1882, Butterley worked,
Black band to Sept. 1892.
Red shagg to Sept 1892.
Red mine to Mar 1893.
Pits were stopped in March 1893, the engines were left in position.
THE OAKS COLLIERIES.
W.F. Gordon took a twenty one year lease on the Oaks on the 1st. May 1861, from the Sneyd estate.
The pits were sunk from May 1861, there were three pits but only two were numbered in Staniers system as numbers 24 and 25
Ironstone 1/3d. per ton of 2400 lbs.
Coal 8d. per ton of 2400 lbs.
Slack 4d. per ton of 2400 lbs.
Bricks 1/6d. per 1000
Royalty payments started in 1870.
Gordon sold the lease to Stanier in 1876 and he held it until 1888 when Butterley took over.<
THE OLD OAK.Ironstone.
No. 24. Winding shaft 7 ft. x 198 yds. to a crut below the Red mine.
Pitch pine frame 24 ft. high, bracings, stays and underframes, pich pine.
8 ft. pulley, cast iron shoes ( 4 cwt. ) pitch pine conductors and stays (238 ft. cube. )
Single deck cage.
1.25 inch round wire rope, 240 yds.
No. 25. Winding shaft 7 ft. x 198 yds.
Pitch pine frame 24 ft. high, bracings, stays and sills etc.
Single deck cage.
1.25 inch round wire rope, 240 yds
Horizontal, high pressure, winding engine 26 inch cylinder x 5 ft. stroke with slide valve and eccentrics working from crank pin, link motion.
By Silvester and Hopkins.
Winding Gear 10 ft. drum ring
Two egg ended 37 ft. x f ft. 6 inch x 7/16 plate
Wrought iron cistern 12 ft. 8 inches x 7 ft. x 5 ft. deep.
Boiler pump self contained steam pump 6 inch cylinder x 4 inch ram.
Pumping Shaft 8 ft. x 200 yds
Pitch pine capstan frame 24 ft. high, 9 inch capstan rope 181 yds.
12 inch x 270 yds. pump trees, working barrels, bracket and clack door, blast hole pieces, bearers, pitch pine pump rods, oak collars and stays.
Direct, double action, high pressure pumping engine. 42 inch cylinder x 6 ft. stroke. Cornish valves working from pump rod. Balance beam and weight 20 tons 17 cwt. 3 qrs.
One 36 ft 6 inches x 6 ft. x 7/16.
One 27 ft. 6 inches x 5 ft. 7/16.
With mountings, furnace castings, steam and feed pipes.
Wrought iron heater and old wagon boiler used as a heater
Old winding and pumping engine.
High pressure beam engine 22 inch cylinder x 5 ft. stroke , with hand gear, parallel motion etc.
Beam 28 ft. between centres, spring beams etc.
14 ft. 6 inch niche ring.
Egg ended 30 ft. x 6 ft. x 7/16. Steam dome, stays, furnace castings etc.
Used by Stanier for ventilation, pumping and winding. Stanier worked the Blackband, Red shagg and Red mine.
Ironstones worked until 1918/9 ?
THE NEW OAK. Ironstone.
No. 26. 8 ft. x 170 yds. sunk to the Red Mine.
No. 27. 8 ft. x 170 yds.
Used for ventilation and winding to the end of the Stanier Oak lease in 1888.
Stanier worked the Blackband, Red shagg and Red mine. The pits were dismantled by Stanier, Butterley never worked the same.
No. 26 Winding shaft 8 ft x 170 yds.
Pitch pine frame 26 ft. high with diagonal backstays.
Pitch pine 234 ft. cube, Oak 33 ft. cube.
Pulley and 220 yds. 1.25 inch wire rope, cage.
Same in all respects as No. 26.
Except 230 yds. 1.25 inch wire rope
Pair of high pressure, horizontal winding engines, 16 inch cylinder x 28 inch stroke, eccentric gear, link motion and reversing gear.
By W. Hopkins, Newcastle.
Three egg ended.
One 28 ft. 6 inch x 6 ft. x 7/16 plate.
Two 29 ft. x 5 ft. 6 inch x 7/16 plate.
Vertical steam ram pump 7 inch cylinder x 4 inch ram.
Wagon shop 62 feet long, Punching and shearing machine.
Small Smith's shop.
Self contained weighbridge capacity 7 tons.
Cat ab mine plans 1929
Blackband, Red shagg, Red mine abandoned October 1888.
Drying shed 120 feet long, steam engine with appurtenances, clay mill, cast flooring, iron rails, drying stores.
Three circular kilns, two to burn 12000 bricks each and one to burn 15000 bricks.
Sawpit, sheds, Blacksmiths shop 52 feet long.
Chimney stacks 78 feet, 80 feet and 63 feet high with engine houses.
THE MILLBANK COLLIERIES.Ironstone. G.R. 832 462 and 832 458. app.
Leased by J.H. Pearson, Harvey and Johnson from the Sneyd estate in 1864. However, in 1865 Pearson took the lease for himself, possibly the others did not have the capital needed for the venture.
The stone was burnt on the pit bank and forwarded to Pearson's South Staffs ironworks. The manager was Thomas Johnson and the big butty Joseph Wilcox who negotiated with Pearson wage rates and the price of stone at the pit bottom.
Other butties were Oliver Cotterill, Dan Johnson and William Statham.
After 1890 Butterley used the pits but only for ventilation and pumping.
Butterley left the pits in working condition as did the Shelton Company after them. The machinery was removed and the pits filled about the time of the Great War. There were at least five shafts on the sites.
OLD MILLBANK. Ironstone. ( The northenmost pits. )
!80 yds. to the Red mine.
Used for ventilation and winding but not for some years prior to 1890 when Pearson’s lease terminated. Pearson worked the Blackband, Red shagg and Red mine. The pits were not used by Butterley.
Cat ab. Mine plans 1929.
Blackband, Red shagg abandoned 1872.
Red mine abandoned 1873.
Plans held C.A. Clarke, Tipton.
NEW MILLBANK. ( PROVIDENCE PITS.) Ironstone. ( Also known as Pearson's )
7 ft. x 185 yds. to the Red mine.
Used for ventilation and winding. Pearson worked the Blackband, Red shagg and Red mine.
Blackband to March 1901.
Red shagg to March 1899.
Red mine to March 1902.
No ironstone raised after March 1902.
KNUTTON FARM COLLIERY. ( THE MERRY MICK. )G.R. 829 467. app.
The colliery was situated on Knutton farm on Oak lane.
The farm was also known as Oak farm and was the home of the Viggars family. Keates Gazateer and Directory of the Potteries and Newcastle 1875/6 lists Knutton farm Mining Co. Viggars, Tatton and others proprietors.
John Street Colliery proprietor Knutton.
Ralph Tatton ditto High Street Knutton.
Jabez Viggars ditto Downing Street Knutton Benjamin Viggars. Knutton farm. ( Managing partner. ? )
The 1905 Memoir of the Geological Survey says that on an old plan of Knutton farm colliery the seam sections are,
Blackband ironstone at 110 yds. 1 yard 0 ft. 4 inches.
Red shagg ironstone at 122 yds. 1 yard 1 ft. 0 inches.
Red mine ironstone at 144 yds. 2 yds. 0 ft. 0 inches.
All three seams were worked by the colliery, the date of abandonment is given as 4th. August 1877. This was after the winning of the Racecourse colliery which was under the same ownership and replaced Knutton Farm colliery.
KNUTTON MANOR COLLIERY. ( THE RACECOURSE. ) G.R. 825 462 app.
The colliery was known as the Racecourse as it was situated on the Newcastle racecourse, which can be seen on old maps of the area, the mine hearth stretched towards Mill Street.
George Clarke and Emmanuel Lovekin contracted to sink a pair of pits for Benjamin Viggars and Co. about the year 1870.
The pits were to be eight feet diameter by 200 yards deep.
They found it necessary to sink three pits one of them a water or pumping pit as at fifty yards water became a serious problem and remained so throughout the life of the pits.
Emmanuel Lovekin left the job to do some pit sinking for John Nash Peake and Charles Shaw, who was working at Newfields, took his place.
In 1880 the pit was in production, employing about 100 men, Charles Shaw stayed on as manager, being followed as manager by Mr. Roberts and Mr. Samuel Lockett.
The underground managers were Mr. Robert Crowther and Mr. T. Burgess, the engineers Mr. E Challinor and Mr. A Burgess. The butties Messrs. Cope and Tatton .
Water was always a problem the Blackband and Red Mine seams were very wet, the Red shagg less so. Ironstone was only drawn on the day shift,
after this shift finished a water box was slung under the cage and water wound. When conditions were particularly wet a notice was posted on the pit bank, " no work today water up "
. As a result of this the ventilation was effected by means of a furnace one third of the way up the upcast shaft. In 1893 the ventilation was in four splits 48197 cubic feet per minute, it must have been effective as tallow candles were used for illumination underground.
The pumping was performed by an old fashioned cornish type engine of low power. At one time the pits were completely drowned out and the services of J. T. Minshall, the engineer of the Apedale Company were required to recover them, for this service he was paid the sum of thirty pounds.
Some of the coal associated with the ironstone was drawn to burn the ironstone, the stone was rucked on the pit bank and taken to the railway by a horse drawn tramway.
The original colliery headsticks were replaced by those from the nearby Rosemary Hill colliery after it closed. This was done by Mr. Albert Pepper, the colliery carpenter, whose job normally was to maintain the pump rods etc. For this work he was presented with an inscribed gold watch.
After the death of Benjamin Viggars his youngest son Mathew Henry Viggars, already a director,
took over the company. He also lived at Knutton Manor farm.
ROSEMARY HILL COLLIERY. ( PEAKE'S PITS. ) G.R. 829 461. app.
Slater's Directory of the Midlands 1850 lists William Brough, brickmaker, at Rosemary Hill. Sometime about 1870 Mr. John Nash Peake took the lease of the brickworks and contracted James Cork to sink a pair of pits there.
When in 1872 the Coal Mines Regulation Act came into force it became mandatory for all colliery managers to hold a certificate of competence which was awarded by examination.
Mr. Tompkinson the manager of Peake's collieries, who was also Peake's brother in law, failed on several occasions to obtain a certificate. Peake was then obliged to appoint another manager.
Meanwhile, Emmanual Lovekin who was at this time one of Peake's butties had passed his managers certificate and out of necessity was appointed manager of Rosemary Hill and the Tileries collieries.
He was provided with a pony and trap to travel between the two sites. Mr. Tompkinson was retained on the payroll as agent and was in Lovekin's words " no friend ".
Rosemary Hill was worked similarly to the Tileries, the Blackband ironstones were got and calcined on site and exported to the Black country ironworks via the railway. Enough of the associated coals were got to burn the stone and fire the bricks .
The abandonment dates are given as,
Red shagg 1884
Red mine 1895
By 1886 Peake's pits were in financial trouble. Lovekin resigned after the second reduction in his salary in June 1886 and the Tileries closed not long after,
Rosemary Hill closed in 1895 but the brickworks continued for many years, the colliery engine house was used to wind marl from the marlhole until it was eventually demolished in 1973.
THE SCHOOLGROUND PITS. G.R. 824 473.app.
These pits were situated on the Apedale side of the old Blackbank road opposite the white farmhouse formerly known as the Jovial Colliers public house. ( Demolished in 1986. )
The footpath from Silverdale to Apedale crosses the site and was the route taken by the Silverdale men who worked in Apedale.
The Schoolground farmhouse was adjacent to the road and footpath.
Edward Orme ( 1629 1704 ), was the curate of the parish church and headmaster of Newcastle school. In his will he left most of his estate of £179 15s 9d in cash, £1278 15s 0d. loaned out at 5% together with houses and land in Newcastle and Knutton to found a school for the poor children of Newcastle.
The charity was well run and as a result of the income from mineral royalties the trustees had £29000 invested in consols by 1872. It was from Orme's bequest that the farm, and the pits on it, got its name.
The first sinkings probably date from the 1850's and were made by W.F. Gordon. On the 17th. June 1856
J.E. Heathcote leased a tramway to Gordon, this was the one which in 1976 could still be traced from the Schoolground site down to the Apedale furnaces.
( It was used as a walk to work path by the Silverdale men who worked at the Apedale footrail 1914 to 1930. )
Old maps show an engine pool in the field adjacent to the road and in 1976 several small dirt tips, shafts and a large mine hearth could be seen.
There were at least seven pits in a NW-SE direction across the site.
The Post Office Directory of 1860 lists under Knutton, Thomas Leech farmer at the Schoolground farm and William Francis Gordon ironstone and coalmaster, Schoolground colliery.
Harrison and Harrods Directory of Staffordshire of 1861 lists William Francis Gordon coal and ironstone master and brickmaker.
The brickyard worked by Gordon was on the Apedale property at 823 477 app. J.J. remembered, when walking to work at the Burley in the 1920's, seeing quantities of bricks and brick rubble in this area and forming the opinion that a brickyard had existed there previously.
Some or all of the brick marl must have been obtained from the pits, as was done at the Nabbs Brickyard in Silverdale and this could explain the small dirt tips.
The ironstones were probably worked out, the large mine hearth was partly excavated by Kettle's about 1930 and the resulting "mine ess "carted away to the railway at Knutton.
The last reference we have to the pits is in the Post Office Directory of 1872 when they were still worked by Gordon.
The abandonment date is given as prior to September 1875, by the following year Gordon had transferred his ironstone and brickmaking interests to the Oaks colliery.
THE WHITEBARN COLLIERY. G.R. 828 475. app.
The colliery was situated to the north west of Knutton, in the early nineteenth century the farm was not part of the Sneyd or Gresley/Heathcote estates and was probably owned by John Bennett, sometime Lord of the Manor of Knutton.
Local tradition has it that the first pits were sunk on the farm in 1800 by the Lawton family who were the farm tenants.
However White's Directory of 1831 does not mention the Lawton name or the colliery, only Joseph Platt, beerhouse and coalowner, Knutton is mentioned.
By 1850 the colliery was owned by Luke Lawton and Co., it is listed in Slater's Directory of 1851 and White's directory of the same year.
In 1851 William and Noah Lawton were working the pits, probably Luke's sons. By this time the colliery was well established and benefited immediately from the opening of the N.S.R. Apedale branch,
the first paying train through the Hartshill tunnel was an ironstone train from the Whitebarn colliery to the Broomfield works, Tipton, on the 11th. of July 1853.
In preparation for this new outlet for ironstone a spur was put in from the Apedale branch and a double siding for the rail working was installed,
stone was jigged down the steep slope from the mine hearth and tipped via a chute into the rail wagons which were shunted by a horse.
At this time there was a keen demand for North Staffordshire ironstone from South Staffs and the Black Country Ironworks
and in just over ten years the Blackband stones were worked out at the Whitebarn, the abandonment is given as 1866.
About this time the last and deepest sinkings were made at the Whitebarn, the shafts were sunk to the Cannel row horizon at 258 yards.
The Post Office Directory of 1868 gives George and William Lawton as owners. However, Keate's Gazateer and Directory of the Potteries and Newcastle of 1875/6 lists John Blaikie as colliery proprietor, Whitebarn colliery and Enoch Mould manager.
The pits were continued for about thirty years after the ironstones were exhausted but do not seem to have been very profitable.
J.J.'s grandfather, another John Johnson ( born 1837. ) was the union negotiator at the pit and J.J. remembered him telling of one meeting when he said " if we had stopped any longer he ( Blaikie ) would have given us the pit."
The colliery buildings were demolished in 1902 by James Nind, a butcher in Knutton.
The bricks were carted away and used to build houses in Knutton for M. H. Viggars. About 1910 the mine hearth was excavated for " mine ess " and it was about this time that the shafts were supposed to have been filled.
In 1956 the Cannel row workings were entered from the Apedale footrail and the pit bottoms were inspected, there were still loaded pit tubs in the pit bottom.
The shafts were found to be open and were quickly fenced off with a substantial fence and remained so until they were capped.
After the pits were abandoned they filled with water but were later drained by the footrail working.
The Whitebarn farm was obtained from the N.C.B. by Newcastle Borough Council for reclamation in an agreement which involved both parties tipping in the valley below the pits,
also the N.C.B. obtained the High Carr tip, which had been used by the council for tipping domestic rubbish with planning permission to tip the dirt from Wolstanton colliery in a series of low profiled tiers.
A report on the Whitebarn colliery site was commissioned by the Borough from Wardell and Partners and following this a contract was awarded to Wimpey Laboratories to find and cap the shafts.
This was done between July and October 1976. We were able to examine the shafts as they were discovered and were surprised at the quality of the brickwork in the early shafts.
The bricks were of poor quality and the brickwork was only four inch with no mortar used in the joints.
KINGSLEY MOOR. (See Woodhead.)
Back to list of Pit Names