COLLIERIES OF THE NORTH STAFFS COALFIELD (L)

All National Grid references shown thus G.R.999666

LITTLE ABOVE PARK.
Cheadle.
1880 Mann and Co.

LAWTON AND HARECASTLE COLLIERIES.
This enterprise was developed from what was originally Heathcote's Harecastle colliery and pits on the Lawton estate.
In 1844 Heathcote who was short of money attempted for the second time to sell his Kidsgrove property.
He was unsuccessful but he did engage Mr. William Rigby to manage Woodshutts colliery and he continued to do so until 1850.
The 1861 Harrison and Harrods Directory of Staffordshire lists Andrew Bidder and Co. Lawton and Harecastle Collieries and Limeworks. ( The O.S. shows three limekilns.)
The immediate predecessors of Bidder and Elliot were Messrs. L.L. Heslop ( or Haslope ) and J.Cooper. ( This may well have been Joseph Cooper who later leased Podmore Hall colliery and eventually formed a partnership with W.Y.Craig,
not surprising as Craig was the general manager for Heslop and Cooper at Harecastle. ) However by 1866 Messrs. G. P.Bidder and Sir George Elliot had become partners and lessees and would appear to have had a 30 year lease 1866 to 1896.
They paid 537 for a half year, a minimum rent of 1000 per year and a royalty of 25 per foot per acre.
Early in 1866 they were ordering machinery from Messrs. Black and Hawthorne which included a locomotive and a direct acting pumping engine 25 inch cylinder by 6 ft. stroke.
The manager at this time was W. Y. Craig and the bailiff was Luke Foster.
The firm of Bidder and Elliot patented a hydraulic multiple wedge and feathers, using four feathers and a steel wedge and this device was used to break down the coal in their pits for many years.
They also patented a type of safety lamp devised by W.Y. Craig that could only be opened in a powerful magnetic field.
In 1877 W.Y. Craig left to partner Joseph Cooper at Podmore Hall and was replaced by John McGowan as Agent and General Manager until he retired in 1896.
Harecastle colliery closed about 1875 and other pits on the Lawton estate such as the Moss pits continued.
N.S.I.M.M.E.
Robert Oswald Harecastle Colliery, S-on-T. Elected 1872.
William Oswald Harecastle Colliery, S-onT. Elected 1872.
G.W. Wilkinson Harecastle Colliery, S-on-T. Elected 1872.
Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire 1892 states, extensive collieries and ironworks belonging to the Lawton estate.
Several other extensive collieries worked by the Harecastle and Woodshutts Colliery and coke Co.
Bidder and Elliot's tenure ceased in 1896 however, Sir George Elliot died in December 1893 and the firm was wound up by Messrs. Norton Rose Norton and Farish. 572 Old Broad Street . London.In 1896.
The pits were continued for a while by the Lawton Trustees but finally closed about 1904.

MOSS PITS. G.R. 839 554.
Coke ovens 854 553. app. Moss pit 256 yds. , taken over by the Lawton trustees and closed by 1904.
1896. manager Geo. E. Lawton. Undermanager John Bellfield Junior.
U/g 284 A/g 130.
Seams worked, 7 and 8 ft. Banbury and Bullhurst.

MOSS 1,2.
Kidsgrove; Church Lawton.
Two row; Muck; Bowling Alley.

HARECASTLE (MOSS 4041)
Kidsgrove; Church Lawton.
7 and 8 ft. Banbury; Bullhurst.
Abandoned July 1900.

HARECASTLE CANNEL.
Newchapel; Kidsgrove.
Bullhurst; Winpenny; Cannel; Silver mine.

SLAPPENFIELD.
260 yds. to the Bullhurst, was filled in when Bidder and Elliot;s leases terminated in 1896.

HARECASTLE.
LAWTON, MOSS, SHIGGY, SLAPPENFIELD,TATCHINEND

Kidsgrove; Church Lawton.
7 ft. Banbury 1883, 8 ft. Banbury 1878, Bullhurst 1884.

HARECASTLE AND KIDSGROVE.
Newchapel; Kidsgrove; Church Lawton.
7 and 8 ft. Banbury.

WOODSHUTTS.
10 ft. dia. by 260 yds. sunk to the 8 ft. Banbury.
Woodshutts Bidder and Elliot lease dated 10th. June 1870.

BUTT LANE UPCAST SHAFT.
In Heathcote's ground, furnace shaft for Slappenfield and Woodshutts pits. 7 ft. Banbury at 160 yds.
Ventilation furnaces extinguished 8th. August 1886 and a 45 ft. Waddell fan powered by an engine with a 24 inch cylinder started.

HARECASTLE, WOODSHUTTS AND HOLLINSWOOD. ( MOSS, SLAPPENFIELD, NO.45 )
Kidsgrove; Hardingswood; Audley; Church Lawton.
Birchenwood; Yard; 4 ft., Rough 7 ft., Stoney 8 ft., 10 ft., Top two row; 7 ft. Banbury; 8 ft. Banbury; Bullhurst; Bottom two row.
Abandoned March 1897.

TALKE HURST..G.R. 825 551. app.
Sunk from 1861 by Bidder and Elliot. Seven foot Banbury at 150 yards.

HARECASTLE COLLIERIES LTD. ( 1931. )
Niggar field, Kidsgrove. Manager J.B. Weir. 108 u/g , 33 a/g.
Lawton mine ( developing. ) “ “ “ 6 a/g.
Seams worked, Winpenny, Bullhurst, 10 ft.
Annual output 50000 tons
Power used steam.

LONGTON HALL COLLIERYG.R. 904 432. app.
In 1777 Longton Hall was bought on behalf of J. E. Heathcote from the Rev Obadiah Lane, whose family had owned it for several generations. The Heathcotes later moved to Apedale Hall about 1838.
Longton Hall colliery and brickworks were the property of James and Alfred Glover until 1889.
N.S.I.M.M.E.
Mr. Benjamin Wilson, manager Longton Hall colliery. elected 1890.
Longton Hall Colliery Company was struck off the register 14 May 1897.
1896 Longton Hall Numbers 1, 2, 3 Standing.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Longton Hall 3296
Coal, Great Row. Abandoned march 1895.
18 S.W. 1925 A 9. 10. B 9. 10. 11. C 10. 11. 12.
Longton Hall Numbers 1, 2, 3. – 1229.
Coal, Cannel Row 1870, Little Mine 1875, Knowles 1879, Ash 1889.
Ironstone, Deep mine Chalkey Mine, Blackmine, Knowles, 1885. Bassey Mine 1886.
18 S.W.1925 A 9. 10. 11. B 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. C 9. 10. 11. 12. D 10. 11.
(Apparently Glovers were the last to mine ironstone.)

LAWN COLLIERY. G.R. 907 462. app.
Lawn Farm 910 457 app.
1881 The Chatterley Iron Company Ltd. Have commenced to recover the deeper and more valuable seams, including the Cockshead which is 8 feet 6 inches thick (Prior to this Lawn was probably one of C.J.H. Homer's collieries. )
The Chatterley Company built a tramway from Lawn Colliery to a wharf on the Cauldon Canal, near the Leek Road, a distance of one and a half miles.
A double line of twenty inch gauge accommodated the pit tubs. ( Bentilee colliery at 460 906 was connected to this colliery.)
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Lawn Number 10 157
Coal, Moss Abandoned prior to June 1874.
18 N.W. 1925 C 12.
Lawn (Birches) 131
Coal, Birches Abandoned prior to June 1874.
18 N.W. 1925 B 12. C 12
Lawn ( Birches ; Brook ; Moss: ) See Ubberley
Lawn See Berry Hill ; Ubberley.
Lawn 10 foot Mossfield Colliery Co.
Lawn 7696
Coal, Mossfield Asbandoned Aug.1923.
18 N.W. 1925 B 11. 12. C 11.

LATEBROOK.
Footrail,

LATEBROOK AND SPENDCROFT.
1949 W. R. Midwinter, Navigation Road, Burslem, Staffs.
Latebrook and Spendcroft, Latebrook, near Goldenhill.
Coal, manufacturing.
7 u/g, 3 a/g.

LEA MILL FORGES. G.R. 889 599 app.
White's Directory 1851.
Samuel F. Gosling had a colliery at Lea House.
1853 Samuel Gosling worked Biddulph Hall Colliery at the bottom of the clough and north of Lea forge on land owned by Lord Camoys.
The colliery at Lea House was on his own land. Last mention of him working coal in 1861.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Lea Mill Forges. Psh. Biddulph. Coal.

LOWER ASH.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Psh. Audley. Coal, Yard. Abandoned 20 7 1901.

LADYSWELL.
1869William Bowers.Cheadle.
Closed c.a. 1871.

LADYSWELL. ( See Shelton collieries.)

LANE END (WHARF)

LANE DELPH.
In 1802 Josiah Spode II took a twenty one year lease of coal mines in Lane Delph. One of the other lessees was Thomas Fenton who married Spode';s sister Anne in 1808
. At this time (1802) Spode also bought an interest in Fenton Park colliery

LANE END COLLIERY.
White's Directory 1834.
John Smith Esqre. Lane End colliery.
White's Directory 1851.
Charles John Smith, Lane End Colliery. William Cope agent.
In the Chartist disturbances of 1842 the Longton colliery of C.J. Smith was involved in the violence.

LANE ENDS. Longton See Plackets Brook and Foley Colliery.
W.H. Sparrow worked mines and an ironworks at Lane end until 1867 when he sold out to Thomas Goddard, ( 1791 1872 ), a doctor and potter.
George Mitcheson (c.a. 1795 1850 ) who worked at Killingworth colliery with George Stephenson was, on Stephenson's recommendation appointed agent to the Lane End ironworks and Foley colliery at Fenton in 1828.
After 1850 one of his sons William Summersides Mitcheson followed his father at the Lane End works and Foley colliery as Agent and he was also a partner in the Goldenhill colliery at Fenton from 1854 to about 1858.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Lane Ends. Psh. S-on-T.
Coal, Cannel Row. Abandoned 1850.
Mine plans held by G.A. Mitcheson.

LANE ENDS. Tunstall.
1896 Lane Ends, Tunstall.
Robert Heath and Sons Ltd.
Manager James Lockett undermanager Jacob Myatt.
30 u/g, 24 a/g.
Coal, Rowhurst, ironstone Burnwood.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Lane Ends Psh S-on-T
Coal, Rowhurst 1874,Twist 1878, Burnwood 1893.
Ironstone, Rusty Mine 1865, Burnwood 1895, Brown mine,
Plans Robert Heath and Lowmoor.
7 S.W. 1925 D 2. E 2.3. F 2. 3. 4. G 2. 3.
Lane Ends.
Coal, Twist, Rowhurst 1876.
Ironstone, Brown Mine 1876, Burnwood 1895.
Plans held Chatterley Whitfield Company.
7 S.W. 1925 F 2. 3. G 2. 3
Lane Ends and Wedgwood 9318
Coal, Rowhurst 1871, Twist, Burnwood 1886.
Ironstone, Brown Mine 1869, Burnwood 1886.
7 S.W. 1925 F 2. 3. G 2. 3. H 3.
Lane Ends 2829
Coal, Rowhurst Ab. 30 7 1892.

LONGTON GUTTER
An old water level which drained workings in the Longton district and which was in use up to about 1870. ( G.A. Mitcheson.)

LONGTON DISTRICT.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Psh. S-on-T.
Coal, Moss or Mossfield, Birches, Yard, Little Mine. Abandoned 1861 – 1876.
Plans G.A. Mitcheson.

LYTLEY.
Cheadle.1880 Bolton and Son.

LAURA.( See Norton.)

LEYCETT. ( See Madeley colliery.)

LILLYDALE. G.R. 906 471. app. Near Brookhouse Green.
1880 Lillydale E. Perrins. ?
Small colliery no rail connection, clay pits and brickworks on site.
When closed the shafts of Lillydale colliery were covered by sleepers and surrounded by barbed wire. A small boy fell in and his body was never recovered.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Lillydale 2426 Coal Cockshead Abandoned 19 5 1890.
12 S.W. 1926 G 11. H 11.
Lillydale 2801 Coal Banbury Abandoned July 1892.
12 S.W. 1926 G 11. H 11.
Lillydale 3193 Coal Little Row Abandoned March 1894.
12 S.W. 1926 H 11.
Lillydale 7423 Coal Brick kiln Abandoned 16 Jan. 1922.
12 S.W. 1926 H 11. 12.
Lillydale Coal, Bullhurst, Banbury 1880, Cockshead 1890.
Mine plans R. Sneyd, Keele Estate Office.

LITTLE HIGH CARR. G.R. 833 506 app.
1931Little High Carr Colliery Co.
Regd. Office, Red Street, Chesterton, Staffs.
Manager J. Davies.
16 u/g, 6 a/g.
seams worked, Little red Mine, Peacock, fireclay Peacock marl.

LONGHOUSE. ( See Woodhead.).
Cheadle. Closed c.a. 1871.

LOGS.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Psh. Ipstones, Kingsley.
Ironstone New or red Mine Abandoned 1890.
Plans Park Hall Colliery Co. Ltd., Cheadle.

LOWLANDSSee Ravenscliffe, Ashwood, Yeld Hill.

LOWLANDS.
Footrail. Deliveries c.a. 1949.

LINLEY NUMBER 6. See Goldenhill.

LITTLE PITS. G.R. 865 511. app. Tunstall, near Scotia Colliery.
Shown on a map of 1837.
Probably sunk as coal pits for the potters before the demand arose for the ironstones.
John Ward 1838 H.H. Williamson Esquire, Little Pits.
Very near to the Pinnox ironworks of H H. Williamson ( 1785 1867.). Little pits became ironstone pits.
His Tunstall collieries were abandoned after his death and pumping ceased which caused the flooding and abandonement of several other collieries.
Kelly's Directory 1900.
Goodall & Forrester, Coal dealers, Little pits.
Not recorded in the catalogue of Abandoned Mine Plans.

LILY PITS. See Apedale and Podmore.

LEE HOUSE.
Biddulph.
White's Directory 1851.
Samuel Gosling Lee House

LUNTS.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Psh. Audley. Coal.
Lawton and Harecastle Collieries, Lunts pit, near Woodshutts colliery.
Goodmans Lunts, one of John Gilberts pits c.a. 1812.

LIME HEATH. See Clanway colliery.

Back to list of Pit Names