COLLIERIES OF THE NORTH STAFFS COALFIELD (P)

All National Grid references shown thus G.R.999666

PACKMORE LANE ENDS.
O.S. surveyed 1874/5. Colliery at G.R. 870 546. app.
Coal and ironstone at 869 547 & 868 545
1880 Packmore, Lawton Bros.

PACKMORE NEW 2828.
1880 Packmore ( New ) New Packmore colliery Co.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Psh. S-on-T.
Coal and ironstone, Twist, Burnwood. Abandoned 30 6 1892.
7SW 1925. E 2. F.2.

PARKHOUSE. See Chesterton section.
Red Shag, Red Mine, Blackband. Ab 3rd Feb. 1921.
11NE 1925. G 5.6.7.8. H 4.5.6.7.8.
11SE 1926. A 4.5.6.7.8.

PODMORE HALL.
Coal; Castlemain, Ten ft., Four ft., Eight ft., Five ft., Seven ft., 7 ft. Banbury and seam unnamed.
Abandoned 1860 – 96.
11SW 1900. A 8.9. B 9.10. C 7.8.9.10. D 9.10. E 8.9. F 8.9. G 8.9.

PODMORE HALL AND HAYESWOOD.
The Podmore Hall, Hayeswood area, has been worked for coal for a great many years,
Richard Parrot writing in the 1730's records that the Stubbs family had worked coal pits in the Hayeswood for 200 years and had become relatively well to do from the profits, rich enough to marry their daughters to gentlemen.
In 1803 Sir N. B. Gresley paid a poor law assessment to Audley parish of 312 for his three pits at Podmore Hall.
Gresley died in 1808 and in his will he left certain of his colliery interests to provide an income for his surviving daughters, both of whom had married clergymen.
R.E.Heathcote was determined to gain sole control of the Apedale property and the other Gresley colliery interests.
In 1809 he leased the Podmore Hall pits and machinery from the Revd. Woodyatt and continued to do so until he bought out Woodyatt's wife's share of the Gresley property in 1836.
( He also purchased the other daughters interest from her husband the Revd. Levett. ). The Podmore Hall colliery then became part of the Heathcote Apedale estate.
However, R.E. Heathcote died in 1850, shortly before his death he leased the Podmore Hall pits to William Rigby and Thomas Lycett , unfortunately for the partners Heathcote died before the completion of the lease and his son J.H.E. Heathcote decided to continue himself.
However, he later reversed his decision and proceeded to lease the coal properties of the estate.
Podmore Hall colliery was leased to Joseph Cooper in 1867.
This was just in time to reap the benefit of the North Staffordshire Railway Market Drayton railway with its Audley branch providing the almost mandatory rail transport for coal export.
Cooper soon formed a partnership with W.Y. Craig, who had purchased an interest in the Hayeswood colliery
and by 1870 they were partners and remained so for about ten years until Cooper's death in 1881. His widow, Hannah Cooper, then held his share but this obviously did not suit Craig as he bought out her interest.
Craig sank the Minnie pit in 1883, named after his wife Mrs. Minnie Craig.
He continued to run both Podmore Hall and the Hayeswood collieries until they were taken over by the Midland Coal Coke and Iron Company of which he became the first manager.
Podmore Hall c.a. 1880.
No. 3. Downcast. 10 ft. dia. x 280 yds. Closed with Midland Co. 1930.
No. 4. Upcast. 8 ft. dia. x 150 yds. Closed 1902.
Ventilation 25 ft. Walker Bros. Fan
Hayeswood / Minnie. ( Post 1883. )
No. 1. Minnie. Upcast. 16 ft. dia. x 350 yds. Closed with Midland Co. 1930.
No. 2 Hayeswood. 10 ft. dia. x 520 yds. Closed 1902.
Ventilation 45 ft. Waddle fan at Minnie.
After 1902 the Midland Co. worked Podmore Hall No. 3. and the Minnie.
Ventilation was by a Bumstead and Chandler high speed fan. ( 58480 c.ft. m.) at No. 3.

PODMORE HALL.
Footrail, Halmerend.
Coal, manufacturing, abandoned Dec 1948.
I. Joynson, Podmore Cottage, Halmerend, S-on-T.
Footrail closed by the N.C.B. for the Hayes opencast. A new footrail driven near Leycett station as compensation.

PARK HALL. Cheadle G.R. 993 445. app.
1880 Almond and Co.
1882 Parkhall, William Malkin.
1896 Park Hall, Cheadle.
E. E. Almond.
Manager William Southall.
60 u/g, 17 a/g.
Coal, Woodhead.
1908 As above
48 u/g, 14 a/g.<
1918 ParkHall Colliery Co.
Manager Jas. H. Lister undermanager H. Mullinex.
164 u/g, 67 a/g.

PARK HALL. Weston Coyney. G.R. 926 435. app.
Closed by N.C.B. 1963.
Park Hall Colliery from about 1850.
1896 Park Hall Collieries Ltd., Longton.
Manager Thomas Robinson undermanager E.T. Davies.
271 u/g, 64 a/g.
Coal, Bowling Alley, Holly Lane, Hardmine.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Parkhall, Weston Coyney 3113.
Coal, Hardmine (west) 11 5 1894.
18NE 1925. H 3.
18SE 1925. A 3.4.
Coal, Moss 1879, Yard, Birches 1887.
Plans Mossfield colliery Co. , Longton.
18NE 1925. H 3.4.
18SE 1925. A 3.4. B 4.
Coal, Holly Lane.
Plans G.A. Mitcheson.
18SE 1925. A 2.3.4. B 2.3.4.5.
Coal, Birches,Yard, Mossfield, Holly lane, Hardmine. 1882 1888.
Plans G. A. Mitcheson.
18NE 1925. H 3.4.
18SE 1925. A 3.4. B 3.4. C 4.

PARK FARM OPENCAST.Goldenhill.
Area opencasted, 1972, by Murphys contractors and reclaimed to be the municipal golf course. The area was previously worked by footrails and Williamsons.

PARK. See Madeley and Leycett section.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Psh. Madeley.
Coal.
17NW 1925. B 6.

PENDER Stafford Coal and Iron
1896 Stafford coal and Iron.
Manager William Barber undermanager F. M. Barnes.
235 u/g, 56 a/g.
Coal, Great row, Cannel Row.

PARK MILL WHIELDONS.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Psh. Ipstones.
Ironstone, Froghall hydrate. Abandoned Dec 1898.
13SE4 1925. C 6.7. D 6.7.

PEACOCK.
Cat ab Mine Plans 1929.
Psh. S-on-T.
Coal, Peacock. Abandoned 1876.
Plans Chatterley Whitfield Collieries.
11NE 1925. A 10.11.12. B 10.11.12.

PEACOCK HAY.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Peacocks Hay 4096
Psh. Wolstanton.
Ironstone, Bassey Mine, Half Yards. Ab. 1 1 1901.
11NE 1925. D 7. E 7.
Peacocks Hay Numbers 1. 2, 3, 4, 5. 9324.
Psh. Hardingswood, Kidsgrove.
Coal, Winghay 1882.
Ironstone, Rusty Mine 1882, Little Mine, Chalkey 1883.
11NE 1925. C 6. D 6.
Peacocks Hay footrail, coal and ironstone.
Great Row footrail.
Bassey Mine Footrail.
Connected by tramway to Ravenscliffe colliery, ( and to Goldendale Ironworks. ? )
Peacocks Hay Numbers 3 & 5.
Footrail, Top of Peacocks Hay, north side.

PENNYSTONE. See Shelton collieries.

PEARTREE. See Shelton collieries.

PEARSON'S See Knutton Millbank.

PARKLANDS NUMBER 3, 4, 5 AND BULLHURST.
Footrails.
1949 Parklands Number 3.
Apedale, Chesterton.
Coal, manufacturing, Top Two Row.
4 u/g, 1 a/g.
J.F. & G.H. Coleman, 91 London Road, Chesterton,Staffs.
1949 Parklands Number 4.
Apedale estate, Chesterton.
Coal, manufacturing, Top Two Row.
10 u/g, 4 a/g.
W.C. Coleman The Mount, Wood Lane, Bignall End, S-on-T.

PARTRIDGE NEST.See Chesterton section.

PENNYFIELDS NUMBER 2.
Footrail.
1949 Pennyfields Number 2, Newchapel.
Coal, household and manufacturing, Twist.
Sproston Bros. 16a Newton, Newchapel, S-on-T.

PINFOLD. See Norton section G.R. 889 513. app.

POOLE DOLE.
Poole Dole Farm G.R. 905 449. app. Poole Dole ironworks 904 450. app.
Slater's Directory 1851.
Poole Dole colliery.
William Hulse.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Poole Dole 900
Coal, Little Mine Ab prior to Nov 1878.
18NW 1925. F 11.12. G 11.12.
Coal, Moss, Yard.
Plans G.A. Mitcheson.
18NW 1925. E 11.12. F 11.12.

PITTSHILL.
Collieries at Pittshill working 1860's. ( Em. Lovekin.)
Foley and Chell Collieries, Pittshill colliery working 1850.

PINNOX COLLIERY (864 506 ) AND CHALKEY COLLIERY.
Pinnox colliery is shown on a map of 1837 in open ground at the end of a short access road, to the north west of Bykers colliery.
H.H. Williamson 1785 1867 owned Pinnox, Chalkey, Little pits and Scotia collieries
White's Directory 1831. H.H. Williamson, Pinnox colliery.
White's Directory 1851 Pinnox colliery, John Butterfield, Agent, Austin Mill.
H.H. Williamson owned the Pinnox ironworks at G.R. 863 509 app., not shown on the 1837 survey.
All Williamson's collieries raised large quantities of ironstone until the late 1870's
. Williamson died in 1867 and by 1871 Pinnox was owned by the Chatterley Iron Co.
The Pinnox mineral railway branch went to the N.S.R. at Brownhills and was also connected to Chatterley Whitfield, it was worked by locomotives from 1862.
Pinnox Ridgway and Scotia owned by the Chatterley Iron Co. by 1880.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Pinnox 254
Ironstone, Chalkey. Abandoned prior to May 1875.
12NW 1925. D 1.2. E 1.2.
Pinnox
Coal, Great Row, Spendcroft, Hoo Cannel, Cannel, Half Yards, Peacock,Cannel Row.
Ironstone, Bassey Mine, Chalkey Mine, Gubbin, Cannel Half Yard, Red Shag, oil shale, Red Mine. (1865 1878 ).
Plans Chatterley Whitfield Collieries.
11NE 1925. D 12. E 12. F 12. G 12.
12NW 1925. D 1.2. E 1.2.F 1.2. C 1.2.3. H 1.2.
12SW 1926. A 1.2.

PLACKETS BROOK COLLIERY. See Lane End, also Foley colliery.
The first reference to the name is from Simeon Shaw ( 1828 ). "About three years ago ( 1825 ) W. H. Sparrow of Wolverhampton commenced working a furnace for reducing the ironstone found in vast quantities in the Placketts Brook colliery; and which promises an ample remuneration for the principle expanded by the spirited proprietor."
(The map in John Ward's book shows the Placketts brook, now called the Cockster brook.)
In 1842 during the Chartist disturbances Sparrow, who employed 300, initiated a riot by reducing wages from 3/7 to 3/- a day.
In 1849 Lane end ironworks had two furnaces in blast and a plateway to the canal at Whieldon wharf.
The works were later owned by Thomas Goddard and sons and finally by Balfour and Co closing in about 1890.

PROVIDENCE. G.R. 849 568 app. ?
To the north of Mount Pleasant, Mow Cop.

PEARTREE. See Chesterton section.
Colliery on the right hand side of Audley Road, (facing Bignall Hill ), Chesterton. ( c.f. Peartree Road.)
Pre dates the N.S.R. Chesterton branch.
The Post Office directory of 1860 Lists Leighton and Cheadle, coalmasters, Chesterton as does Harrison and Harrod & Co's Directory of Staffordshire of 1861.
It is possible that Leighton and Cheadle worked Peartree Colliery.

PEAKE'S NEW SINKINGS.See Tileries, Rosemary Hill.
Part of Peake's Tileries colliery, owned by John Nash Peake and worked in conjunction with the tileries and brickworks.
Poor quality coal was good enough for the brickyards and tilebanks. Ironstone was mined and sold and the blackband coals worked with the ironstones.
The colliery was near to Burslem sewage works , a private line to the N.S.R. at Bradwell sidings.
The canal was used prior to this.
The Tileries colliery buildings carried the date 1880, probably the date of the new sinkings.
The engine house and chimney were still in existence in the 1950's.

PRIORSFIELD. Goldenhill Longton.
Drainage gutter for Priorsfield area, owned by Lord Gower from about 1720.

Back to list of Pit Names