The Colliery was sunk around 1819 to work the lower series of seams. In both 1875 and 1888 the Colliery is recorded as being owned by Hawley and Co. It was equipped with tandem headgears (both shafts to one side of the winding engine) and was known locally as `Owd Sal'. The Colliery suffered 2 major disasters on the 16th October 1889 66 Killed) and the 21st March 1940. (11 killed) (A physical connection was made underground with Adderley Green Colliery (1799 - 1939) which remained a pumping pit during the life of Mossfield. The Colliery closed in 1963 with the majority of the men being transferred to Hem Heath Colliery.
See also Old Pits By Geoff Mould
BACK to MAP BACK to NAMES BACK to MOSSFIELD