A HISTORY OF APEDALE COLLIERY

By Jim Worgan


Although there was an Apedale Colliery in production in the mid to late 1800's, it was not until 1941 that Holditch Mines drove a small drift mine at Apedale which was known as Apedale Footrail Colliery. It worked principally on the Pillar and Stall method, but shortly before closure in 1969, a shearer was introduced on a short length face and it broke the European productivity record. On closure it was taken over by a group of local businessmen and operated as a ~Small Mine~ employing less than 30 men underground, basically working out the old pillars. At the time of writing it is still in production and owned by the Aurora Mining Company.

See also Old Pits By Geoff Mould

BACK to MAPBACK to NAMES BACK to APEDALE