The Colliery was sunk in around 1865 and is recorded as being owned by J. Challinor & Co. in 1888. The Colliery surface was situated in both a densely populated and industrial area and consequently a very large shaft pillar was required to protect the surrounding areas. It exploited the very rich coking coals but because of the pillar, most workings were a long way from the shaft and towards the end of its life was working faces in a south easterly direction adjacent to faces from Florence Colliery being worked in a north westerly direction. In the late 1950,s, both cages went down the shaft and during the recovery operations most of the men were transferred on a temporary basis to Hem Heath Colliery. On the 13th June 1963 an explosion occurred in a heading which resulted in the death of 3 men. The Colliery was never profitable towards the end of its life and closure came in 1964 with the majority of men being transferred to Hem Heath Colliery.
Following closure, the dirt tip was reclaimed and a mine car with a commemorative plaque was placed on the southern side of the site to mark its association with mining. The Fenton Tip Reclamation Scheme was officially inaugurated by the Prime Minister, The Right Honourable Edward Heath M.P. in October 1971. The resulting Glebedale Park Reclamation Scheme (Fenton Tip) was officially opened by the then Chairman of the National Coal Board, Mr. Derek Ezra on Wednesday 2nd May 1973.
See also Old Pits By Geoff Mould
BACK to MAP BACK to NAMES BACK to GLEBE