COLLIERIES OF THE NORTH STAFFS COALFIELD (S)

All National Grid references shown thus G.R.999666

SHELTON COLLIERIES.
There were at the archives of British Steel at Shotton steelworks two ledgers of Shelton colliery dating from the first decade of the nineteenth century, which list in detail the purchases for the colliery and tommy shop.
The food bought for resale to the colliers and their families consisted mainly of flour, potatoes and cheese.
For the colliery work vast quantities of candles and all the tools necessary for the men, (who had to buy everything from the firm, )
a common tool was the " tommy hawk ", presumably used for timbering. Considerable quantities of black powder were also bought and resold to the crutters.
At this time the shaft numbering had reached the eighties.
Simeon Shaw 1828 writes, " In Vine Street, Shelton, near here is proof of how much of Shelton is undermined by the collieries which have been in operation for many years; and seem likely to continue.
The coal mines under all the copyhold lands within the manor belong to the Duchy of Lancaster; and now yield a considerable revenue being worked, exclusively for the consumption of the Potteries by the lessee of the crown Lord Viscount Granville."
Ironstone mining did not start until the original furnaces were built on the Hanley site in the 1830's and the blast furnaces at Etruria date from 1850 for the Shelton Bar Iron Company.
The first steel was made by the Gilchrist and Thomas open hearth method in 1880
and in 1889 the Shelton Iron Steel and Coal Company Ltd. was formed, becoming a subsidiary of John Summers and Sons Ltd. In 1920.
In 1931
Deep pits Manager I. W. Cumberbatch 1455 u/g, 375 a/g.
Racecourse J. Hall 437 u/g, 123 a/g.
Silverdale J. O. Davies
Seams worked, Moss, Ragman, 10 foot, Holly Lane, Cockshead, Two Yard, Great Row, Cannel Row, Peacock, Spencroft.
( John Summers also owned Parkhouse, Holditch and Wolstanton collieries.)

SHELTON PUMPING ENGINES.
Blucher pumping engine.
Old Nan pumping engine. Both at G.R. 879 475. app.
Wellington pumping engine. 878 474. app.

SHELTON COLLIERIES KNOWN..
BELLS MILL..
c.a. 1845/9
Bells Mill engine pit.
Bells Mill north pit.
Bells mill south pit.
Bells Mill gutter pit
Bassey Mine Abandoned about 1861.

BLUCHER..
c.a. 1845/9
Blucher engine pit.

BLACKHORSE LANE..
c.a. 1845/9
Bassey mine pit at Black Horse Lane.
G.R. 877 476. app. ( Not listed in the Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.)

BASSEY MINE. (GRANGE)..
Coal and ironstone. ( Not listed in the Cat ab Mine Plans 1929. )

BOOTHEN..
G.R. 878 482. app.
Bassey Mine abandoned 1861, Great Row 1872, Gubbin 1886.

BOOTHEN AND STACKYARD..
Ironstone Gubbin.

BRYANSWOOD..
G.R. 882 482. app.
Coal, ironstone. Pennystone abandoned 1882.

BOUNTY..
Not listed in the Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

BURNWOOD OR DEEP..
Coal, Burnwood, Twist.
Ironstone, Burnwood. Abandoned about 1860

CLAYHOLES..
c.a. 1845/9
Clayhole pit.
Providence Square, Hanley.
Coal, Ragman abandoned 1860

DEEP. (HANLEY DEEP)..
Sunk by Earl Granville and Co. 1854.
1905 manager J. Prest. O.D. 580 feet.
505 yards to the Rough 7 Foot.

GREAT ROW..
G.R. 877 476. app.

GUBBIN.
G.R. 875 473. app.
Not listed in the Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

GUTTER..
G.R. 875 479. app.
Not listed in the Cat ab Mine plans 1929.

HALL..
G.R. 873 478. app.
Blackband abandoned 1887.

JOINERS SQUARE..
c.a. 1845/9
Joiners square gin pits.
Joiners square deep pit, chalkey mine.

KENNEL ROW..
G.R. 877 474. app.

LADYSWELL..
c.a. 1845/9
Ladys well jack pit.
G.R. 876 477. app.
Bassey Mine Abandoned 1861, Chalkey coal and ironstone 1878, pennystone 1882.

LODGE..
G.R. 874 475. app.
Ironstone, Blackband Ab. 1887.

MARLHOLE..
c.a. 1848/9
7 ft. pit in Clarke’s marlhole.

MOUNT..
G.R. 876 482. app.
Bassey Mine Abandoned about 1861.

MOUNT PLEASANT..
c.a. 1845/9
Mount Pleasant pit.
Mount Pleasant gubbin pit.

NUMBER 10..
Bassey Mine abandoned about 1861.

NEW MINE..
New Mine ironstone, abandoned about 1863
Not listed in the Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

PEARTREE.
c.a. 1845/9
Peartree pit.
G.R. 883 482. app.
Coal, Winghay 1876, coal and ironstone Chalkey 1878, Ironstone Pennystone 1882.

PENNYSTONE..
G.R. 879 476. app.
Pennystone ironstone abandoned about 1882.

PENNY MINE..
Abandoned about 1847.
Not in the Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

RACECOURSE..
c.a. 1845/9
7 Ft. pit No.3. Racecourse ground.

RACECOURSE NUMBER 1 & 2..
272 Yards to the Great Row coal, 340 yards to the Pennystone ironstone.
Blackband Abandoned 1887.
Red Shag 1901
Red Mine 1901.
Closed c.a. 1904.

RACECOURSE Number 3 & 4..
G.R. 874 478. app.
1896 Manager J.J. Prest undermanager William Hadley.
386 u/g, 131 a/g.
Coal and ironstone, Pennystone, Cannel Row, Great Row, Bassey mine.

RACECOURSE NUMBER 5..
G.R. 873 481. app.
1896 manager J.J. Prest undermanager T. Weaver.
151 u/g, 54 a/g.
Ironstone, Red Mine, Red Shag.

ROWHURST NUMBER 1 & 2..( Slippery Lane. ) G.R. 876 474. app.
c.a. 1845/9
Peter Carrs Rowhurst pit.
Peter Carrs water pit.
Bassey mine at Slippery Lane.
1896 Manager J.J. Prest undermanagers J. Redhead and P. Turner.
549 u/g, 163 a/g.
Coal, Rider, Rowhurst, Winghay, Burnwood.
Ironstone, Burnwood ,New mine.
Abandoned Feb. 1909.

SPENCROFT..
G.R. 875 474. app.

SHELTON.. ( Birches Head.)
Coal, Great Row, Cannel Row, Spencroft.
Ironstone, Gubbin, Red Shag.
Abandoned c.a. 1849.
Cat Ab. Mine Plans 1929.

SHELTON..
Coal; Great Row, Cannel Row, Spencroft, Burcheshead.
Ironstone; Gubbin , Red Shag. About 1849.
12SW 1926. D7.8. E 3.4.5.6. F 3.4.5.6. G 3.4.5.6. H 4.5.6.
Ironstone; New Mine. 1863.
12SW 1926. E 5.6. F 5.6. G 5.6.
Ironstone; Penny mine, 1847 . Deep mine, 1844.
12SW 1926. D 6. E 5.6. F 5.6.
Shelton; Bryanswood, Ladyswell, Peartree, Pennystone,
Ironstone; Pennystone, 1882.
12SW 1926. E 4.5.6. F 4.5.6. G 4.5. H 4.5.
Burnwood.
Coal; Burnwood, Twist.
Ironstone; Burnwood, about 1848.
12SW 1926. D 7. E 7.
Clayhole.
Coal; Ragman 1860.
12SW 1926. B 5. C 5.6.7. D 6.7. E 6.7.
Peartree.
Coal; winghay 1876.
12SW 1926. E 5.6. F 5.6
Racecourse.
Coal and Ironstone; Red Shag, Red Mine. Ab. March 1901.
12SW 1926. D 3.4. E 2.3.4. F 2.3.4. G 2.3.4. H 4.

TWIST..
c.a. 1845/9
Twist pit in Paddock Lane.

WELLINGTON..
c.a. 1845/9
Wellington engine pit.

END OF SHELTON COLLIERIES..

SHELTON COLLIERY..
Providence Square.

SHELTON FARM COLLIERY..

SHAFFALONG OR CHEDDLETON..
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Psh. Cheddleton.
Coal, Cobble or Cockle, abandoned Dec 1909.

STAFFORD COAL AND IRON. See Great Fenton colliery.

SILVESTER..
White's Directory of 1851.
Silvester Colliery, Burslem, Mathews and Jones.
Not mentioned in the Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
1869 Sylvester Colliery Barnett and Co.

SNEYD GREEN..
Slater's Directory 1851.
Sneyd Green.
Ann and Mary Adams.

SNEYD..
John Ward c.a.1838.
"The principle estate in the hamlet of Sneyd is a farm of 180 acres or upwards, called emphatically " the Sneyd" belonging to the Earl of Macclesfield;
and abounding like the rest of the hamlet with mines of coal and ironstone. five or six crop outwithin the distance of half a mile.
The mines dip at about fifteen degrees from the horizon, affording a very extensive field of coal at a moderate depth.
They have been wrought very largely for many years and the heads or crops were, in early times, obtained with little labour."
In 1719 George Lord Parker Afterwards Earl of Macclesfield, obtained from the owners of the lowlands near Burslem church, permission to drive a sough or gutter level, from thence into his estate,
by which his mines of coal were drained without the aid of machinery, and a supply of coals afforded , adequate to the demand, for a period of about 60 years afterwards".
1905 Geological Survey.
For half a mile north of Sneyd colliery the surface of the ground is almost covered with the refuse of old coal workings,
coal from the Chalkey Mine to the Bassey Mine outcrop, but the outcrops are no longer visible.
( By the latter part of the seventeenth century the outcrops near High Lane were being worked by strings of shallow pits drained by gutters. )
In 1841 the lease of Sneyd colliery was taken by Charles Bower May (Born 1820) and Joshua May, trading as J. & C. May Coal and ironstone masters.
N.S.I.M.M.E
Charles May Jnr. Sneyd colliery, Burslem. Elected 1872.
J. B. May 1874.
C. B. May 1874.
In 1873 the colliery was connected to the N.S.R. loop line. This was not the first rail link as a map of 1832 shows a tramway from the Sampsonengine at Sneyd to the Burslem canal branch.
J and C May went bankrupt in the 1870's and the colliery was taken over by William Heath.
At this time William Heath was the managing partner, John Heath colliery manager.
Three shafts situated centrally for the area of take of 551 acres.
Shafts 1 and 2 190 yards deep were sunk in 1849 to work the Winghay and Knowles coals.
Number 1 was the upcast 12 feet in diameter and connected to two large chimneys. ( Furnace draught.?)
1896 Sneyd number 2.
Sneyd Colliery and Brickworks Co Ltd.
Manager John Heath undermanager William Frost.
462 u/g, 92 a/g.
Coal, Yard, 10 Foot, Bowling Alley, Holly Lane, Hardmine.
Sneyd Number 3
( as above ).
147 u/g, 32 a/g.
Coal and ironstone, Burnwood, Mossfield, Seven Foot, Two Foot.
1905 Geological Survey.
Coals worked at Sneyd.
Banbury , 7 Foot Nabbs or Froggery; Hardmine, Sparrow Butts or Muck Row; Bowling Alley; Magpie; Tatchin End; Two Row; Gin Mine; Twist or Pottery coal.
1932
Four shafts, Number 4, 15 feet in diameter 890 yards deep is the main winding shaft.
Manager Albert Marshall.
2300 employed.
500000 tons p.a.

STONETROUGH COLLIERY.. G.R. 868 568. app.
Stonetrough colliery was being worked before 1800. In 1810 it was leased from John Johnson by William Cheshire Glover for a term of twenty five years.The lease was for the mines under Stonetrough and Hollinhouse farms.
This lease was terminated on the first of January 1829 when all the coals were worked out to the limit of the pumping engines capacity.
John Farey 1817 A General View of the agriculture of Derbyshire.
Re the Congleton rail way.
" On the south east side of Congleton in Chesire about two miles at the corner of Congleton Moss, a coal yard was established about the year 1807, for the supply of coals to this town
and a railway was laid there from the south about two miles to Stonetrough colliery in Woolstanton.
It was laid with oval bars of iron on top of which the pulley formed wheels of the tram ran; but when I saw this railway in July 1809, it almost or quite disused."
In 1832 Robert Williamson leased land and the minerals under the Stonetrough, Towerhill and Hollinhouse farms, and also land to build a tramway to the Macclesfield Canal.
This tramway was tunnelled under the summit of Mow Cop, the south end collapsed under the road in the 1930's and was filled with rubble, both ends of the tunnel are now filled.
Williamson's lease ( 50 years ) expired in 1882 although Williamsons were still working Stonetrough in 1885.
The collieries were offered for sale in 1884. Williamsons were outbid by Robert Heath and in 1887 Heaths aquired the lands and mineral rights to the Stonetrough and Towerhill collieries.
In July 1887 Stonetrough was stripped and by August there was sixty feet of water in the 201 yard engine pit.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Stonetrough Psh. Biddulph, Newchapel.
Coal, Hardmine 1864, Rough 7 feet, Ten Feet 1872, Stoney 8 Feet 1856, Two Row or Holly Lane 1862.
Plans Robert Heath and Lowmoor Ltd..
6SE 1926. B 12.
7NW 1900. G2.3. H 1.2.3.
7SW 1925. A 1.2. B 1.2.

SANDS.. G.R. 864 567. app.
1896 Sands, Harriseahead.
Edwin Hancock, Harriseahead, S-on-T.
11 u/g, 3 a/g.
Coal, 8 Foot Banbury.
1900 Sands.
Rowley, Hulme and Co., Harriseahead, Tunstall, Staffs.
1905 Geological Survey.
South east of Mow Cop and a quarter mile west of the disused Towerhill colliery the Mow Cop pit, ( Sands Colliery ), works the Bullhurst seam from its outcrop. Two old shafts a little further west were evidently on the Winpenny seam.
1931 Sands.
Alderhay Lane Colliery Co Ltd.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Sands 3934. Newchapel, Coal, 8 Foot Banbury. Abandoned 25 3 1899.
7SW 1900. H 1.
Sands 9054.
Newchapel, Coal, Bullhurst. Abandoned 17 8 1927.
7 NW 1900. H 1.

SAND PIT..
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Sand pit 9058.
Audley. Coal, 7 Foot Banbury, Bullhurst. Abandoned 19 8 1927.
11SW 1900. A 12. B 12.
11SE 1926. A 1.

SHUFFALONG..
1905 Geological Survey.
In the neighbourhood of Wall Grange, here the position of several old shafts may be traced, but the seam was thin and has not been worked for several years.

SIDEWOOD OPENCAST.. G.R. 877 572., 872 572. app.

SMALLTHORNE. ( DISTRICT ).
Ironstone, Winghay.
Robert Heath and Lowmoor Ltd.

SLADDERHILL.. See Apedale section.

SILVERDALE COLLIERIES.
1879.
No. 1& 2. Pits.
Top two row coal, 1 ft. thick, 20.5 acres. Present working 12000 tons per year.
Bottom two row coal, 2 ft. 9 ins. 3300 tons per year. Ventilated by a furnace at No. 1. pit
The intake and return are in working order, average duration of the present recoveries 16.5 years.
No. 3 &; 4. Pits.
No. 3. Upcast, No. 4. Downcast for the furnace, it is in working order for drawing.
Nos. 5 6 7. Pits.
Single four foot, vertical section 5 ft. 4 ins. 6000 tons per year of best house coal. Will last for 14 years.
East side not worked since 1875.
Single two foot, 2 ft. 9 ins. Not being worked, levels driven in it. The west side of the crut is in working order.
The east side requires cleaning and timbering.
Single 5 ft. vertical section 6 ft. Fine house coal, also good for coke. 10800 tons per year, present state will last 3 years.
East side requires cleaning and timbering.
Ventilation by furnace at No. 7. Upcast. A portion of the 7 and 8 ft. ventilated by No. 5. Pit.
Nos. 14,15 & 15A.
Pumping engine at the surface of No. 15A.
Nos. 16,17. Pits.
Ironstone, very little coal drawn. Ventilated by the furnace at No. 15.
Nos. 18, 19. Pits.
No. 19 upcast, No. 18 Downcast, ventilation spontaneous, water drawn from No. 18.
Nos. 20, 21. Pits.
Furnace at No 21, No. 20 is the downcast also water drawn.
Blackband ironstones drawn.
Nos. 22, 23. Pits
No. 22 upcast.
Ironstone only.
Collieries c.a. 1881.

NABBS. G.R. 802 474. app.
No. 1 Air Shaft. 8ft. dia. x 200 yds.
Pitch pine frame 24 ft. high with 6 ft. flat rope pulley, cast sills, plates and shoes, runner with wheels and axles.
No. 2 winding shaft. 8 ft. dia. x 250 yds.
Pitch pine frame 20 ft. high with 6 ft. pulley, stays, bracing and cast iron shoes, head and underframe catches and levers.
Flat wire rope 3.5 inch x ¾ inch 280 yards long.
500 yds. 1 inch wire conductors.
Wrought iron cage, landing wagon, signal wire and clapper. Roller and post, wrought iron fire grate castings in air furnace.
Winding Engine.
30 H.P. vertical condensing beam engine 30 inch x 5 ft. 6 inch stroke, with air pump ( in cast iron cistern ) side pipes and nozzles, brackets and hand gear. Mushroom valves and side spindles, baffler valve and injection cock. Indicator and steam gauge. Brake gear and cast iron spring beams.
Winding Gear.
Flywheel 14 inch diameter, 36 inch spur wheel, two 6 ft. 6 inch crown wheels, two 12 ft. niche rings, two 11 ft. niche rings.
Boilers.
Old wagon boiler 21 ft 2 inch x 7 ft. x 3/8 inch.
Cylindrical egg ended boiler 26 ft. 8 inch x 5 ft. 6 inch x 3/8 inch.
Ventilation furnace 7176 cubic feet per minute (1893) two splits.
Seams worked Two row coal and ironstone, 10 ft. coal.
This pit is situated at the side of Nabbs Lane nearer to Scot Hay than the Sherriff pit.
Also a brickworks on the pit bank using various marls including the 7 ft. Banbury warrant to make firebricks.
STANIER WORKED.
Top two row coal and ironstone.
Bottom two row coal.
Eight ft. coal.
Bullhurst coal.
BUTTERLEY WORKED.
Top two row ironstone.
Bottom two row coal.
Ten foot coal. (Worked the Snapes shaft pillar.)
Butterley set up brickmaking plant in1894. No coal or stone raised after September 1894.

SNAPES..( Shown working on Cope's plan of 1852. ) G.R. 807 476 app.
c.a.1881
No. 3 Upcast. 9 ft. dia. x 270 yds.
Pitch pine frame 27 ft. high with cast iron shoes.
9 ft. flat wire rope pulley.
66 ft. 1.5 inch tubbing.
Signal wire and plate.
Castings in air furnace, ( 2 tons 14 cwt.).ENGINE. (This is a replacement engine installed 1857. )
Horizontal, high pressure, 30 inch x 5 ft. stroke with cornish valves and nozzles.
Hammered iron cross head and connecting rod with way shaft, slides and three eccentrics, bolted onto a cast iron bed, 36 ft. x 5 ft. in a pit.
Brake gear, indicators and gauge.
Winding Gear.
17 ft. flywheel, two 13 ft. niche rings.
Boilers.
Two cylindrical boilers with spherical ends 45 ft. x 5 ft 6 inch x 7/16 inch.
Chimney 76 ft. high, 8 ft at the base.
These pits were situated in a field between the Sheriff dirt tip and the Waste farm, High Lane. They were abandoned before 1880 but retained to ventilate the upper workings of No. 6 Sherriff and the associated workings.
Unusually the pits were on the Apedale estate but were always worked by the Silverdale Company.
STANIER WORKED..
Ten foot coal.
Seven foot coal.
Eight foot coal.
Bullhurst.
BUTTERLEY..Used for ventilation and man riding 1882. No coals were worked by the Butterly company and the pits were dismantled by them.

SHERRIFF. .Circa 1881. G.R. 805 473 app
No. 5. Pit ( pumping ) 8 ft. dia. x 310 yds.
Pitch pine frame with stays and bracings, sills and round rope pulley 10 ft. diameter, landing wagon.<
Winding Engine.
45 H.P. horizontal, high pressure, 26 inch x 5 ft. stroke
Ventilation. (1893)
35 ft. Waddle fan and exhaust steam from underground pumping engines.
Also ventilated from the Snapes and Crackley Gate pits.

NO. 5 AND OLD NO. 5. .G.R. 805 473 app.
These pits were the original Sherriff pits.
Old No. 5. 7 ft 6 inch x 185 yds. to Bottom Two row.
18 inch capstan barrel and frame with cast centre piece, six arms and shafts. Frame over pit for capstan rope consisting of four deal baulks 28 ft. x 12 inch x 7 inch, four fir stays 30 ft. and four small baulks, 20 ft.
4 ft pulley<
No. 5. ( Pumping pit ) 8 ft. dia. x 310 yds. to the 8 ft. coal.
Pitch pine frame with stays and bracings, sills and round wire rope, 10 ft dia. pulley.
Engine.
Winding engine 45 H.P. horizontal, high pressure, 26 inch cylinder x 5 ft. stroke.
No. 5. Pit used by both Stanier and Butterley for ventilation and pumping.
Butterley erected a 35 ft. Waddell fan at No. 5.

QUEENS PIT. .Circa 1881.
7 ft. dia. x 150 yds.
Pitch pine frame, 18 ft. high with 6 ft. round rope pulley and two cast sills, with capsey winch attached.
240 yds. of 2.5 inch hemp rope.
Pumptrees, 120 yds. 10 inch pump trees with two working barrels, two clack and two bucket door pieces.
120 yds. 5 inch x 4.5 inch pitch pine pump rods with straps, bolts,couplings and clapper.
Engine.
Vertical, condensing beam engine, 24 inch x 4 ft. stroke.
Used by Stanier and the Butterley for pumping. Dismantled by the Butterley Co. and the pits filled c.a. 1893/5 after the stopping of the lift workings.
( The Queens pit was under the big pit dirt tip. J.J. )

SHERRIFF..0r "Big Pit." Circa. 1881.
No. 6. Winding shaft, 13 ft. dia. x 489 yds. to below the Bullhurst.
Double pitch pine head frame, 38 ft. high, with stays, bracings, sills and cast iron shoes.
Two 13 ft. wire rope pulleys, head and underframe.
1598 yds. pitch pine conductors 5 inch x 4 inch.
182 oak stays 10 inch x 9.5 inch.
Three double deck cages.
575 yds. 1and 3/8 inch round wire rope.
445 yds. 1 and 3/8 inch round wire rope.
Two wrought iron water tubs.
One wooden water tub.
Engines.
Pair of coupled horizontal engines 30 inch x 5 ft. stroke, with two nozzle boxes and four equilibrium brass valves to each valve motion.
With eccentric rods and links, way shafts and balance weights. Reversing gear, hammered iron crossheads, connecting rod and crankshaft.
The whole finished bright with sides, stop and throttle valve, hand wheels and levers, lever brake with straps and footgear, cast beds and holding down bolts.
One 18 ft. dia. drum with cast iron nave and ring.
Sunk to the Winpenny but at only 14 inches thick it was not profitable to work so the Bullhurst level was used as the pit bottom.
In 1881 No. 6. Pit drew from two levels the bottom hooking at 489 yds. and from the lift crut inset at 312 yds. One cage and one rope to each.
The winding was done by rope drums proportionate in size to the depth of wind. The cage capacity was 4 tubs, two on each deck.
The lift workings were connected to No. 5., Old No. 5. the Queens pits and probably the Snapes.
The Sheriff pits were closed about 1918.
STANIER WORKED..
Stanier worked and left open workings;
To the lift :-
Four foot, five foot, ragman, rough 7 ft., hams, top two row, bottom two row, and ten ft.
To the deep :-
Seven foot, eight foot and bullhurst.
BUTTERLEY WORKED..
To the lift :-
Four foot to Sept. 1893.
Five foot to Sept. 1888.
Ragman to Sept. 1892.
Rough 7 ft. to Sept. 1893.
Hams to Sept. 1893.
Ten foot to Sept. 1890.
Top two row coal to Sept. 1886.
Bottom two row coal to March 1893.
Seven foot to Sept. 1890.
Eight foot to Sept. 1892.
Bullhurst to March 1892.
To the deep :-
Ten foot from March 1895 to Sept 1902.
Five foot from Sept. 1896 to Sept 1902.
Rough 7 foot from March 1891 to Sept 1902.
Hams from March 1892 to March 1902.
Ten foot from Sept. 1883 to Sept. 1902
Seven foot from June 1882 to Sept. 1902.
Eight foot from June 1882 to Sept. 1902.
Bullhurst from June 1882 to Sept. 1901.

RAMPING PIT. .Circa. 1881. G.R.. 804 470. app.
No.7. Drawing shaft 6 ft. 6 inch x 159 yds. to Rough 7 ft.
Pitch pine frame 24 ft. high with 6 ft. flat rope pulley.
300 yds. 4.5 inch x 3.5 inch pitch pine conductors.
60 oak stays 5 inch x 4.5 inch.
190 yards flat wire rope 3.5 inch x ¾ inch. ( 14 cwt. )
Single deck cage.
Castings in air furnace 1 ton 14 cwt.
Engine.
30 H.P. high pressure, vertical condensing beam engine 30 inch x 5 ft. stroke.
Air Shaft.
8 ft. dia. x 160 yds. Not numbered. (Possibly one of the Leycett gutter pits.)
The shafts were situated at the side of Haying wood approximately 400 yards from Crackley Gates. Close to a cottage which stands in the lane to Bank Top farm.
Used by Stanier up to 1882 for pumping water from the rough 7 ft. to the 4 ft. gutter level.
Stanier had workings in the :- Four ft, Five foot, Ragman, rough 7 ft., Hams.
The pits were used by the Butterley Co. for pumping, to the gutter level. When the gutter stopped up, to the surface.
.The pumps were taken out by Richard Strick before Cadman's management, the lift pipes were removed near the end of the Butterley term.

BLACKBIRD..
Another shaft in the same field as the Ramping pit, but closer to Crackley Gates.
This field had a tramway through the middle of it which carried coal and ironstone from Kettlemoor to Silverdale furnaces.

CRACKLEY (GATE) OR SCOT HAY.. Circa 1881. G.R. 803 472 app.<
No. 8. 8 ft. dia. x 260 yds. to the Bullhurst.
Double pitch pine frame 24 ft. high.
Flat rope pulley 6 ft. dia.
500 yds. 1 inch wire conductors.
Single deck cage, landing wagon.
Signal and wire. 270 yds. flat wire rope 3.5 inch x ¾ inch. (1 ton 18 cwt.)
NO. 9. 8 ft. dia. x 241 yds..
Double pitch pine frame 24 ft. high.
6 ft. wire rope pulley.
430 yds. 1 inch wire rope conductors.
250 yds. flat wire rope 3.5 inch x ¾ inch. ( 1 ton 4 cwt. )
Castings in air furnace. (1 ton 9 cwt.)
Engine.
25 H.P. horizontal, high pressure, 18 inch x 3 ft 6 inch stroke.
Butterley erected a 16 ft. dia. Guibal fan in 1900.
STANIER WORKED..
Stanier used them for ventilation and winding, getting 7 ft. 8 ft. and Bullhurst but in 1882 only 7 ft. coal.
BUTTERLEY WORKED..
Seven feet, eight feet, Bullhurst.

HAYING.. Circa 1881.
NO. 10. 8 ft dia. x 130 yds. to Brown mine ironstone.
Pitch pine frame 20 ft. high, with cast iron shoes and 8 ft. flat wire rope pulley.
250 yds. 4 inch x 4.5 inch pitch pine conductors.
50 oak stays 10 ft. x 5 inch x 6 inch.
Single deck cage.
170 yds. flat wire rope 3.5 inch x ¾ inch
Capstan winch, 160 yds. 1.5 inch hemp rope.
Engine.
Horizontal, high pressure, 18 inch x 3 ft 6 inch stroke.
Used for winding and pumping.
Situated at the start of the Haying Wood directly above the Ramping pit.
Stanier worked the Brown mine ironstone and also used the pits for pumping. Pumping was continued for about a year by Butterley Co.
after which the machinery was completely dismantled by them. Butterley did not work the ironstone.

NO. 11..
No details, probably a gutter pit on the Leycett gutter.

HOLLYWOOD.. Circa 1881. G.R. 804 464. app
No. 12 Drawing shaft, 8 ft. x 220 yds. to the Gold mine ironstone.
Double pitch pine frame to No. 12 and 13 pits, 24 ft. high, with stays, bracings, and two cast shoes.
Two round rope pulleys 8 ft. dia.
Castings in air furnace ( 1 ton 10 cwt.)
450 yds. 5 inch x 4 inch conductors.
88 oak stays 10 ft. x 5 inch x 6 inch.
280 yds. 1 and 1/8 inch wire rope.
Signal bell and wire.
1250 ft. of 6 inch sanitary pipes from loading platform to Kents Lane engine pool.
No. 13. 9 ft. x 220 yds.
250 yds. 5 inch x 4 inch conductors.
88 oak stays 10 ft. x 5 inch x 6 inch.
316 yds. round wire rope.
Tramway to furnace mine bank.
510 yds. wrought iron rails.
618 yds. wrought iron angle rails.
2984 yds. cast iron rails.
4114 cast iron sleepers.
98 yds. wrought iron sleepers.
41 sets cast iron points and crossings.
54 cast side pulleys.
4 ft. round rope pulley in frame.
1 boiler 20 ft. x 4 ft 6 inch.
Wire rope 380 yds. 1 inch dia.
Wire rope 290 yds. 1 and ¼ inch dia.
Engine, Horizontal,12 inch x 2 ft stroke.
Ventilation . (1893.)
3 splits, 6138 cubic feet / minute.
Seams worked Brown mine, Chalky mine, Sheath mine ironstones.
Butterley erected a 16 ft. Guibal fan in 1899.
Filled in during the 1930's.
STANIER WORKED.
Great row coal.
Little mine coal.
Sheathmine ironstone.
Chalkey mine ironstone.
Brown mine ironstone.
Gold mine ironstone.
Bassey mine or Blackband ironstone.
BUTTERLEY WORKED..Great row coal to Sept. 1899.
Little mine coal to Sept. 1902.
Sheath mine ironstone to Sept. 1891.
Chalkey mine ironstone to March 1894.
Brown mine ironstone to Sept. 1900.
Gold mine ironstone to Sept. 1887.

KENTS LANE. Circa 1881.
No. 14. 8 ft dia. x 285 yds. to the Little mine.
Double pitch pine frame 28 ft. high with 6 cast shoes, pins and bolts.
Two 10 ft. flat rope pulleys with wrought arms.
560 yds. 4.5 inch x 3.5 inch conductors. (pitch pine ?)
114 oak stays 10 ft. x 5 inch x 6 inch.
Double deck cage.
370 yds. 3.5 inch x ¾ inch flat wire rope. (1 ton 13 cwt. )
No. 15. Drawing shaft 8 ft. dia. x 285 yds.
560 yds. 4.5 inch x 3.5 inch conductors. (pitch pine ?).
114 oak stays 10 ft. x 5 inch x 6 inch.
Double deck cage.
370 yds. 3.5 inch x ¾ inch flat wire rope.
Ventilation (1893).
Exhaust steam from underground haulage engines.
3 splits 34083 cubic feet per minute.
Seams worked Little mine, Cannel mine, Brown mine.
STANIER WORKED..
Great row, little mine, cannel mine, sheath mine ironstone, chalkey mine ironstone, brown mine ironstone.
BUTTERLEY WORKED..
Little mine coal to March 1894.
Cannel mine ironstone to March 1889.
Sheath mine ironstone to March 1893.
Chalkey mine ironstone to Sept. 1900.
Brown mine ironstone to Sept. 1900.
Butterley removed the pumps in the Little mine east in 1896.

PUMPING SHAFT.. Circa 1881.
8 ft. dia. x 306 yds.
Pitch pine frame 30 ft. high with round rope pulley, sills and bolts.
400 yds. 3 inch hemp rope. ( 1 ton 4 cwt.)
310 yds. 12 inch pump trees with 12 ram chambers, 12 inch solid brass clacks and pieces, castings, nuts and bolts. ( 81 tons 2 cwt. )
240 yds pitch pine rods with straps, bolts and couplings.
60 yds. 5 inch rods.
400 yds. 1 and ¼ inch hemp rope.

KENTS LANE.. Circa 1881.
No. 16. Drawing shaft, 8 ft. x 120 yds.
Pitch pine frame 25 ft. high with 9 ft. round rope pulley.
240 yds pitch pine conductors 4.5 inch x 3.5 inch.
48 oak stays 10 ft. x 5 inch x 6 inch.
280 yds. 1 and 1/8 inch wire rope. ( 12 cwt. )
Single deck cage.
Castings in air furnace. ( 1 ton 8 cwt. )
Signal bell and wire.
(No. 16. Shaft was very close to numbers 14 and 15, latterly enclosed in a brick building.

KENTS LANE. (THE COMET PIT.).
No 17. Drawing shaft 8 ft. x 135 yds. to the Red mine ironstone.
Pitch pine frame 24 ft. high with 9 ft. rope pulley.
270 yds. 5 inch x 3.5 inch pitch pine conductors.
54 oak stays 10 ft x 5 inch x 6 inch.
300 yds. 1 and ¼ inch wire rope.
Single deck cage.
Wrought iron water barrel.
This was the last shaft used at Silverdale when widened and deepened to 16 ft dia. and 300 yds.
No. 17. Was 150 yds. to the Red mine ironstone and was widened from 7 ft. to 13 ft. by the Butterley
Co. Butterley erected a new winding engine and modernised the plant , the old engine was transferred to the new Grove pits.<
STANIER WORKED..
Red mine, Blackband and Red shagg. Ironstones.
BUTTERLEY WORKED..
Blackband in 1896.
Red shagg to Sept. 1902.
Red mine to March 1901.

KENTS LANE. No.22. circa 1881.
No. 22 Drawing shaft 8 ft. dia. x 300 yds.
Double pitch pine frame, 28 ft. high with two round rope pulleys 9 ft. dia.
600 yds. of 5 inch x 4.5 inch pitch pine conductors.
100 ft. of 3 inch x 2 inch T iron forming fence to guides.
Single deck cage.
360 yds. 1 and ¼ inch steel wire rope.
Two signals and wire.
Roller frame with two pulleys 25 ft. high.
120 oak stays 10 ft. x 5 inch x 7 inch.
No. 23. Drawing shaft. Dimensions probably the same as No. 22.
Castings in air furnace, 1 ton 11 cwt.
600 yds. 4.5 inch x 5 inch pitch pine conductors.
120 oak stays 10 ft. x 5 inch x 7 inch.
Single deck cage.
416 yds. 1 and 1/4; inch wire rope.
Numbers 22 and 23 may well have been included in the pits to draw coal for use at the ironworks, c.a. 1830, if so they were deep for the time.
Used by Stanier for ventilation and winding lean ironstones, machinery left by Stanier. Butterley worked the lean ironstones for a few years, the machinery was then dismantled by them.

MILLBANK.. (1903.)
Downcast. 8 ft. dia x 172 yds.
Upcast. 8 ft. dia x 150 yds
Two pitch pine head frames 34 ft. high, 13 inch square pitch pine frames.
Cast iron head sheaves 10 ft. dia. on 4 inch square shaft pedestals.
1 and ¼ inch rope guides to cage.
Bell signal gear.
500 yds. 1 inch plough steel rope.
500 yds. 5/8 inch plough steel rope.
These were the last of the Millbank pits, ( other shafts are shown on O.S.) They only drew the ironstones.
The pit head gear was left for many years after abandonment, possibly with a view to reopening,
but they were finally dismantled by the Shelton Company about the time of the first war.
END OF THE SILVERDALE COLLIERIES.

STONE ROAD..
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Stone Road 1953
Coal, Ash, Twist. Abandoned prior to Oct. 1886.
18SW 1925. B 12. C 12.
18SE 1925. B 1. C 1.2.
Stone Road.
Ironstone, New Mine, Chalkey, Ragmine, Deepmine. 1860 to 1876.
Plans Florence Coal and Iron Co. Trustees Late Duke of Sutherland.
18SE 1925. B 1.3. C 1.2.3.
Stone Road.
Coal and ironstone, Deep Mine, 1856, Little Mine 1882, Gin Mine 1884.
Plans G. A. Mitcheson.
18SW 1925. B 12. C 12.
18SE 1925. B 1. C 1.2.

SUN STREET..
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Sun Street 6206. Fireclay, weak marl. Abandoned 30 9 1910.
12SW 1926. H 4
Sun Street 6576 Fireclay, Seven feet. Abandoned june 1915.
12SW 1926. H 4.
Sun Street 6872. Fireclay, strong marl, Seven feet. Abandoned 23 2 1917.
12SW 1926. H 4.

SUTHERLAND.. See Stafford Coal and Iron.
1896.
Manager P. Brennon.
216 u/g, 43 a/g.
Coal and ironstone, Ash, Little.

SLAPPENFIELD.. See Lawton and Harecastle collieries. G.R. 830 546. app.
1896 Slappenfield, Harecastle.
Bidder and Elliot, Harecastle and Woodshutts Collieries.
Standing.

STRIP AND AT IT.. See Knutton section.

SHOP BANK.. See Trubshawe.

SPEEDWELL.. G.R. 912 441. app. ( Shown on the O.S. as Speedwall. )
1905 Geological Survey.
" The Ash coal was formerly got by opencast 150 yards to the north east of the Speedwell colliery to the north of Anchor Road, Longton."
The marine character of the fauna was first noticed during the sinking of a shaft as far back as 1865 at the Speedwell colliery, Longton.
Cat Ab Mine plans 1929.
Speedwell --- See Berry Hill, Mossfield.
Coal, Birches.
Plans Mossfield Colliery Co. Longton.
18NE 1925. G 1. H 1.2.

SPEEDWELL.. G.R. 855 542. ?
Clough Hall, Kidsgrove.

SCHOOLGROUND.. See Knutton section.

SALTERS LANE..
Footrail.
? and Tams
Closed and footrail of the same name opened near Cheadle.

SANDBACH.. G.R. 873 486. app.
John Ward c.a. 1838.
" and the trustees for the poor of Sandbach, who upwards of a century ago purchased from the Biddulphs about 54 acres here ( Ruston )
out of certain charity monies under their control, this land abounding with coal has recently become very profitable and proved a mine of wealth to the fortunate parishioners of Sandbach,
though its original cost was only about 400 as we calculated from the table of benefactions."
1882. Sandbach colliery Tellwright and Watkin.
1900 Smith and Pointon, Sandbach Colliery, Cobridge.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Sandbach.
Ironstone, Halfyards and seam unnamed . Abandoned 1834 to 1885.
Sandbach 2448.
Coal and ironstone, Red Mine Abandoned 21 3 1890.
12SW 1926. D 2.3. E 3.
Sandbach 5443.
Coal, Peacock. Abandoned Dec 1907.
12SW 1926. D 3.4. E 3.
Sandbach 6712.
Coal, Great Row. Abandoned 20 10 1917.
12SW 1926. D 3.4. E 3.

SCOT HAY.. See Silverdale section.
Richard Parrott 1733
At Scot Hay Kelsall and Viggars had coleworks.
1733 Theodosia Bate, widow, coal pits at Bateswood.
1790's William Sneyd and Co. working pits at Scot Hay to supply Silverdale ironworks.
Scot Hay Numbers 8 & 9.
Also known as Crackley Gates, Stanier then Butterley
1896 Standing.

SKYLARK..
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Skylark 8478.
Audley, Coal, ten feet. Abandoned 4 5 1926.
11NW 1900. G 11. H 11.
Skylark 8981.
Audley, Coal, Top Two Row, Ten Feet. Abandoned 2 4 1927.
11NW 1900. G 11. H 11.

SHERRIFF.. See Silverdale section.
1896 Sherriff Number 6.
Butterley Co.
Manager J. C. Cadman. undermanager John Shenton
335 u/g, 117 a/g.
Coal, Rough 7 Foot, 10 Foot, 7 Foot Banbury, 8 Foot Banbury, Bullhurst.

SPRINGWOOD.. See Chesterton section.

SPRINGWOOD NUMBER 2..
Footrail.
J. W. Buik and J. Barnett, Springwood, Chesterton, Staffs.
Coal, household, Stoney 8 Foot.
12 u/g, 4 a/g.

SLIPPERY LANE.. See Shelton collieries.
Shelton.

SHIGGY..Kidsgrove.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929 see Harecastle 9309.

SNOW HILL..
Not mentioned in Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

SNOW HILL..
Footrail. Goldenhill, Jones.

STANFIELD.. G.R. 874 511. app.
John Ward ca. 1838.
Stanfields colliery, Messrs. Cork and Ford.
White's Directory 1851.
Cork and Ford, Stanfields colliery and Navigation Road.
Slater's Directory 1851.
Stanfield colliery.
Cork and Ford.
1869 Heath and Norris.
N.S.I.M.M.E.
William Heath, Stanfields colliery, Burslem. Elected 1872.
William Heath 1827 1903, born Talke o th Hill was working in a local pit in 1834 aged 7.
Heath later worked at Bank Top colliery, ( and possibly Jackfields ), becoming the manager and later part owner of Stanfield colliery. See Sneyd.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929
Stanfields 1885.
Coal, Winghay Ab 28 9 1885. Seam unnamed 1868.
Plans Chatterley Whitfield Collieries.
12NW 1925. E 2.3. F 2.3.4. G 3.
Stanfield
Coal, Rowhurst.
Plans Sneyd Collieries Ltd., Burslem.
12 NW 1925. F 2.3.4. G 3.

STARVATION.. See Clough Hall, Kidsgrove section.

STIRRUP AND PYE.. See Adderley Green Colliery.

STOCKTON BROOK ADIT..
1905 geological Survey.
350 yards east of Earlsway house and 300 yards west of Stony Edge, Rushton James. The third grit coal worked to a considerable extent about the Roaches to the north and at Ipstones to the south.

SMITH'S GUTTER AND TABENER LEVEL..
Coal, Tabenor abandoned about 1790.
Plans G. A. Mitcheson.
18NW 1925. B 11. C 11. D 11. E 11.

SUDDEN..
Sudden colliery, Bucknall.
Working 1880 1890 ?
Not mentioned Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

SCOTCH AND SWEEPINGS THROUGH.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Psh. Wolstanton, Audley.
Coal, Great Row.
Ironstone, Bassey Mine, Red Mine, Red Shag, Blackband or Half Yards. Abandoned about 1863.
11NE 1925 E 6.7. F 5.6.7.

SNAPES.. See Silverdale section.

SWINGLE HILL.. Colliery G.R. 901 433 app. Ironworks 899 432 app
During the 1870's Thomas Goddard and Son acquired the Swingle Hill Colliery. ( Longton, John Briggs. )
1905 Geological Survey.
Swingle Hill, Longton, the Woodmine ironstone was formerly worked.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Swingle Hill; Foley.
Coal, Little Mine Abandoned 1882
Plans G. A. Mitcheson.
18SW 1925. A 10. 11. B 11.
Swingle Hill and Oldfield.
Coal, Great Row, Cannel Row. Abandoned prior to Oct 1882.
18NW 1925. G 9. H 9.10.
18SW 1925. A 9.10.11. B 1O.11.

SCOTIA COLLIERY.. G.R. 867 512. app. ( At the end of Scotia Lane.)
Hugh Henshall Williamson 1785 1867 was by 1828 working the Scotia, Pinnox and Little Pits
Collieries and later the Pinnox ironworks. Originally the collieries supplied potters coal but became important for the ironstones.
Emmanuel Lovekin was working at Scotia colliery about 1843 but left to work at Turnhurst colliery.
In 1856 he left Turnhurst and went back to Scotia to work as a butty with his father in law John Simcock.
When H.H. Williamson died in 1867 Scotia and Pinnox were abandoned and pumping ceased. Consequently other collieries including Bycars, Jackfield and Bank Top were drowned out. Only
Sneyd was kept open.

SCOTIA BANK COLLIERY..
No details known.

SANDFORD HILL.. See Woodhouse estate.
N.S.I.M.M.E.
Felix Hawley, Sandford Hill Colliery. Elected 1872.
Not mentioned in the Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.

SHAWE..
1896 Shawe, Kingsley.
Kingsley Mining Co. Ltd, Kingsley, S-on-T.
Manager Charles Shaw Jnr.
17 u/g 7 a/g.
Coal.
1900 Kingsley Mining Co.
Cat Ab Mine Plans 1929.
Shawe 5176
Psh. Kingsley.
Coal, Woodhead. Abandoned 28 May 1907.

STACKYARD.. See Shelton Collieries.

SYTCH CROSS..
1869 Thomas Wood.

SWAN..
1880. Rigby and Co

Back to list of Pit Names