The Colliery, which was also known as Leycett, had 4 shafts, possibly 2 separate Collieries, named Harrison and Woodburn and Fair Lady and Bang Up. It is shown as being owned in 1875 by the Crewe Coal and Iron Company and the Fair Lady Pit was the scene of a disaster in 1880 when 62 men and Boys were killed. It was subsequently owned by the Silverdale Colliery Company, The Madeley Coal and Brick (1905) Company and finally Madeley Collieries Ltd. A private railway line connected the Colliery to the Crewe - Stafford Main line close to the site of Madeley Station. In close proximity to the Madeley site, the remains of the original North Staffordshire railway line from Silverdale, which closed due to subsidence in the 1870's, can still be traced.
The Colliery was never really profitable due to adverse geological conditions and it closed in 1957 with most of the men being transferred to Hem Heath Colliery. After closure, the majority of the village was demolished and the site subsequently formed part of the Bateswood Opencast site.
See also Old Pits By Geoff Mould
BACK to MAP BACK to NAMES BACK to MADELEY